Preview Round V: Dees vs the lethargic Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

Lost a match by a few goals WCE in Perth when we were told footy was cancelled an hour earlier.

Beat Carlton by a point, lost to Geelong by a point, had a game cancelled.

No idea what the ladder looks like and don't really care enough to check, but last I saw Fremantle and Adelaide were 0/4 and we were 1/2.

Lost a match by a few goals WCE in Perth when we were told footy was cancelled an hour earlier.

Beat Carlton by a point, lost to Geelong by a point, had a game cancelled.

No idea what the ladder looks like and don't really care enough to check, but last I saw Fremantle and Adelaide were 0/4 and we were 1/2.

Its the way we are playing, such a simplistic way to look at it how its outlined by you.

An absolute flogging is on our doorstep, make no mistake.

We've been relying on the kindness of the opposition for a win and semi "acceptable" losses so far.

Like I've said before, I've been far more positive about us after some 7 or 8 goal losses in the past. What we're serving up right now is some of the worst football I've seen since Neeld. Especially on offense. Absoutely disgraceful.

AVB wasn't injured so he can get out, being that invisible in a game isn't good enough.

Oddly comforted by Hibberd playing one good game after being sh*te for ages, I think we'd have lost by a lot more if he hadn't been so cool down back. If he keeps taking short and safe options by foot he's back to best 22.

On the other hand May and Salem need to stop taking safe options and start helping us to generate more creative offence from the back half. IDC if they turn it over through the centre of the ground but it's better than turning it over by kicking to outnumbered contests on the wing.
After May's performance vs the Blues I'm happy for him to take it safe from kick-ins.

Have said it before but I want Salem taking kick-ins, but try advance the ball to May 30-40M out from our defensive goal. Give May the chance to hit 60M diagonals to either wing and get the opponents backpedalling; you know Tomlinson and Langdon are going to hold their width and give May options from that kinda range. A screw up in that scenario isn't as dangerous either.

Think our ball movement was adventurous enough honestly, lots of good decisions exploiting slight openings, kicks just didn't come off completely. Inside 50 again, the kicks to Fritta(which he dropped) and Milkshakes one on one put those guys at an advantage consistently but they slipped over and screwed it up. We gotta give this forward line a chance, although I'm all for one extra tall like Weed just so people can stop getting on TMac's back. Crashing 5-10 packs and kicking a big goal, when you're the lone tall forward, is a fine effort. Just need the mid sized forwards to hang on to easy marks and take advantage of your size, and lead into the space opened up when your tall forward is drawing 2-3 every single contest inside 50.

I know this is too simplistic, but then again i'm not an AFL coach so there's that, but it feels like the gameplan we have has become some so layered and complex and confusing that the players have lost their instincts and are playing away from their strengths, and it all seems so forced and disconnected. And I think we can all see that.

What I want to see is a reversion back to a more basic style of play, yes have our game style, have our zones, have our set ups at stoppages and all that, but let's use those structures as a springboard that allows players to be aggressive and creative when they get the ball without any repercussions when they inevitably stuff it up and the opposition scores some cheap goals. because I'd rather that happen and see us score some nice goals, maybe even get a run on in some parts of the game, and probably lose anyway then these 50 all garbage fests that sap everyone from the players to supporters of all confidence and enjoyment from their souls on a weekly basis

In-depth analysis like this makes me think I should have been a senior coach.

"Yeah nah boi defended well. Really good to see."
"Defended, presented, looked dangerous."
"bloke blerdy derp derp footy."
"Dangerous space zone footy good to see."

What the **** was he saying.

In-depth analysis like this makes me think I should have been a senior coach.

"Yeah nah boi defended well. Really good to see."
"Defended, presented, looked dangerous."
"bloke blerdy derp derp footy."
"Dangerous space zone footy good to see."

What the fu** was he saying.

Yea nah > Journey & Learnings. 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jayden Hunt is our leading goal kicker, with 4?

For how many years have we been saying we don’t have a proper forward line...

Hopefully our clubs leading goal kicker this year comes in at single digits, would look amazing on the honour board at the club.

Last edited:

We had one in 2018

We've been relying on the kindness of the opposition for a win and semi "acceptable" losses so far.

Like I've said before, I've been far more positive about us after some 7 or 8 goal losses in the past. What we're serving up right now is some of the worst football I've seen since Neeld. Especially on offense. Absoutely disgraceful.
v West Coast in round 1 - fail to create scoreboard pressure from early opportunities, watch them walk in 5 goals with maximum efficiency they can then sleepwalk to a 5 goal victory for the rest of the game given our impotence.

v Carlton - only really got to a large lead because Carlton showed a stunning lack of footy IQ at the stoppages allowing Gawn and co to do as they pleased for the first 40 odd minutes of the game. Once the Blues wised up, we looked cooked.

v Geelong - only got close because of Geelong’s inexplicably cowardly ball movement. If they had’ve been adventurous for 20 minutes of game time they could have put a gap in us and won with a leg in the air ala West Coast in round 1 because of our inability to score in a structured fashion.

So yeah, it’s hard to see much blue sky this year. We’re averaging less than 50 points per game and a 7 point deficit may as well be 7 goals because of our inability to score quickly and consecutively.

Will the real Tmac, please stand up?

Was 2018 a fluke? A purple patch? Big grabs and straight kicking from the previous CHB honest toiler. Played his role against the cats, brought a heap to ground whilst outnumbered in the air and kicked a good goal at an important stage of the match, but was it enough?

We're 1-2, season on the line already (lol) and it's time for him to stand up against a ravaged Tigers defence with Astbury out. There's no more excuses, if we want to become a good team again we need a reliable key forward and that's him. Forget Weideman and Brown, they're second fiddle, if at all. Tmac had one of the highest average goals per games in 2018, yet had an injury ravaged preseason/2019. Apparently did all of this year's preseason and is the senior player in our forwardline.

Get up the ground, get some marks along the wing to get your confidence up. I think he plays best when he can roam and get on the end of a few, get the ball into his hands. He's perfectly capable of those 18-20 disposal, 8 mark games that stretch the defence and create space behind him for our smalls to run into.

Now's the time, Tom. If I was Goody I'd be putting it squarely on his shoulders. If you can't do it, we'll plan for the future without you in the forwardline and look to trade someone else in. Because we've gotta know and we can't keep crossing our fingers to see if 2018 was an anomaly.

Was 2018 a fluke? A purple patch?

I'm beginning to believe so somewhat.

Not so much a fluke but definitely a purple patch.

Tom's always been the type who's play heavily relies on confidence. I'm convinced playing him at the start of last year when he was clearly carrying a injury and no longer jumping for the ball like he was in 2018 has ruined him somewhat.

He was playing a lot off instinct in 2018, see ball/get ball... looks like a bloke down on confidence and overthinking things right now.

We had a functioning forward line every year we had Hogan fit. Crazy the difference that one player/presence can make.

We had a functioning forward line every year we had Hogan fit. Crazy the difference that one player/presence can make.

It functioned best in 2018 when he wasn't in the side let's not forget.

Was 2018 a fluke? A purple patch? Big grabs and straight kicking from the previous CHB honest toiler. Played his role against the cats, brought a heap to ground whilst outnumbered in the air and kicked a good goal at an important stage of the match, but was it enough?

We're 1-2, season on the line already (lol) and it's time for him to stand up against a ravaged Tigers defence with Astbury out. There's no more excuses, if we want to become a good team again we need a reliable key forward and that's him. Forget Weideman and Brown, they're second fiddle, if at all. Tmac had one of the highest average goals per games in 2018, yet had an injury ravaged preseason/2019. Apparently did all of this year's preseason and is the senior player in our forwardline.

Get up the ground, get some marks along the wing to get your confidence up. I think he plays best when he can roam and get on the end of a few, get the ball into his hands. He's perfectly capable of those 18-20 disposal, 8 mark games that stretch the defence and create space behind him for our smalls to run into.

Now's the time, Tom. If I was Goody I'd be putting it squarely on his shoulders. If you can't do it, we'll plan for the future without you in the forwardline and look to trade someone else in. Because we've gotta know and we can't keep crossing our fingers to see if 2018 was an anomaly.
He’s been putrid. However, like our coaches, I have every confidence that he’ll regain top form with the midfield continuing to bomb it in blindly at every opportunity as well as him being the only key forward selected in the side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round V: Dees vs the lethargic Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back