Opinion Sack Hinkley 11 - Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the ABC this morning Hinkley was telling the world that, 'Being booed by fans is all part of the job. If you cannot take being booed by the crowd you probably should not be doing my job.'

Finally, there is one thing we can agree with Ken about, he should not be doing his job.

I have been following Port since the 1950s and I can never recall the Coach of the Port Adelaide Football Club being booed and heckled off the oval. It may have happened in the latter years of Choco's reign but that was the first time I had ever seen it. History in the making as far as I am concerned.

On the SEVEN News last evening they carried a story about the booing of Ken Hinkley. As part of the report SEVEN interviewed several supporters as they were leaving the ground, they were scathing in their opinions and called for Ken to go.

The perception that we are going nowhere under Ken Hinkley is now gaining momentum among supporters and what is more it is getting airplay and is no longer under the carpet.

Surely Koch and the Board are not oblivious to the now widespread feeling of dissatisfaction? Surely they witnessed the fans voting with their feet yesterday? If there were 32,864 people at the ground yesterday almost half of them had left half way through the last quarter. That has to be a concern to Koch and his Board. You would think that if there is one thing that might jolt a financial guru like Koch into action it is the effect of Hinkley's lack of success on the Club's balance sheet.

I suspect the time is right for a protest of some description. Carpe diem folks, carpe diem.

Last edited:

"If you can't cope with it, you shouldn't be in my job. I can cope with it."

This is the bloke that hides away after we get bottled out of the season each year, right? The one that called and abused the media outlets that dated question him once? That guy can "cope with it"?

**** me he's the slimiest of used car salesman
And the one that disappears prior to fan question time at ever AGM since a few of us took him on at an AGM about 4-5 years ago. Gutless prick. If he was any good he would be able to front the members but he's not smart enough. He absolutely infuriates me & has since mid 2015 when it was abundantly clear to me that we had a fraud coaching us.

Ridiculous if true. Players aren't there to love the coach. They're there to win games of football and ultimately the premiership. When and why did all this sh*t become relevant when assessing a coach?
This is elite level sport not a fk*n love in. We exist to win premierships, that's it, everything else is fluff & BS. So over all this soft crap.

I'm sick of the excuses, the double standards, the gaslighting etc that seems to occur year, upon year, upon year.

I know for a fact that Hinkley has already been telling anyone who will listen to him within the footy department that the personnel in the forward line is not good enough to compete for a flag, and he's using that as an excuse to (hopefully in his eyes) piggyback himself to another year in the job.

This Muppet would have been run out of any Victorian club years ago! Instead, he is applauded by the media as a statesman of the Club - with absolutely nothing other than a McLelland Trophy in a compromised season to show for nearly 12 consecutive seasons in the one position as senior coach of our Club.

Today was a turning point. Despite such a terrible loss today, they are still 8-6. On paper, there is enough reason to pause and suggest that they can turn the season around relatively quickly with a few wins. At the same time, a few more losses would send them to around .500 at 8-8, at which point you can kiss top 4 hopes goodbye, and thus any chance of a flag goodbye.

The Board is only going to get rid of Ken once they are at the point of no return. It will be the moment they are ruled out of the finals that the Club can confidently act, knowing that they've given the coach every possible opportunity to turn things around - just like you see soccer coaches sacked once their team has been eliminated from the European league qualification standings in their domestic league table.

It means that the next month or so has the potential to get incredibly ugly. I can't actually recall a single day where the fans have been so in unison to get rid of Hinkley - not since the 0-5 start in 2022, when he (unfortunately) had enough time to weasel his way out of a precarious situation, and even then he survived a 4 game losing streak at the end of the year when the Club was in finals contention.

As unfortunate as it sounds, if we want change, we have to want the Club to continue to lose. We need the Club to become such a rabble on-field that the only recourse is for the Board to act and for Ken to be moved on.

It's amusing to me because Ken has told people at high levels within the Club within the last 12 months that if things go south, he would be happy to step aside for a new coach to come in. I believe that is nothing more than a dog whistle, but now that things are indeed going south, maybe Ken it is time for you to revisit those comments. Maybe your next point of call should be to have your manager Peter Blucher contact Chris Davies to discuss your severance package.

You Ken, have told people within the Club that you want to remain in Adelaide and remain part of the Port Adelaide community for the long term. If you care so much about our Club like you have proclaimed - do the right thing and arrange a payout over multiple years to 1) secure your financial future heading into retirement and 2) ensures the Club doesn't blow their soft cap next year which will allow a new coach to have a fully funded footy department on hand.

Can you see david Koch actually admitting he was wrong to extend Hinkleys contract last year.

He and so many others at the club and the media loved being able to stick a finger in the eyes of the supporters last year when they won 13 games ( including tredders).

Do you really think he and others can put aside their egoes and do what’s best for PAFC?

No chance.
Hinkley ain’t going no where.

Listening to the round so far was interesting. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but sounds like Kane knows Ken will quit before being sacked, probably sometime this season.

It can be perceived as gutless by the club but may save us some coin and at the end of the day I don't care so long as he's gone.

One thing Kane was definitely right about it is that we have to look far and wide and go for the best possible coach not just hand it to Josh Carr because of a gentleman's hand shake. Time to be ruthless like the end of 1987.

gordon ramsay fox GIF by Gordon Ramsay's 24 Hours to Hell and Back

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Listening to the round so far was interesting. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but sounds like Kane knows Ken will quit before being sacked, probably sometime this season.

It can be perceived as gutless by the club but may save us some coin and at the end of the day I don't care so long as he's gone.

One thing Kane was definitely right about it is that we have to look far and wide and go for the best possible coach not just hand it to Josh Carr because of a gentleman's hand shake. Time to be ruthless like the end of 1987.

Ken is totally going to quit, gives the AFL media the sob story they’re pining for.

“YOU CANT SACK ME BECAUSE I QUIT”

Everyone who was part of the decision making process that led to this statement has to go:

View attachment 2027396
View attachment 2027397

It’s an absolute farce of the highest order that these massive strategic decisions are made yet nobody’s career hinges on them — like the club is some dodgy family trust beneath a legacy business where various deadsh¡ts who share a surname collect all the usual wages and perks regardless of performance.

“Totally aligned”
“Unanimously endorsed”

They should all be gone.

They say it was a "...thorough process..." yet the footy committee never even consulted with the Club's director of coaching through said process. Such a joke.

Ken is totally going to quit, gives the AFL media the sob story they’re pining for.

“YOU CANT SACK ME BECAUSE I QUIT”
Wouldn't that just be the ultimate slap in the face. If after all the bullshit we've had to endure, we don't even get the catharsis of a good sacking.

I'm sick of the excuses, the double standards, the gaslighting etc that seems to occur year, upon year, upon year.

I know for a fact that Hinkley has already been telling anyone who will listen to him within the footy department that the personnel in the forward line is not good enough to compete for a flag, and he's using that as an excuse to (hopefully in his eyes) piggyback himself to another year in the job.

This Muppet would have been run out of any Victorian club years ago! Instead, he is applauded by the media as a statesman of the Club - with absolutely nothing other than a McLelland Trophy in a compromised season to show for nearly 12 consecutive seasons in the one position as senior coach of our Club.

Today was a turning point. Despite such a terrible loss today, they are still 8-6. On paper, there is enough reason to pause and suggest that they can turn the season around relatively quickly with a few wins. At the same time, a few more losses would send them to around .500 at 8-8, at which point you can kiss top 4 hopes goodbye, and thus any chance of a flag goodbye.

The Board is only going to get rid of Ken once they are at the point of no return. It will be the moment they are ruled out of the finals that the Club can confidently act, knowing that they've given the coach every possible opportunity to turn things around - just like you see soccer coaches sacked once their team has been eliminated from the European league qualification standings in their domestic league table.

It means that the next month or so has the potential to get incredibly ugly. I can't actually recall a single day where the fans have been so in unison to get rid of Hinkley - not since the 0-5 start in 2022, when he (unfortunately) had enough time to weasel his way out of a precarious situation, and even then he survived a 4 game losing streak at the end of the year when the Club was in finals contention.

As unfortunate as it sounds, if we want change, we have to want the Club to continue to lose. We need the Club to become such a rabble on-field that the only recourse is for the Board to act and for Ken to be moved on.

It's amusing to me because Ken has told people at high levels within the Club within the last 12 months that if things go south, he would be happy to step aside for a new coach to come in. I believe that is nothing more than a dog whistle, but now that things are indeed going south, maybe Ken it is time for you to revisit those comments. Maybe your next point of call should be to have your manager Peter Blucher contact Chris Davies to discuss your severance package.

You Ken, have told people within the Club that you want to remain in Adelaide and remain part of the Port Adelaide community for the long term. If you care so much about our Club like you have proclaimed - do the right thing and arrange a payout over multiple years to 1) secure your financial future heading into retirement and 2) ensures the Club doesn't blow their soft cap next year which will allow a new coach to have a fully funded footy department on hand.
Part of the PA community long term. I'm dying. He's like a cancer that won't go away.

Can you see david Koch actually admitting he was wrong to extend Hinkleys contract last year.

He and so many others at the club and the media loved being able to stick a finger in the eyes of the supporters last year when they won 13 games ( including tredders).

Do you really think he and others can put aside their egoes and do what’s best for PAFC?

No chance.
Hinkley ain’t going no where.

I do believe that Ken will be gone at the end of this year, and I don't just say that lightly. I'm not saying it as if it is a pure guess, but rather an educated guess based on my knowledge of the landscape of the Club at both the Board and Footy Committee levels, combined with the relationships I have with particular people in those roles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back