Opinion Sack Hinkley 11 - Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Remove this Banner Ad

Morgan Freeman Quote GIF

Is anyone else feeling defeated/given up?

After the debacle against Brisbane, it seemed like there was finally some momentum. There was noise in the media, the crowd literally booed him at the game. It looked like surely, finally, something had to give. There was hope. It looked like this interminable nightmare was finally coming to an end.

And then.. a couple of wins against some also rans and two weeks of the fan base being assaulted in the media and by the club itself. It looks like it's back to square one. The club will be happy to tick off on "making finals" as an acceptable outcome for the year, which we'll probably do as there are so many ordinary teams. They'll sweep it all under the rug and roll over again to next year. We get in the top 4 at any stage and there will be a push to lock in king Kenny.

I just don't care as much anymore. The club no longer resembles anything I remember from the 90s and 2000s. There's nothing to support. We have some good young players, sure. But the club doesn't care about supporters. There's not even a token effort. They don't want anyone who holds them to account. Personalities like Koch, Richardson, and Davies are extremely abrasive. Why should I support these muppets?

Wasting a few hours of a weekend watching us go nowhere has lost its appeal. There's no reason to watch the rest of the season and zero reason to get invested in the next with donuts and co in charge.

Why couldn’t Sydney trip over their own dicks in that game we narrowly lost up there in 2014, like they did in the Untenable Bowl last year?

Why did we blow the Western Bulldogs off the park on Saturday, in what was a 50/50 game at best, but let them blow us off the park in a Prelim when they’d just flown in under armed guard via Christmas Island?

And we’re universally derided as ungrateful pieces of sh¡ts for wanting this emotionally-unstable potato gone? Good lord.

Morgan Freeman Quote GIF

After the debacle against Brisbane, it seemed like there was finally some momentum. There was noise in the media, the crowd literally booed him at the game. It looked like surely, finally, something had to give. There was hope. It looked like this interminable nightmare was finally coming to an end.

And then.. a couple of wins against some also rans and two weeks of the fan base being assaulted in the media and by the club itself. It looks like it's back to square one. The club will be happy to tick off on "making finals" as an acceptable outcome for the year, which we'll probably do as there are so many ordinary teams. They'll sweep it all under the rug and roll over again to next year. We get in the top 4 at any stage and there will be a push to lock in king Kenny.

I just don't care as much anymore. The club no longer resembles anything I remember from the 90s and 2000s. There's nothing to support. We have some good young players, sure. But the club doesn't care about supporters. There's not even a token effort. They don't want anyone who holds them to account. Personalities like Koch, Richardson, and Davies are extremely abrasive. Why should I support these muppets?

Wasting a few hours of a weekend watching us go nowhere has lost its appeal. There's no reason to watch the rest of the season and zero reason to get invested in the next with donuts and co in charge.

Welcome to my 2021. You’ll find it liberating.

Remember in 2014 when we ran that decibel meter on the crowd because we were undoubtedly the loudest, most raucous crowd in the league?

If you did that now we'd probably come 3rd last, only ahead of the expansion sides. The crowds are just insanely flat. It takes either umpiring or a particularly special moment in a big game for us to raise above a golf clap. There are barely any chants. The celebration is always muted. Koch did this to us.
100%. We're absolutely as silent as the old Crows crowds we used to shit can.

AFL media sharpening the axe and holding Simpson's head on the block for the crimes of winning one flag in 10 years and having one of the worst lists in years at 16th.

Who else are they going to get?

Morgan Freeman Quote GIF

Honestly Im just waiting on AFLW to start. Completely out of ****s to give on the mens side.

Barely watched any football in ages. Got a brief bit of excitement at the Brisbane game, but as usual we have reverted back to accepting mediocrity as soon as we could.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Hinkley has outlasted Simpson, who has a premiership and two GF appearances

To add insult to injury, Jarrod Schofield could soon be West Coast’s caretaker, yet another 2004 Premiership player who could’ve replaced Hinkley by now
And Simpson wasn't even coaching when Kenny began coaching.

Seriously good teams don't have a 127 point differential (79 point loss v 48 point win) within 2 weeks of each other. Our best is good, but our worst is beyond bad - nobody can take us seriously until the gap closes considerably.
I understand that our gap between our best and worst is terrible at the moment, but thats just begging for a check.

What about within 1 week?
Sunday, 11 April (12:40 pm)
Port Adelaide 26.15 (171)​
def.Hawthorn 13.12 (90)AAMI Stadium (crowd: 27,421)
81 points win.
Saturday, 17 April (2:10 pm)
Melbourne 18.16 (124)​
def.Port Adelaide 10.11 (71)MCG (crowd: 20,093)
53 point loss.
Sunday, 25 April (2:45 pm)
Port Adelaide 17.17 (119)​
def.Western Bulldogs 7.22 (64)AAMI Stadium (crowd: 26,839)
61 points win.

Also
Sunday, 16 May (2:10 pm)
Kangaroos 21.14 (140)​
def.Port Adelaide 7.6 (48)Telstra Dome (crowd: 16,910)
followed immediately by
Saturday, 22 May (7:10 pm)
Port Adelaide 19.14 (128)​
def.Richmond 7.8 (50)AAMI Stadium (crowd: 25,761)

and
Saturday, 5 June (7:10 pm)
Brisbane Lions 18.15 (123)​
def.Port Adelaide 12.14 (86)The Gabba (crowd: 34,241)
40 points loss followed by a 60 point win.
Sunday, 13 June (12:40 pm)
Port Adelaide 20.12 (132)​
def.Sydney 8.12 (60)AAMI Stadium (crowd: 28,032)

I mean, this is all in a single year. And I think we were a seriously good team that year.

And this is without considering that pesky 200 point turn around over 1 week when we were a Grand Finalist...

We might be thinking about this the wrong way. "Who you gonna get?" Well, there's a coach with two GF's and one premiership under his belt available, who up until a few years ago had a better winning record at Adelaide Oval than anyone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back