Opinion Sack Hinkley 11 - Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting listening to Hinkley again at the press conference. He's talked up the Suns again. There's a couple of legitimate reasons you'd do this. One is to set realistic (perhaps) media and public expectations. Two is to guard against complacency from your players. I think Hinkley does this for both of those reasons, and from time to time I feel like it's a completely justifiable thing to do. But.... if you do this almost every week, you should ask yourself as a coach and club, why? Why do we need feel the need to set expectations before the game? Do we lack confidence in our ability to win? Also, why do we need to consistently guard against complacency? Do we have a history of being complacent? If we do, why? These things are bandaid measures that do nothing to address the root cause and only result in you having to do this week in week out. They also do nothing to improve things, in fact, they detract. As has been said here many times, what effect does that have on the playing group? Just wanted to give a reasonable take on this.

It's interesting listening to Hinkley again at the press conference. He's talked up the Suns again. There's a couple of legitimate reasons you'd do this. One is to set realistic (perhaps) media and public expectations. Two is to guard against complacency from your players. I think Hinkley does this for both of those reasons, and from time to time I feel like it's a completely justifiable thing to do. But.... if you do this almost every week, you should ask yourself as a coach and club, why? Why do we need feel the need to set expectations before the game? Do we lack confidence in our ability to win? Also, why do we need to consistently guard against complacency? Do we have a history of being complacent? If we do, why? These things are bandaid measures that do nothing to address the root cause and only result in you having to do this week in week out. They also do nothing to improve things, in fact, they detract. As has been said here many times, what effect does that have on the playing group? Just wanted to give a reasonable take on this.
Its just to lower expectations and give an out when they lose.

"We weren't expecting to win that game"

"Unfortunately fans aren't realistic, Gold Coast are a great side"

A good balanced post but.......

Imagine being Ollie Wines, you hear the same message day in day out for 10 years, I think that would go straight over his head.
Each year is a similar failed result, he's won a Brownlow, will he ever taste a Premiership? If he can't manage to motivate himself by now Port have a culture issue.
A new coach with a new voice and ideas would refresh things no end.

In the end anyone that has been employed at the place doing the same things under the same managers for a decade knows, complacency and familiarity becomes your enemy.

Sack Ken now before we end up being the next North or West Coast for the next decade.
I don't think there's a but here... I agree.

I guess, where I was coming from is I'd love to know exactly why. It's easy to assume it's self preservation or whatever, but we don't KNOW. At the end of the day, Ken is responsible for setting the behaviors, the expectations and correcting these underlying root cause issues. So I'm not saying he shouldn't be held responsible, I'd just like to know as a supporter, exactly why, for sure. It's an unanswerable question. Nobody is going to fess up.

His criticism of Southgate is the height of hypocrisy.

Taking over during a contentious time and staying for too long, Southgate is the Hinkley of England management ... except with a much better record.

Southgate has a 60% record in knockout finals.

Hinkley has a 33% record.

Southgate is also the first England manager to reach the final of a European Championship and to reach any major tournament final since 1966.

And Southgate doesn't cry for himself or expects anyone else to pity him, either.

This was him in 1996, when the entirety of England was calling for his head.

View attachment 2037015
He also supports his players when they faced with adversity and refuses to throw them under the bus.

What a tool Rucci is.
LOL.

Remember when the Rouch called Southgate an "acquired taste"?

Oh, and Southgate's knockout finals record is higher now.

We probably have one if not the worst cultures down at the club at the moment in world sport.

It is literally the narcissistic save your own job, get another contract by any means necessary, put in some effort when some outside pressure come up, slag off anyone who demands standards.

We are worse than the Crows.

I got some pushback from it before but we are a fascist regime.
Yeah but man, they're incredibly "connected".

I'm not even sure Ken has the belief he can lead a team to win a flag at this point

I'm not even sure Ken has the belief he can lead a team to win a flag at this point
Ken is about "we hope we win" that's why he has to talk up the opposition, setting expectations and undermining the players confidence.

It's always, "if we have the pressure, work hard, blah blah blah, then we should win against most teams, and sometimes, if we are lucky we might against the good ones" - that's Kenninkly Football

Koch, Richardson, Davies have either bought into, or propogated this philosophy, which is Looserism Personified. I wonder if it's something stinkers learned from DK or CD or whether it's in his DNA as the 13/14 attitude was very much "opposition watch out" and the change seemed to come after the end of 14 season, maybe the loss of his friend, then Walsh halfway through 15

Tredrea comes from the old Port Adelaide, with the "expect to win" mentality, best expressed by Ginniver when he recalls the self-belief that Cahill instilled, which probably goes back to the Fos era, even further optically

Regardless, this unholy foursome (Koch, Hinkley, Davies, Richardson) are cancers in this club and must be removed before vital organs are permanently damaged. Instead, they'll move on players and assistants who don't toe the line and keep the sycophants

The Advertiser said:
Hinkley was hopeful the Power’s midfield coach would get the top job at Alberton but would back the West Australian if he chose to go through a process with the Eagles.

“I’ve been really clear in my mind that Josh will be an outstanding coach by himself in his own right,” Hinkley said.

“I would love that to be at Port Adelaide but I don’t control Josh’s decision-making.

“If Josh has something that he wants to pursue, I would be very supportive of Josh.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Hinkley's intransigence and complete lack of self-awareness caused us to lose Carr then I think that would be the end for me :(.
I hope Carr does get the West Coast gig. I'd love to see their stupid plans blow up in their dumb faces. It would also force us to find the best available coach.

Ken is about "we hope we win" that's why he has to talk up the opposition, setting expectations and undermining the players confidence.

It's always, "if we have the pressure, work hard, blah blah blah, then we should win against most teams, and sometimes, if we are lucky we might against the good ones" - that's Kenninkly Football

Koch, Richardson, Davies have either bought into, or propogated this philosophy, which is Looserism Personified. I wonder if it's something stinkers learned from DK or CD or whether it's in his DNA as the 13/14 attitude was very much "opposition watch out" and the change seemed to come after the end of 14 season, maybe the loss of his friend, then Walsh halfway through 15

Tredrea comes from the old Port Adelaide, with the "expect to win" mentality, best expressed by Ginniver when he recalls the self-belief that Cahill instilled, which probably goes back to the Fos era, even further optically

Regardless, this unholy foursome (Koch, Hinkley, Davies, Richardson) are cancers in this club and must be removed before vital organs are permanently damaged. Instead, they'll move on players and assistants who don't toe the line and keep the sycophants
..bUT iT's NoT the SnaFL anYMorE. yUo cAnT eXcPekt to wUn tHem allz...

I hope Carr does get the West Coast gig. I'd love to see their stupid plans blow up in their dumb faces. It would also force us to find the best available coach.
If only the lest line were true.

That's not how we do things at the current Port Adelaide.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

If there are benefactors still involved and/or interested, as Chewy intimated earlier in this thread, Carr should force Koch's hand and demand the main gig now.

Time to turn the screws.

'What makes GC so good at home'

Look at how he answers, he literally has no idea. He can't even talk about their attributes, just deflects his answer and smirks. 12 years! what a gig.

Look at how he answers, he literally has no idea. He can't even talk about their attributes, just deflects his answer and smirks. 12 years! what a gig.

"I don't know their players that well"

-Ken Hinkley, 2024

"We get evidence straight away that Gold Coast is a very good team at home"

WTF does that even mean?

"It would be a massive win for us."

Supposed premiership contender beating 12th placed SUNS. This loser always lowers expectation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back