Opinion Sack Hinkley 11 - Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Remove this Banner Ad

Carr is going to have a very difficult time of it when he does take the reigns. Not only has Hinkley handicapped him by trading all of our draft picks for years, his media mates will no doubt be hell bent on getting their revenge by questioning the Hinkley sacking any time we lose a game. Hinkley himself will likely be white anting Carr behind the scenes, that's just the sort of bitter and twisted individual he is.

So Carr is going to have to get things right very early in the piece. Make it a priority to hit the draft hard and surround yourself with good people and people who know what Port Adelaide is about. First two phone calls should be to Jarrad Schofield and Mark Williams. Build a strong team right from the start.

Yeah, the “who’d wanna be a coach / who’d wanna coach there?!” handwringing is out of this world.

Ken Hinkley has literally been given more rope and loot than any other coach with his desolate record of achievements in the entire history of the game.

His sob story consists of:

• “they started booing me when we were en route to a 100pt home smashing to the 13th-placed team at home”,

• “they put up a sticker and some cardboard signs on Port Road”,

• “their living GOAT suggested my position was untenable after back-to-back smashings in my 11th season, which was also a contract year”.

The horror of it!

It’s about time we heard some journalism to compensate for what is Helen Lovejoy levels of pearlclutching, particularly from a cohort which has been happy to call for Clarko, Bevo, Goodwin and Simpson’s head in the past — the latter they just gleefully tapdanced on his grave.
The media genuinely believe that Hinkley deserves to be cut an infinite amount of slack for sticking it out in a hardship post for over a decade.

The fact that Koch, Richardson, and Davies see the external support for his tenure as some sort of validation of their exemplary governance and stable administration speaks volumes about their complete lack of self-awareness.

Last edited:
Carr is going to have a very difficult time of it when he does take the reigns. Not only has Hinkley handicapped him by trading all of our draft picks for years, his media mates will no doubt be hell bent on getting their revenge by questioning the Hinkley sacking any time we lose a game. Hinkley himself will likely be white anting Carr behind the scenes, that's just the sort of bitter and twisted individual he is.

So Carr is going to have to get things right very early in the piece. Make it a priority to hit the draft hard and surround yourself with good people and people who know what Port Adelaide is about. First two phone calls should be to Jarrad Schofield and Mark Williams. Build a strong team right from the start.
Agree, needs a supportive leadership team around to help him through this. Board better wipe their chins from the hinkley era.

At least Tredders is back in around the club, that’s at least one person that will have his back.

Carr is ****ed... Then I expect the happy clappers to come out with see Hinkley was a good coach or some shit like that.

Lol we'd be appealing af to coach. Absolute gun young midfield. Some talent to work with at both ends. Depth not great but overall pretty young. A fanbase absolute desperate for change, of any kind, wanting to be engaged.
Players' response - public v private:

Public: We all love Ken - I can't imagine being coached by anyone else.

Private: I'm sick of this s**t.

But what observers will also notice will be the increase in crowd numbers, and the noise levels at our games. What could be the cause of that, I wonder???

I still cop, “who are we gonna get to replace him then, hmmm?”, from that cohort of fans as if the club is based in downtown Kyiv and a condition of employment is a one-way trip to the front.
Those numbnuts fans who only know if we win because of the clubs Facebook posts.
Blight, Malthouse and Matthews are old and there will never be anyone else capable of being an AFL coach because they've never bothered to think about who might be available

I'd even be happy to see Chad around the place if Hinkley was gone and Carr, Schofield and the Chocolate were back here.
Nope the sooner Chadbro is kicked out of this club the better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm the other way.

I think we have a good, young list that has been poorly developed and any new coach worth their weight will be able to do a lot of manoeuvring in many ways and find real improvement in many areas of our game.

I mean basically not Hinkley is a massive start for any coach coming in.

I think we'll suddenly become far more consistent, we won't be guessing whether we're gonna show up from week to week. The likes of Caro and Kornes will have forgotten Hinkley exists when he's not granting them full access to an AFL club.

I'd ideally prefer to not have a Cornes at the club but I think in a positive environment the problems are mitigated.

I've heard that Koch is actually quite self aware around his lack of football knowledge/experience and leans heavily on others when it comes to football matters. He's far from the biggest problem at the club.

He’s good for everything that isn’t football related really.

Re how the club is viewed by the supporters of other clubs and in particular the Vic media, I can recall that when we joined the AFL there was an admiration (albeit possibly given grudgingly) that the PAFC was something a bit special.

Unfortunately the 2007 gf debacle, the lack of moves by the coach to at least attempt to keep the margin below 100 points, and then the later off field (non) handling of that 119 point smashing (which will unfortunately remain in the record books for ever) was the first nail in the coffin in destroying much of the club's reputation that had been built up by many backs to the wall successes over the previous 130 plus years, to where we are now seen as just another make up the numbers club, ala St Kilda.

In the seasons following 2007 members and supporters got sick and tired of losing, and the numerous `C' grade players ( some of whom were either on their last legs, or had already been delisted by their previous clubs) adding virtually nothing to the team, resulting in ever diminishing crowds, and then tarps covering large areas of seating either side of the goals at both ends of the ground.

Enter our saviour, Mr Vanilla of house wive's tv `fame' who possible financial expertise aside has turned the club into an ineffectual mirror image of himself, and his country bumpkin choice as coach, two blokes (amongst a number of others) who probably wouldn't have got the gig at Alberton in the first place, and even if they did would have been unlikely to survive in those roles for very long at all when we were the `real' Port Adelaide!

Opinion Sack Hinkley 11 - Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Remove this Banner Ad

Back