Opinion Sack Hinkley 11 - Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When it comes down to it, if it happens and Port are premiers this year, the one man least deserving to be on the dais is Hinkley, despite the majority of the media's narrative

I will celebrate the win, but will not back down on the fact that he should have been sacked 5 to 7 years ago and this is an underperformance as a coach and a very ordinary coaching career

When it comes down to it, if it happens and Port are premiers this year, the one man least deserving to be on the dais is Hinkley, despite the majority of the media's narrative

I will celebrate the win, but will not back down on the fact that he should have been sacked 5 to 7 years ago and this is an underperformance as a coach and a very ordinary coaching career
This would all remain true no matter the outcome this season. Correct.

It was April 22nd, 2019, when I wrote this:

“… However, I suspect that, if we win the Grand Final, I would be watching it happily in disbelief. I won't know it even when I see it...

That was more than five years ago.

They won’t be vindicated. Why should I suddenly deem acceptable someone telling me in Fall 2019 “Mate, all we need is waiting more SIX YEARS and, boom!, flag is certain”?

I would still have taken my chances to try winning it sooner.
To be honest, I'd call that moving the goalposts.

Hinkley’s received uncritical ballwashing from the media, and that cohort of our fanbase for over a decade.

In that respect, breaking free from type and winning a premiership would mean he’d never have to shower again — not much different to now.

The realpolitik revisionism would annoy me and many here, but seeing the club finally take a step forward to cashing in on one of the vast number of opportunities it has earned over the past quarter-century would be a relief, more than anything.

Hinkley performs better under pressure.
Needs to be clear to him that it's a flag or gone

After surviving the chop last year with the streak and getting his latest contract extension, he was way too comfortable going into September.

From the baffling ‘finals are scary’ soundbyte to smirking and joking throughout both losing press conferences.

I don’t know how he remains relatable to anyone who considers themselves a Port person.

The irony is, many people thought Tredrea coming on board would see the sudden end of Ken.

My take is that Tredrea is always about Port being the best it can be, and he has overseen changes to the football department and on-field thinking that has seen this turnaround in form and on-field presence.

Accountability has returned and some people aren't getting away with snowing the less football aware people.

I've said a few times that the brand of football Port has played since the Brisbane game for the most part is as close as I've ever seen in this era to ye olde Port Adelaide football.

The pressure has been insane at times, and when it has been applied to us, instead of folding, we turned our heat up and melted teams.

There are characters in our team who thrive on this and they are becoming dominant influences, but the game plan looks different too.

If we fall at these final hurdles again, then we know it will be the end for some.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pure speculation and putting 2 and 2 together but there must be a reason why Eagles seem to be very quiet on their Head Coach hunt front. They must have had positive discussions or at least indications around a senior coach from a top 8 club to go to them next year
Why would they only keep things confidential if the leading candidate is an under contract head coach currently involved in finals?

Unless they are a tin pot organisation any recruitment process should respect the confidentiality of the applicants.

The irony is, many people thought Tredrea coming on board would see the sudden end of Ken.

My take is that Tredrea is always about Port being the best it can be, and he has overseen changes to the football department and on-field thinking that has seen this turnaround in form and on-field presence.

Accountability has returned and some people aren't getting away with snowing the less football aware people.

I've said a few times that the brand of football Port has played since the Brisbane game for the most part is as close as I've ever seen in this era to ye olde Port Adelaide football.

The pressure has been insane at times, and when it has been applied to us, instead of folding, we turned our heat up and melted teams.

There are characters in our team who thrive on this and they are becoming dominant influences, but the game plan looks different too.

If we fall at these final hurdles again, then we know it will be the end for some.

YES.

As I noted around the time of the election, Port was the only club in the league to not have a single former AFL player either on its board, or in its executive.

Whatever people ultimately wanted or believed would spring from his election when casting their vote, there was never going to be any doubt that having such a decorated ‘been there/done that’ club legend involved at such a high level — and the football committee — would be nothing but positive for team/player/coach accountability.

YES.

As I noted around the time of the election, Port was the only club in the league to not have a single former AFL player either on its board, or in its executive.

Whatever people ultimately wanted or believed would spring from his election when casting their vote, there was never going to be any doubt that having such a decorated ‘been there/done that’ club legend involved at such a high level — and the football committee — would be nothing but positive for team/player/coach accountability.
Just listen to the Melbourne president today to see why this is important.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

YES.

And a guy who has always put Port Adelaide first. I still remember his interviews on AA as the Port player representative and if any of the clowns tried their anti-Port agenda, he pulled them up short real quickly. No ho-ho-ho-ing along for the yucks.

Tredders is Port Adelaide and he understands ruthless.

The best option is to put the logical part of your brain on hold for a few weeks as much as you possibly can. You dont want to look back at life and think you didnt enjoy the moment if we do get there.

I mean, how is it logical anyway? The whole criticism is that Hinkley isn't able to win a premiership. If he proves that wrong then we're all wrong and he and the club are right. It's not logic to say otherwise, it's ego.

I mean, how is it logical anyway? The whole criticism is that Hinkley isn't able to win a premiership. If he proves that wrong then we're all wrong and he and the club are right. It's not logic to say otherwise, it's ego.
Logical would be to go in to each game thinking that we're going to fail because we've always failed at these hurdles before, especially the prelim. Im saying suspend disbelief and enjoy it.

I mean, yeah, in the purest sense, sure.

Given how far outside the normal parameters of coach responsibility we are these days (unprecedented length of tenure, sitting on the bench dancing and drinking soda rather than being the core component of the matchday nerve centre), I’m more inclined to believe he’s along for the ride than chief architect at this point.

It of course remains to be seen if his negative cultural aspects are still reaping dividends (‘bah it’s just a game’, ‘we need luck’, ‘finals are scary’, etc).

If his close-talking, cuddling and behind the scenes patter is contributing umpteen percent towards the cup being lifted, cool.

I feel like I posted exactly this scenario 9 months ago about the impact Waz would have on the club. Cant find the post :(

And a guy who has always put Port Adelaide first. I still remember his interviews on AA as the Port player representative and if any of the clowns tried their anti-Port agenda, he pulled them up short real quickly. No ho-ho-ho-ing along for the yucks.

Tredders is Port Adelaide and he understands ruthless.
This is what is so disappointing with Ginever, it's fine to be down at the club telling the players we exist to win Premierships, then turns into a mouse on Crow-AA.

YES.

Get hyped for Cassisi soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back