Opinion Sack Hinkley 11 - Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate, u want me to have a word? Still see Hicksy round the traps. He's a bit media shy these days, but...

View attachment 2096473
P.S. Have a guess which little turd is moi, lol

He walked past me at the 2011 game against Melbourne at the pre-redevelopment Oval. A real “was that? that was!” moment for the ages.

That was basically what I said.

What surprised me most was the majority of these people are older (like myself).
They would have been around when Ebert got the sack as coach for not making a GF.
They know what Port stood for and how winning was everything.
Maybe they’ve gone soft in the head with old age?
It totally bamboozles me.

I always say, those long term supporters who were around in the 70s or earlier seem to go 2 ways. They're either the club can do no wrong Hinkley lovers, or they are the most vicious, militant anti-Hinkley people imaginable and make me look moderate in comparison.

I'm sorry to burst the bubble here.

Caro didn't say that really, Rowe stated that saying he's heard that Choco is coming to assist Carr and that Hinkley is heading up to Brisbane because Fagan is done regardless of their results this year.
Probably going to risk making myself hugely unpopular here, but having read through pages of posts in this thread I'm not at all sure why there is so much malice towards Hinkley being a failure when Mark Williams was a monumental failure before him? Seriously if this rumour proves to have any basis, and Williams does come back in any capacity, Hinkley will look like a master coach.

You might think I am biased towards Hinkley because of his Geelong connections but I think all in all he has done a pretty fair job rebuilding a list that was completely wrecked by Williams' gold pass biases, one paced game plan that was so easily picked apart especially in finals, his peculiar attempts at trying to turn tall marking forwards into half back flankers, back pocket plodders or wingers, complete reluctance to develop younger players ( except Thurstans, who languished on the list for 6 years before getting a crack ) in favour of duds like Daniels, Steinberner, etc and his poor imitation of Pagan's Paddock that left you guys horribly exposed when the one key forward was shut down.

You guys had a phenomenal list in the years 2001-2004 and a decent coach would have pegged three of those flags, yet you are left with one by agency of the physical belting Geelong gave Brisbane in the 2004 prelim that knocked the stuffing out of them. Not saying you guys didn't earn it, but Brisbane were definitely sore and off the pace in the big dance.

Hinkley has won a premiership at Bell Park in one of our AFL Barwon comps, with a very average list and against much more vaunted opposition. IMHO I think he has done a phenomenal job getting the best out of what you have on your list and trading out disruptive elements like Wingard.

It's not dissimilar to Geelong in the early 1980s when Bill Goggin coached us to 2 preliminary finals with an ordinary list of plodders that had been around for years, then Tom Hafey came in and was an abject failure with the likes of Greg Williams, Gary Ablett Snr, Paul Couch and so on to work with.

I would agree though with the sentiment that suggests this is his best shot at winning it. Two home finals and only two other sides I see as a legitimate threat in GWS and Footscray - if they get their game going early.

By the way, looking forward to a cracking final next week. I'm sure you guys will have us in the midfield, just a matter of how your backs go and how you structure up front. I don't think we have the weapons to stop Rioli and Georgiades.

Choco underachieved, sure.

But nowhere near as much as Hinkley. It's not even close, night and day. It's been posted here before many times, but Hinkley could win the flag this year and he's still in the middle of the clearcut worst 250+ game coaching stint in the history of the league.

I'm sorry but his Bell Park premiership won more than 20 years ago is worthless in this discussion. It's completely irrelevant and it's also pretty telling that whenever someone tries to make a case for Hinkley they bring up Bell Park. You've got so little to work with that you're putting forward amateur flags won in an era where teams were still naming a Ruck Rover.

You're right. It is going to be severely unpopular.

Is this the long troll?
Not a troll at all. A genuine opinion of where I see things.
In view of the clubs' history and tradition I understand there is some discontent with Hinkley's length of tenure vs lack of silverware, but I don't see any real difference to the Williams era. More than happy to be corrected.

Not a troll at all. A genuine opinion of where I see things.
In view of the clubs' history and tradition I understand there is some discontent with Hinkley's length of tenure vs lack of silverware, but I don't see any real difference to the Williams era. More than happy to be corrected.

Williams won a flag and made another Grand Final. Note that he did this at AFL level, not in meaningless park football.

I always say, those long term supporters who were around in the 70s or earlier seem to go 2 ways. They're either the club can do no wrong Hinkley lovers, or they are the most vicious, militant anti-Hinkley people imaginable and make me look moderate in comparison.
Militant I'll accept.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Choco underachieved, sure.

But nowhere near as much as Hinkley. It's not even close, night and day. It's been posted here before many times, but Hinkley could win the flag this year and he's still in the middle of the clearcut worst 250+ game coaching stint in the history of the league.
Point taken re: Bell Park, merely making the point that there are far bigger, cashed up clubs in that comp - St Joeys, St Marys, Leopold, etc who attract the big name players / coaches that Bell Park can't, then or now.

Regarding Williams vs Hinkley, I actually disagree. When I was living in Melbourne I was an ' honorary ' member of the supporters group that watched matches at Bells Hotel and saw many games in the Williams era that were downright embarrassing. Those QF losses against Collingwood and the Toilet Ducks were prime examples. The continual failure against North who were far weaker on paper is another. And that diabolical season in 2000 was worse than anything Hinkley has overseen, surely? As I stated Williams had a far better list to work with in his first 5 or 6 years than Hinkley has had at any point, so I would rate him as a far bigger failure.
From where I sit, there's one common failure with both of them. Port seems to consistently lack a strong forward line and scoring power. Under Williams it was too one paced and reliant on Tredrea, under Hinkley it's lack of consistent and durable players who go missing for long periods in games. Again, happy to entertain alternative opinions.

Probably going to risk making myself hugely unpopular here, but having read through pages of posts in this thread I'm not at all sure why there is so much malice towards Hinkley being a failure when Mark Williams was a monumental failure before him?
1724996699869.png

1724996710707.png

Hinkley has won a premiership at Bell Park in one of our AFL Barwon comps, with a very average list and against much more vaunted opposition. IMHO I think he has done a phenomenal job getting the best out of what you have on your list and trading out disruptive elements like Wingard.
I'm shocked to hear that Bell Park had an average list. I thought a team of that magnitude would be starting Wayne Carey on the bench.

I'm not mentioning THAT other grand Final.
IMHO though with the squad you had in the early 2000s, one flag is a poor return.

Happy to mention the GF, Choco took a mixture of aging stars and young players and took them to the GF, beating all the other top sides along the way. Getting steamrolled in one game is unfortunate but nobody was able to compete with a Geelong side who was bigger, stronger, faster and had more endurance than anyone else for some reason.

What's a worse return than 1 flag is 0 flags.

Bell Park might be impressive but one time my primary school beat another primary school in a game after they didn't have enough players and we had to give them our 3 best players. Now that's what you call a real challenge. Our coach, Tommy's step-mom, is surely at least at the level of Ken Hinkley with this achievement. Not to mention she did it while also bringing oranges to the game!

Why do you keep saying 'you', when a port adelaide person would say 'we' or 'us'?

It's as if you're not actually a port supporter at all...
Not sure what's going on with the site. I've mentioned it in an earlier post, the site has me down as aligned to Port for some reason, when I am actually a Geelong supporter. Not being very tech savvy, I don't know how that works or how it can be amended. Maybe the mods might know?
I do have a lot of connections to Port though via friends and also by knowing the Boak family for many years.

Last edited:
Happy to mention the GF, Choco took a mixture of aging stars and young players and took them to the GF, beating all the other top sides along the way. Getting steamrolled in one game is unfortunate but nobody was able to compete with a Geelong side who was bigger, stronger, faster and had more endurance than anyone else for some reason.

What's a worse return than 1 flag is 0 flags.
On pure numbers that is an undeniable fact. But can you honestly say that Hinkley has had the same talent at his disposal in his tenure as Williams did in his first few years? That for me is the key yardstick.
You guys were robbed of a GF in 2014 by a disgraceful umpiring decision in the last minute by Stevic. I reckon you'd have walloped the Toilet Ducks if you had got there. That wasn't Hinkley's fault.
So, hypothetically, if you win this year's flag, do you then rate Hinkley as equal to Williams? I rate Port more than Geelong this year as a chance. If your midfield clicks in the QF, quite frankly, we're screwed.

As far as 07 goes, I think it was more a combination of 44 years pent up frustration, annoyance at having lost a couple of weeks before at Kardinia Park, and a feeling of confidence that your game plan wouldn't stand up in the big one. A lot of the Geelong boys had points to prove. Not wishing to dwell on that though. I'd rather it have been the Clowns to be honest.

On pure numbers that is an undeniable fact. But can you honestly say that Hinkley has had the same talent at his disposal in his tenure as Williams did in his first few years? That for me is the key yardstick.
You guys were robbed of a GF in 2014 by a disgraceful umpiring decision in the last minute by Stevic. I reckon you'd have walloped the Toilet Ducks if you had got there. That wasn't Hinkley's fault.
So, hypothetically, if you win this year's flag, do you then rate Hinkley as equal to Williams? I rate Port more than Geelong this year as a chance. If your midfield clicks in the QF, quite frankly, we're screwed.

As far as 07 goes, I think it was more a combination of 44 years pent up frustration, annoyance at having lost a couple of weeks before at Kardinia Park, and a feeling of confidence that your game plan wouldn't stand up in the big one. A lot of the Geelong boys had points to prove. Not wishing to dwell on that though. I'd rather it have been the Clowns to be honest.
No chance. Even on raw numbers, 1 GF and 1 flag < 2 GF and 1 flag

But also, Choco never disrespected Port's traditions in the way the Ken era has (and I know this isn't all on Ken but it isn't all not on him either). We had one captain the whole time Choco was coaching. We used the real club motto "We exist to win premierships". We didn't constantly spin and actually accepted wins as wins and losses as losses.

Ken would need to go back to back to go past Choco.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back