Opinion Sack Hinkley 11 - Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Remove this Banner Ad

Have been thinking about how many of the last 12 seasons would be rated as acceptable to us, and how many would be considered acceptable to the 'wider football community'. I have 3.
  • 2013 - Pass. From a basket case to winning a final.
  • 2014 - Pass. Prelim Final, a good base to build to further success. (Despite dropping from 10-1 to 5th at the end of the home and away)
  • 2015 - Fail. Started the year as premiership favourites. Beat Hawthorn twice, lost to Carlton (18th) and Brisbane (17th). Finish 9th.
  • 2016 - Fail. Widely tipped to bounce back after an off year. The debut of The (Way Too) High Press(TM). Finish 10th.
  • 2017 - Fail. Largest ever showdown loss. Finished H&A 5th, lost to WCE (8th) in the elimination final, in humiliating fashion. The beginning of late stage Hinkley: Smash Bottom 10, wilt under any sort of expectation.
  • 2018 - Fail. Recruit for the now. Co-Captains. "You all thought he was a hero at 11-4." Finish 10th.
  • 2019 - Fail. Add the big three in the draft, start with "The Best Win Ever(TM)". Balk at the favourites tag against a Martinless, Cotchinless, Riewoldtless, Ranceless Richmond. Lose. Finish 10th.
  • 2020 - Pass. From nowhere we run the board, finishing top of the table. Lose a tight prelim by a kick. A missed opportunity, but maybe Hinkley has finally figured it out?
  • 2021 - Fail. Struggle with injury, battle hard, win ugly, scrap to 2nd. Hit the prelim with a full list to choose from, every possible advantage. Capitulate to the tune of who gives a ****, it was over before I finished my bowl of pasta.
  • 2022 - Fail. Continue with the train crash momentum of the 2021 prelim with an 0-5 start. Never recover.
  • 2023 - Fail. A third top 4 finish in 4 years. Win 13 in a row, earn Kenny a new contract, cook our fragile KPP talent in the process, and crash out of finals in straight sets.
  • 2024 - TBA. Shaping up like one of Kenny's 2015-2019 'fallow years' specials: "8-4 is a good position to attack the second half of the year from..."
I reckon it's us considering 2021 & 2023 as failures (what? top 4 is a failure?) where the disconnect between Port Fans and the 'wider AFL community' springs up. Take that Saints fan the other day: I'd kill for results like yours.

Yeah mate, that's why you celebrated 10 in a row and lost the flag. You don't aim high enough.
I've posted about it. The board sees it under entirely different lenses.

48c434e8-8895-4576-9fd9-0b6c9fdcd94b-jpeg.1777880

I was not even considering context. So, 2021 would be a "pass".

For the board, there's only failure if we go below 13th (or, apparently, if we miss finals three seasons straight).

--

08/18/2023:

For the board, there's only failure if we go below 13th (or, apparently, if we miss finals three seasons straight).

--

08/18/2023:
No, not quite. It’s not about where we finish. It’s how we play, how they speak and represent the supporters and how we conduct ourselves… get these little things right and the rest takes care of itself.

Ken plays the game and makes finals in his last year of the contract.

Had his 2013-16 extended to 2018 in March 2015 after 2 years in finals. Go early with extension.

After September 2017 EF loss, almost walks out on the club and Koch, KT and CD, cave in and sign him to 2020 with requirement he has to make the finals once and automatically gets an extra year extension ie 2021. They say he can rebuild via the draft. Go early with extension

January 2021 we resign him for 2022-23. Go early with extension

2022 we miss finals, 2023 1-2 two shocking losses untenable call, Koch re assess in August, makes finals so re-sign him for 2 more years. Went 1 month too early with the extension.

There wont be any going early this time. At 8 and 7 with our percentage we will be outside the 8, if we lose to the Bulldogs, and if its by 10 goals, they will sack him.

If we win, we have to wait until we play the top 4 and top 8 sides in that tough last 5 games of the season stretch before we axe him.

Hopefully, the KPIs have changed. If they do, mark it to be because of Tredrea's election.

No, not quite. It’s not about where we finish. It’s how we play, how they speak and represent the supporters and how we conduct ourselves… get these little things right and the rest takes care of itself.

That's why I've said "ignoring context". We can be patient with people that are giving their all. We tend to be even. Contrary to the opinion of some people, the majority of our supporters are fair most of the time. When there is error of judgement, it's more common to be for holding on for too long.

However, those things also have their limits. At some point, results begin to outweight them. Then, the way to go is "thank you for your work, dedication, and time; but we need to improve from here." That's why I focused on results in the exercise above.

Rucci has issues - the man was taking so many "free" cokes from Adelaide Oval on gameday that the SMA imposed a limit on how many drinks each member of the media could have per game.

I bet he cycles between his Red Sox hat and Barcelona blazer in an attempt to confuse the SMA staff in charge of the count.

Why is the only bloke in the media who truly cares about Port Adelaide copping all the stick? It's insane.
There's a lot of 'stuff' that has happened around & within PA that wouldn't happen to any other club. It's been an infuriating ride & insane is an excellent description. Those people have absolutely no desire for PA to win another premiership. Their arrogance is thru the charts & they need to be put back in their place by the PA membership as does the CON ARTIST. SACK HINKLEY.

I’ve been reflecting a lot about my relationship with the PAFC the last few weeks. For so long I have ridden every high and low this club has been through. I’ve barely missed watching games. The fortunes of the club have meant a lot to me. I was blessed that my dad introduced me to PAFC in the early 80s. It was a wonderful way to spend my weekends going to games with him. I loved what our club stood for.

In recent years and especially this year, I’ve realised that the club is now in the hands of people who will never love it or hurt about it as much as I do. If they are happy to accept mediocrity and go with the flow and roll over so easily then I’m not going to waste energy worrying about the PAFC anymore. Rucci, Kornes and their friends in the club can bask in apathetic mediocrity.

I’ve got other things to do.
Welcome to me 18 months ago. We are of similar age, background and passion.
I just don't care anymore. I'm not sure I'll get it back. Sitting here on the balcony in Delphi with a Mythos after a hot sweating day of sightseeing and hiking looking out at this magnificent view and you just listen to these idiots from Adelaide/Malbun who live in this ridiculous little footy bubble for this ridiculous little obscure sport and think really? It's just not important. The game and club which I once loved is close to over now. It no longer matters.

100%.

The vast majority of dissenters sat through:

• ‘The Dream Final’,
• The 2007 GF,
• Choco’s deathstreak,
• 138/165,
• Every Showdown entered as overwhelming favourites only to lose in humiliating fashion,
• The 2017 Elim,
• The 2021 Prelim,
• 2023 straight sets,

By and large it’s been 20 years of fermented garbage, inclusive of Hinkley’s dozen years of futile misery.

What do they expect from Port fans, honestly?

It’s a trash product served up by trash people.
Beautiful

Footyology Podcast: The hounds are after Hinkley | Footyology

I rolled my eyes at some of the defences of Hinkley in this pod.

"He doesn't have the list!!!!"

Is his list better than Adelaide's? Because he has a negative record against their cross-town rivals.

It's not a list problem. It's a psychological problem.

And what list problems? They have had All Australians, a Brownlow Medalist, excellent draft picks (2018) and a No. 1.

In 2020, they had 5 players in the All Australian Squad and finished No. 1 on the ladder. In 2016, the Bulldogs had 3 players and won the premiership.

But, sure, it's the list that's the problem - not the boring, predictable contested play that leaves it defenders in the lurch, its footballers scrambling to find space and its midfielders exhausted from having to immediately go from offence to defence.

Yep, it's the list.

"Kenny doesn't have the full support of the club!!!!"

Tredrea was elected only last year.

In the prior 11 seasons, the fanbase has been called "white noise" and "two cents" by the club.

How many years (and how many times does the club need to trash the supporter base) before Kenny feels secure?

"The supporters are unreasonable for expecting success!!!"

In the time Kenny has been coach, 66% of the competition has made a Grand Final. 38% has won a premiership.

Is it that unreasonable to expect the club to be in the Top 66% of the competition?
I'm confused at who is replying to these statements in bold.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's funny, I went to the game and at half-time they had Kane Cornes on the big screen doing an interview for AFL Nation, and he said "Port Adelaide are dominating time inside 50s but just can't seem to capitalise". I let out a laugh, Kane describing the exact thing we've seen for 10 years (while beating bad sides and losing to good ones) without a skerrick of self awareness given he goes out and defends the gameplan on TV, radio and to anyone who'll listen. Kane takes us all for fools.
He actually contradicts himself all the time but is too dumb to realise it. Absolutely zero self awareness.

Last edited:
Welcome to me 18 months ago. We are of similar age, background and passion.
I just don't care anymore. I'm not sure I'll get it back. Sitting here on the balcony in Delphi with a Mythos after a hot sweating day of sightseeing and hiking looking out at this magnificent view and you just listen to these idiots from Adelaide/Malbun who live in this ridiculous little footy bubble for this ridiculous little obscure sport and think really? It's just not important. The game and club which I once loved is close to over now. It no longer matters.

Ultimately nothing is important unless you place some value on it. Your holiday experiences for example have no intrinsic importance but if you value things like your heritage, nature, history, family time, exercise then it becomes important to you and it feels worthwhile.

People at the club clearly do not understand this. They have been explicitly telling supporters for years now that they’re not important or valuable beyond whatever money they can shake out of them. They have totally f@&ked this dynamic in the relationship, so it’s no surprise that more and more people are now turning away because they no longer value the club in return.

This is the biggest mistake they’ve made in all of this and it will bite them hard.

Ultimately nothing is important unless you place some value on it. Your holiday experiences for example have no intrinsic importance but if you value things like your heritage, nature, history, family time, exercise then it becomes important to you and it feels worthwhile.

People at the club clearly do not understand this. They have been explicitly telling supporters for years now that they’re not important or valuable beyond whatever money they can shake out of them. They have totally f@&ked this dynamic in the relationship, so it’s no surprise that more and more people are now turning away because they no longer value the club in return.

This is the biggest mistake they’ve made in all of this and it will bite them hard.

While I wholeheartedly support both yours and Papa G views I'm not sure the Club really care that much.
Membership "numbers" are up and they are obviously more interested in revenue numbers than old style members.
Social media is squarely aimed
at happy clappers and kids.
Everything is about being competitive without striving for excellence after all "it's an even competition, somebody has to lose and finals are scary"
All in all they believe members like us are dinosaurs.....
I used to plan my weekends in Dubai so I could see every game
live online.
This season I have watched if I'm home, quite a few games I've missed and never even looked at the replays.
I'm back in Adelaide for a couple of weeks in August/September, in the past I would schedule my trip and get to a game, this time unless we have some changes i won't bother.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

While I wholeheartedly support both yours and Papa G views I'm not sure the Club really care that much.
Membership "numbers" are up and they are obviously more interested in revenue numbers than old style members.
Social media is squarely aimed
at happy clappers and kids.
Everything is about being competitive without striving for excellence after all "it's an even competition, somebody has to lose and finals are scary"
All in all they believe members like us are dinosaurs.....
I used to plan my weekends in Dubai so I could see every game
live online.
This season I have watched if I'm home, quite a few games I've missed and never even looked at the replays.
I'm back in Adelaide for a couple of weeks in August/September, in the past I would schedule my trip and get to a game, this time unless we have some changes i won't bother.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That’s their big mistake. The Johnny-come-latelys and a generation of kids with 10 second attention spans will not hang around when the inevitable slide comes. Banking on them is stupid and short sighted and it will bite them on the arse.

They are burning their core supporter base, for being right mind you, and they don’t care. Yet.

Hinkley's protection racket get away with attacking supporters because we are outspoken, they turn it into an attack on the coach. Port fans haven't voted with their feet. If the attendances and memberships dropped off considerably they can't lay blame at us, they will blame our performances. They just think we want to attack the Victorian blow in because he's liked in Victoria, strange no Vic club wants him though.

Hinkley's protection racket get away with attacking supporters because we are outspoken, they turn it into an attack on the coach. Port fans haven't voted with their feet. If the attendances and memberships dropped off considerably they can't lay blame at us, they will blame our performances. They just think we want to attack the Victorian blow in because he's liked in Victoria, strange no Vic club wants him though.
I'm not sure I agree. I think the argument would be that the people at the games are "true supporters" and that the rest are bandwagoners (despite the situation being the opposite). It would be easier to brush off the ones not there as not being important. There would be plenty of "Hey get the tarps" in the media but the AFL bigwigs / our board would get scared that another big crowd drop is coming and use that to justify the "stability" of retaining Ken to stay at an almost-but-never-there level.

I think a bit of a drop off - which we will get this Saturday for a number of factors - combined with the supporters there booing would draw the most attention.

--

08/18/2023:
Na it's mainly about expectation vs performance.

The other factor when it comes to Hinkley is that it's about building towards a flag, when you understand their is a limitation from ever getting there, you change something to improve the results.

IMO:
2013: A
2014: A
2015: F
2016: F
2017: C
2018: F
2019: F
2020: A
2021: B
2022: F
2023: C
2024: D

I'm not sure I agree. I think the argument would be that the people at the games are "true supporters" and that the rest are bandwagoners (despite the situation being the opposite). It would be easier to brush off the ones not there as not being important. There would be plenty of "Hey get the tarps" in the media but the AFL bigwigs / our board would get scared that another big crowd drop is coming and use that to justify the "stability" of retaining Ken to stay at an almost-but-never-there level.

I think a bit of a drop off - which we will get this Saturday for a number of factors - combined with the supporters there booing would draw the most attention.
As a business which we are, a downward trend in the product and income always brings some sort of action, in our case hopefully change.
Our membership and attendanceces are good that's all they see, we are $$$ to them that's all, this latest attack on supporters is proof, the club don't value us as people or defend us as supporters.

These guys are in a bubble. “Give us an idea what Kenny’s been through this past week Rooch?”
How about giving us an idea what life long Port supporters who shell out year after year have been through?
What should Port supporters expect from their club?
How long is a reasonable amount of time for a coach to achieve at least a grand final appearance?
How about a farken question on behalf of the fans?
One more question here - why or how is Donuts the victim: he's the bloody perpetrator in all of this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back