Opinion Sack Hinkley 11 - Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Remove this Banner Ad

This looks familiar, in the three year leading up to 2004, when we were branded the chokers, lots of talk was about not winning a flag under Mark Williams.

Brace Yourself Here We Go GIF by MOODMAN

This looks familiar, in the three year leading up to 2004, when we were branded the chokers, lots of talk was about not winning a flag under Mark Williams.
Yep a lot of people have short memories. I remember when we went out in straight sets in 2002 and 2003.

If you were going to arbitrarily compare one block of time with another, why is it Port 2001-2004 vs Port 2020-2023? Why not the Western Bulldogs 2008-2011?

Or if you like larger sample sizes, why not compare Hinkley’s 12 years of performance against any other coaches who have served that time. Did anyone hold on that long and fall over the line to win a flag?

It aligns well enough if this were Hinkley's 5th season in charge. We're in the 12th though

And with a loss this week they could be out of the 8 at the conclusion of this round.

I have no faith in this team to roll their sleeves up when the going gets tough, simply because they have not proven they can do it over a large sample size.

Agree generally, we fall over in big games and we've got a few of those coming up.

Apart from when the coach's contract is on the line. Then they seem to win those games. Or just enough of them to give him slightly more time.

The going was tough in 2022 and 2023 and we strung some wins together to get the heat off of him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ian it's been 12 years. Choco would have been rightly sacked if he didn't salute in his 6th year.

You can't compare this to any other coaching situation in the history of the league. We're a couple of seasons into unprecedented.

First post in nearly 6 months

I suggest you read the previous 300 or so pages of the Sack Hinkley threads for a bit of perspective before posting again

FWIW an informant of mine who is generally pretty accurate with his mail reckons Kenny might be gone by the end of today - don’t at me - jus passing on what I was told
Gone down to the TAB maybe

The only difference between 2024 and previous similar seasons like 2018, 2019 and 2022 (where he had a year on his contract but obviously needed to be sacked), is Warren Tredrea's position on the board.

This is a well established board with 5 members who have been there for 8 years or longer, as well as Chris Davies in the footy ops role who is tied to Hinkley. We've got Matthew Richardson who is the mailroom apologist who is just happy to be there and isn't going to drive a sacking.

(I'm almost trying to manifest his sacking by speaking negatively about the chances here), but there is absolutely every chance that we fall into the 8, with zero expectation, we jag a final against one of the other shit sides who have fallen in this season, and then he gets 2025. And then who knows? He's just a string of games away from a contract for 2026 and 2027.

I know it seems ridiculous but it seems ridiculous every time. We've all been certain he was going 3 times now.

Funny, he agitates me with the way he talks (writes) through his arguments.

His writing style is one of the most frustrating I've ever read. Just when he starts to make a point, he jumps to some ill-thought out, tangential storyline that ends up going nowhere.

Amazing what a good editor can do.

Rooch has written some good stuff for InDaily. But they're seasoned journos over there. They cut his fat.

Seriously doubt anyone at the club has the balls to red ink his copy. They just let him waffle on. Bit of shape and structure wouldn't hurt, but.

Believe it or not, Rooch is feared by sections of SA footy community. Could never get a straight answer why. I'm guessing he knows where a lot of bodies are buried, lol...

FWIW an informant of mine who is generally pretty accurate with his mail reckons Kenny might be gone by the end of today - don’t at me - jus passing on what I was told
The con man coming off a master stroke win against the struggling dogs, I don't think so.

Love it to be true though.

Opinion Sack Hinkley 11 - Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Remove this Banner Ad

Back