Opinion Sack Hinkley 11 - Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The AFL should have taken that opportunity to switch to 15 minute quarters going forward, in my opinion. The length of games becomes mind numbingly boring as it stands. 1 hour of actual play is plenty. And stop the clock after scores and out of bounds only. Basically, each time the ball goes outside the field of play. Keep the clock running for ball ups. Spending 3 and a half hours watching a game of football is ludicrous.
For a game with barely any rules it is by far the most over officiated game on earth. As an exercise, close your eyes during the TV coverage of any game and have a listen to how often the whistle is blown. It's pretty funny listening.
I would not be adverse to this. The games are really long. It is off putting for families going to watch games live. I also find it really noticeable when watching non Port games on TV. I also agree the game would benefit from less officiating and certainly from removing any rules which require judging intent - which is basically putting an impossible requirement on an umpire.

He doesn't bottom out because he has had close to the best list in the AFL at his disposal.

The only reason Port are not bottom 4 at present is JHF returned home.

West Coast Eagles have a shocking list and and need probably every year between now and Tasmania coming in loading up with high end draft picks. Ken I'm confident will deliver them the opportunity to land high end draft picks.

The list has fluctuated over the last 12 years and it hasn't really affected overall performance. It's why all the so called missing pieces never actually end up being so, because Ken will get the same results and the game will look the same irrespective of the personnel out there.

We finished 2nd the year after with arbitrary quarter length increased back to 20. We just had a better team then. Our team now is far inferior.

I agree those teams were better, but on paper I don't think the gap is that significant. There's no coherency with this current team though. Everything feels disjointed when they're on the field.

There are a number of positives to Ken moving to West Coast, many already mentioned.

What hasn't been cited is that it totally trashes the "Ken is so loyal" narrative once and for all.

And, if he tries to pull the mental health grift, you can point out the ludicrousness of moving from a two-team state to another.
Is there really a narrative around that?

There's a lot of irrational hate spewed around, and often irrelevant support as well.

Ken is like all of us, he's a human that wants to get paid, earn money, set up generational wealth for his family, etc. No one can blame him for that.

He's also living out his AFL coaching dream. Man I'd give anything to be an AFL coach. And in reality he's done a good job in most aspects, not great, but good.

When you combine the 2, you get a guy that doesn't want to be sacked because he wants his money, and you get a guy that doesn't want to be sacked because he wants to achieve premiership success, and he still believes he can.

I don't think loyalty plays a part at all in any decision he makes. If West Coast come to him with double the salary and a 5 year deal, I'm 100% certain he would walk immediately.

You can't knock a guy for any of those things.

What we can however say, is that he is never going to achieve that premiership success he thinks he could here, and as such the decision on his future with us, like every other coaches fate in the history of the game, needs to be taken away from him, so that our club can move on. West Coast shouldn't even be a factor.

It's also why Kane's line of "He'll step aside when the time is right" rhetoric, is absolute garbage.

The list has fluctuated over the last 12 years and it hasn't really affected overall performance. It's why all the so called missing pieces never actually end up being so, because Ken will get the same results and the game will look the same irrespective of the personnel out there.

I agree those teams were better, but on paper I don't think the gap is that significant. There's no coherency with this current team though. Everything feels disjointed when they're on the field.
The current side lack the senior heads and experience that the 20/21 side had.

He doesn't bottom out because he has had close to the best list in the AFL at his disposal.

The only reason Port are not bottom 4 at present is JHF returned home.

West Coast Eagles have a shocking list and and need probably every year between now and Tasmania coming in loading up with high end draft picks. Ken I'm confident will deliver them the opportunity to land high end draft picks.
Non-Victorian sides are less likely to finish right at the top or bottom of the ladder unless they are really good or really bad. A poor Victorian side losing 80% of their games against sides from Victoria and winning 50% of their games against non-Victorian sides at home and all away is still finishing near the bottom of the ladder. A non-Victorian side winning 50% of their home games against visiting sides, but losing 80% away is still a good chance to avoid bottom 4 (and conversely a good side winning 80% against other Vic sides and dropping 50% of their games outside Victoria can still finish top 2/4).

Our list has never been really bad under Ken. Even in injury affected years it's been average at worst, with most years above average. Even with our lack of home town umpiring, every other non-Victorian side gets, we've always had enough poor travelling sides to ensure we've never been down the bottom under him.

I mean 2011/2012 to finish bottom 4, we had to have our coaching department gutted, our fitness department non-existent, play at another sides home ground (effectively) and be actively undermined at every opportunity by our then 'owners' the SANFL. You could have left our coaching box completely empty every year under Ken's reign and I still would have put money on us to not finish bottom 4 any year 2014 onwards (2013 only as we didn't know have much of an effect Burgess and co. would have on our fitness yet).

tl;dr - Non-Vic sides won't go bottom unless their list is totally shit (WC now, Adelaide recently), no matter the coach.

We finished 2nd the year after with arbitrary quarter length increased back to 20. We just had a better team then. Our team now is far inferior.

It was a very good team that shorter quarters made better. The style fits better in shorter quarters.

Shorter quarters and less games would raise the standard of football. Less is more. But will never happen.

I like them longer both game and season really

The current side lack the senior heads and experience that the 20/21 side had.

The senior players out are Ebert, Hartlett, Rockliff, Jonas, Gray, Motlop, Lycett and McKenzie.

Essentially replaced by Georgiades, Farrell, Drew, BZT, JHF, Mead, Sweet/Soldo and Ratugolea.

In saying that, they've added an extra 60-70 games into both Butters and Rozee which completely has revamped the midfield look.

I don't think this team is as far away as some of the people on here are making it out to be.

They didn't just win 13 in a row last year because emotion overcame all talent. But there's no doubt there's a mental aspect to their performance which the new coach is going to need to grapple with and address head on.

Yep. We didn't know what we had with the key defensive setup of Jonas, Clurey and McKenzie. They were rock solid and did a great job for us and we didn't appreciate them because they were undersized.

And then went out and added Aliir Aliir, who was named All-Australian CHB and won a Showdown Medal.

“Poor poor Kenny. No cattle”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol, do we really believe Ken has the confidence to walk into West Coast and lead without someone like CD, KT, or Richo holding his hand?

Even bigger problem: will Sarah Jones relocate to WA because Ken’s going to need a shoulder to cry on, especially when the losses start to add up after the consistent drive-by's from Woodcock and The West Australian.

Because his entire coaching repertoire is about minimising opponents strengths rather than maximising ours.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I like them longer both game and season really
The biggest gripe I have is that there are too many teams now, instead of creating more new teams they should relocate Victorian teams, then maybe we can get a true national competition. I always felt that 16 teams was enough and maybe we could play each team twice, one at home one away.

The more teams there are the lower the standard of football will become.

The senior players out are Ebert, Hartlett, Rockliff, Jonas, Gray, Motlop, Lycett and McKenzie.

Essentially replaced by Georgiades, Farrell, Drew, BZT, JHF, Mead, Sweet/Soldo and Ratugolea.

That's not taking into account the significant decline in output from Boak and Dixon (both All Australians in 2020). Those names are there on paper but they're nowhere close to what they were back then.

Port Adelaide laugh off claims Ken Hinkley is a ‘leading contender’ to take over West Coast job​

Former West Coast goalkicker Scott Cummings said Eagles fans wouldn’t be thrilled with the idea of Hinkley taking over.

“I don’t think that’s going to warm the hearts of many Eagles supporters, to be honest with you,” he said.

Scotty Cummings lol.

Last edited:
Played a few holes with Andy Porplysia today. Had to leave didn’t get to talk SANFL. For what it’s worth, he is a Hinkley fan, thinks he’s doing a good job, touch competition and helped raise us from our death bed.

Refused to believe me we have only won 2 finals in 10 years 😂 reminded me how we destroyed Richmond in that final, I said yeah that was amazing in 2014, he wouldn’t believe it was that long ago 😂

I decided to let it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back