Opinion Sack Hinkley 11 - Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm actually surprised about the amount of rancour that one comment has fomented.

Hinkley's hardly talked us down, just reminded the players that Melbourne aren't an easy opponent. They've beaten us two of the last three times and our one win was by 4 points at home.

Yes they've lost their last 3 games (one of those only by 2 points to GWS) but we've seen Port not turn up before in games against teams that should have been roadkill. We've come off against spectacular wins against the - at the time - top 2 teams and human nature being what it is, players' heads can get in the clouds.

Hinkley says a lot of stupid, annoying, aggravating things, but this one for me was not one of them. We should, we have to, win this and as long as behind the scenes they have focused on the best possible preparation and bringing our best game then that's all that matters.
Agree with your logic, just think he has said it way too many times

And no doubt Whateley and Kornes will laud his achievements this week, but that's the key point - WHAT ACHIEVEMENTS? We've won enough games to be in contention for finals, but it's nothing to get excited about yet. The next 7 weeks are what really counts, and if we fall short of another grand final, then it's simply been another wasted year.
For me this year starts at the Prelim final, anything less than that is a fail.

One thing that bamboozled me tonight with Caro's interview was that she said "maybe Port Adelaide can finally win a premiership for Ken Hinkley."

Umm, what?

A club winning a flag for a coach? Ridiculous.

As much as I want to see the Club win a flag this year under Hinkley, I worry about what precedent it sets going forward, where Clubs (including Port) will be urged to "stick it out" for a decade plus because they could one day do a Hinkley and get them to the promised land after an eon of time.

One thing that bamboozled me tonight with Caro's interview was that she said "maybe Port Adelaide can finally win a premiership for Ken Hinkley."

Umm, what?

As much as I want to see the Club win a flag this year under Hinkley, I worry about what precedent it sets going forward, where Clubs (including Port) will be urged to "stick it out" for a decade plus because they could one day do a Hinkley and get them to the promised land after an eon of time.
If we do win one this year, I think it will be more despite Hinkley than for him.

Umm, what?

Heard that as well and immediately thought the same. Hinkley deserves nothing. He's the reason why we haven't won one, not the other way round. He's not a premiership coach because he's not good enough.

Last edited:
The minute he walks out the door at Alberton, I doubt I’ll give him a second thought wherever he ends up.
Except if/when he returns to Adelaide Oval as the opposition coach - lock in plenty of boos whenever his face comes on the screen.

Umm, what?

Not clubs but club ... our club. I fear OUR club keeping on future failed coaches for multiple overhauls of list changes burning through talent and pompously building division between club and supporters.

I thought that witchy woman said "with Hinkley". Regardless, this mindset of the individual being most important than the glory of the club's name is what separated the rest from Port. Sadly our own board have the same mindset and the evidence of what happens when you do that is clear.

Umm, what?

If kerny stinkers wins a flag all of the players have to melt down their premiership medals so it can be reforged for kerny in the shape of a giant donut and a 1. That way he can dance little jigs around his house doing that weird 0 - 1 thing he did after finally winning a showdown.

Umm, what?

The narrative is very clear, all the vic media think Kenny is owed a flag - like the MCG is owed the GF, VIC coloured glasses….

Ken will leave without a premiership I’d say.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The narrative is very clear, all the vic media think Kenny is owed a flag - like the MCG is owed the GF, VIC coloured glasses….

Ken will leave without a premiership I’d say.

Ok, sure, give us some of that hometown Vic umpiring this finals series then..

Hey caro why don't you have him at Richmond you vicious old harpy?

Oh right, it's because you know he's actually a shit coach, but he's just fine being the AFLs special widdle boy at port powa and the powa fans are mean.

Liked mostly for the use of 'vicious old harpy' and 'you know he's actually a shit coach'

So appropriate

SACK HINKLEY

Unfortunately in order to do that you need to make a GF which would require him to eat a kryptonite donut.

The high water mark of his career will be a participation award.

Umm, what?

We literally pay HIM to give US a flag.

Like, actual literally, not the way the kids use it these days.

The attitude of a lot of clubs changed after Richmond won their 3 premierships. The narrative became "See! Richmond were just about to sack their coach and didn't and then they went and created a dynasty!". Unfortunately, I believe it created a sort of 'gamblers fallacy' scenario where clubs think it's just a matter of sticking it out and they'll return dividends. The problem with this is there's no way to prove conclusively that your big win isn't 'just around the corner' and it becomes easy to look at other clubs that have sacked their coaches and say "see it didn't work for them". Club presidents also love it because they can fall back on 'stability'. It's low risk.

The attitude of a lot of clubs changed after Richmond won their 3 premierships. The narrative became "See! Richmond were just about to sack their coach and didn't and then they went and created a dynasty!". Unfortunately, I believe it created a sort of 'gamblers fallacy' scenario where clubs think it's just a matter of sticking it out and they'll return dividends. The problem with this is there's no way to prove conclusively that your big win isn't 'just around the corner' and it becomes easy to look at other clubs that have sacked their coaches and say "see it didn't work for them". Club presidents also love it because they can fall back on 'stability'. It's low risk.
Just wait til Fagan wins it this year - a 63 year old in his 8th year at the helm

Kenny Rogers - The Gambler

Kenny Hinkley - The Gambler's Fallacy

We literally pay HIM to give US a flag.

Like, actual literally, not the way the kids use it these days.

Nonsense, special Kenny's like the little old bootstudder who has been volunteering at the club for 40 years and is a bit senile but he's our special little guy. Just ignore the 7 or 8 million bucks he's been paid.

Agree with your logic, just think he has said it way too many times
Agreed when used occasionally there may be some merit to his comments, but continually pumping up the oppo's tyres has been kern's standard get out clause for a potentially forthcoming lack lustre performance for way too long now.

For me this year starts at the Prelim final, anything less than that is a fail.
Yep - if 2 other teams are running around the MCG on grand final day, it's been another wasted year.

Looking like if we beat the customers we will finish 4th going by all the other games, 2 bad losses and we still are a possibility to miss the 8 bout not likely, everything would have to align for that to happen.

That prick will be here next year unless another job offer opens up.

He needs a lot more than a top 4 appearance to see 2025 as the Club's senior coach.

My money's on him being at West Coast next year.

If he's here in 2025 it means that the Club have had a brilliant finals series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back