Opinion Sack Hinkley 11 - Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
G'day. So, re the WCE coaching search -- nothing leaking out of the club whatsoever. In fact, as some journos have noted, it's conspicuously, deafeningly quiet. This is creating the feeling that something is pretty well lined up and being kept under wraps, which in turn would suggest a targeted head-hunt of someone experienced, since we'd be getting wind of fresh prospective candidates coming and giving presentations etc. And so, well you can see where I'm going.

You nuffies over here ain't got some resident insiders who've heard anything?

I could search back ITT for info, but you know. To be fair I come in peace etc.

G'day. So, re the WCE coaching search -- nothing leaking out of the club whatsoever. In fact, as some journos have noted, it's conspicuously, deafeningly quiet. This is creating the feeling that something is pretty well lined up and being kept under wraps, which in turn would suggest a targeted head-hunt of someone experienced, since we'd be getting wind of fresh prospective candidates coming and giving presentations etc. And so, well you can see where I'm going.

Take him. You can have him tomorrow if you like

I’m hearing from a reliable source that Jordan Hinkley is set to be president and coach of the West Coast Crows.

Playing players out of position or wrecking their careers by trying to completely change their natural game.
whereas m7 you'd prefer a coach gifting games to a rogue's gallery of tiny and/or spudish flankers that would have Commissioner Gordon on the Batphone post-haste in desperation

Chewy316 might know a few things.

But the suspicion has been there since Gossy opened his mouth a couple of months ago, but as far as we are concerned, we want WC or anyone to take him, but no refunds.

We've actually followed pretty much the same path with Chris Scott, although he has coached 2 premierships, but we have had our share of finals disappointments too - getting beaten at Kardinia Park by Fremantle in a final was pretty embarrassing and we have had a few early exits.
Believe me if Hinkley had coached two premierships so far every embarrassing finals series would be swept under the rug just the way the 2001-2003 period is. Winning solves everything.

But the suspicion has been there since Gossy opened his mouth a couple of months ago, but as far as we are concerned, we want WC or anyone to take him, but no refunds.

Might be Kenny. Might also funny enough be Carr.

Could also be Brett Montgomery.

All 3 In teams that are finals bound.

Heck, even Chris Scott.

Nobody knows but we will find out soon enough

He would be the perfect fit to shape a new culture and future at the eagles. Will be available within the next 5 weeks. Depends on whether port go out in straight sets or make the grand final.

Heck we will even chuck in Tom Clurey as a sweetener!

I'll just preface this by saying I have no direct connection to any people who work or are closely associated with West Coast.

However, I've spoken to a few people at Port about this very topic, and how it potentially relates to Hinkley.

The fact of the matter is that West Coast have not had a senior coach in place for well over a month. They also said at the time that removing Simpson so early in the season would give them ample time to get the best coach available.

As of about 1 week ago, reports were that West Coast were still trying to encourage more people to apply for the job. And as it stands right now, everything appears in a holding pattern.

Reading between the lines, I see the following:
  • if West Coast had found their ideal candidate by now, they would have hired them.
  • even if that ideal candidate was an assistant for a finals team, there would have been a report saying coach X and West Coast are expected to have a formal agreement in place once coach X's team has exited the finals series (and in some cases they would leave during the finals anyway)
  • Given that assistants can leave during the finals for a head coaching job elsewhere, I can only infer that there is a strong possibility that they're waiting for a current senior coach in the finals to potentially be available at the conclusion of their season.
  • Looking at the finals teams, Longmire, Scott, Kingsley, Mitchell, Bevo and Fagan are all on solid ground. That leaves Voss and Hinkley. I can't imagine West Coast would be waiting on Voss given his current contract doesn't expire until the end of 2026. Hence, I think they're waiting on Hinkley.
  • It is well known within Port that if Port fail during the finals, they will relieve Ken of his duties. A nice little PR situation could be had where Port and Ken have a mutual parting of ways, with West Coast getting Ken on a long term deal as their next head coach. In that situation, it will be the easiest for Port from a PR perspective, and Ken wouldn't have the humiliation of being sacked.

I must admit I'm reading between the lines but I'm also speaking to people at Port who are well enough connected to tell me that there is definite legs to the Hinkley to West Coast rumours and that it's definitely not just hot air.

Let's see how the next few weeks play out - because that will ultimately make the upcoming decisions a whole lot clearer.

Last edited:
I'll just preface this by saying I have know direct connection to any people who work or are closely associated with West Coast.

However, I've spoken to a few people at Port about this very topic, and how it potentially relates to Hinkley.

The fact of the matter is that West Coast have not had a senior coach in place for well over a month. They also said at the time that removing Simpson so early in the season would give them ample time to get the best coach available.

As of about 1 week ago, reports were that West Coast were still trying to encourage more people to apply for the job. And as it stands right now, everything appears in a holding pattern.

• if West Coast had found their ideal candidate by now, they would have hired them.
  • even if that ideal candidate was an assistant for a finals team, there would have been a report saying coach X and West Coast are expected to have a formal agreement in place once coach X's team has exited the finals series (and in some cases they would leave during the finals anyway)
  • Given that assistants can leave during the finals for a head coaching job elsewhere, I can only infer that there is a strong possibility that they're waiting for a current senior coach in the finals to potentially be available at the conclusion of their season.
  • Looking at the finals teams, Longmire, Scott, Kingsley, Mitchell, Bevo and Fagan are all on solid ground. That leaves Voss and Hinkley. I can't imagine West Coast would be waiting on Voss given his current contract doesn't expire until the end of 2026. Hence, I think they're waiting on Hinkley.
  • It is well known within Port that if Port fail during the finals, they will relieve Ken of his duties. A nice little PR situation could be had where Port and Ken have a mutual parting of ways, with West Coast getting Ken on a long term deal as their next head coach. In that situation, it will be the easiest for Port from a PR perspective, and Ken wouldn't have the humiliation of being sacked.

I must admit I'm reading between the lines but I'm also speaking to people at Port who are well enough connected to tell me that there is definite legs to the Hinkley to West Coast rumours and that it's definitely not just hot air.

Let's see how the next few weeks play out - because that will ultimately make the upcoming decisions a whole lot clearer.
Do you know what the target is Ken needs to reach to see out his contract, win a final or two, win a preliminary to make a GF, or win a Premiership?

I understand if you can't elaborate to protect your source.

Do you know what the target is Ken needs to reach to see out his contract, win a final or two, win a preliminary to make a GF, or win a Premiership?

I understand if you can't elaborate to protect your source.

I don't know what every "decision maker" at the Club is thinking with regards to the threshold to keep Hinkley. I know there are decision makers who want him gone in the event Port loses a prelim. I do not know whether they'd sack him if they made a Grand Final. I don't believe however that Port would give Ken an extension on the back of a grand final loss.

Probably going to risk making myself hugely unpopular here, but having read through pages of posts in this thread I'm not at all sure why there is so much malice towards Hinkley being a failure when Mark Williams was a monumental failure before him? Seriously if this rumour proves to have any basis, and Williams does come back in any capacity, Hinkley will look like a master coach.

You might think I am biased towards Hinkley because of his Geelong connections but I think all in all he has done a pretty fair job rebuilding a list that was completely wrecked by Williams' gold pass biases, one paced game plan that was so easily picked apart especially in finals, his peculiar attempts at trying to turn tall marking forwards into half back flankers, back pocket plodders or wingers, complete reluctance to develop younger players ( except Thurstans, who languished on the list for 6 years before getting a crack ) in favour of duds like Daniels, Steinberner, etc and his poor imitation of Pagan's Paddock that left you guys horribly exposed when the one key forward was shut down.

You guys had a phenomenal list in the years 2001-2004 and a decent coach would have pegged three of those flags, yet you are left with one by agency of the physical belting Geelong gave Brisbane in the 2004 prelim that knocked the stuffing out of them. Not saying you guys didn't earn it, but Brisbane were definitely sore and off the pace in the big dance.

Hinkley has won a premiership at Bell Park in one of our AFL Barwon comps, with a very average list and against much more vaunted opposition. IMHO I think he has done a phenomenal job getting the best out of what you have on your list and trading out disruptive elements like Wingard.

It's not dissimilar to Geelong in the early 1980s when Bill Goggin coached us to 2 preliminary finals with an ordinary list of plodders that had been around for years, then Tom Hafey came in and was an abject failure with the likes of Greg Williams, Gary Ablett Snr, Paul Couch and so on to work with.

I would agree though with the sentiment that suggests this is his best shot at winning it. Two home finals and only two other sides I see as a legitimate threat in GWS and Footscray - if they get their game going early.

By the way, looking forward to a cracking final next week. I'm sure you guys will have us in the midfield, just a matter of how your backs go and how you structure up front. I don't think we have the weapons to stop Rioli and Georgiades.
Did he used to say finals are scary, back in those Bell Park days? Surely even back then, he would have had the wisdom that footy is a tough game and someone has to lose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just assumed that it was the usual Hinkley nuffies talking up Hinkley to West Coast to try and get him another year here like they always do. Surely you will appoint Schofield or Graham. If you want Hinkley can we have Schoey?

I'll just preface this by saying I have no direct connection to any people who work or are closely associated with West Coast.

Harrison Ford Shrug GIF by Star Wars

Great stuff, Chewy.

Last edited:
We've actually followed pretty much the same path with Chris Scott, although he has coached 2 premierships, but we have had our share of finals disappointments too - getting beaten at Kardinia Park by Fremantle in a final was pretty embarrassing and we have had a few early exits.
Interesting. My sister and her family are Geelong supporters and they've had enough of Chris Scott even though he has 2 flags and a real gameplan! 12 years is a long, long time in football!

On SM-S711B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Probably going to risk making myself hugely unpopular here, but having read through pages of posts in this thread I'm not at all sure why there is so much malice towards Hinkley being a failure when Mark Williams was a monumental failure before him?

Read this then:

In the same thread, I've added:
I’ve said it wasn’t an easy decision, but it would have been the right one. I’m not saying this in hindsight either.

If we had won the flag in 2007, I would have told you Choco had gotten lucky being the coach. Despite the flag, we had to move on.

There will always be excuses: injuries, suspensions, fixture. It happens every year, but one can’t miss the forest for the trees.

What weighed against Choco in 2006 was all the chokes we’ve had. It all made 2004 look like a fluke. The flag was an isolated island surrounded by consecutive disappointing seasons.

Moreover, being fully honest, my soccer mind would want to send him packing after the 2005 SF, actually. One cannot lose the most valuable Showdown in history like that. Flag be damned. So, in 2006, Choco would have been on notice.

I am ONE person, but still...

Last edited:
Why on earth would West Coast want Hinkley. If it was as a Choco Melbourne role I'd understand it but seriously he will take that list nowhere. All he might do is add a couple more Pick 1 's and maybe a compo pick.

Here's a question half the coaches in the league have been there for about 10 years the other half are re-building. If you are an assistant coach if you are saying no to re-building teams you are kidding yourself. They are the only jobs that you can get. Carr is the lucky one but has had to wait...he must be mid 40's by now.

Why on earth would West Coast want Hinkley. If it was as a Choco Melbourne role I'd understand it but seriously he will take that list nowhere. All he might do is add a couple more Pick 1 's and maybe a compo pick.

Here's a question half the coaches in the league have been there for about 10 years the other half are re-building. If you are an assistant coach if you are saying no to re-building teams you are kidding yourself. They are the only jobs that you can get. Carr is the lucky one but has had to wait...he must be mid 40's by now.

If Ken can have good solid coaches around him as head coach for Eagles then I guarantee he'll bring them up. Regardless of how much hate some people have towards him or not so much hate, but frustration and understandably so, but he is a good coach either way and especially for younger players. He'll probably do wonders for Reid over there.

Adam Kingsley at the reunion tonight nearly tearing up describing how he couldn’t miss this reunion and how much Port means to him…

If Ken can have good solid coaches around him as head coach for Eagles then I guarantee he'll bring them up. Regardless of how much hate some people have towards him or not so much hate, but frustration and understandably so, but he is a good coach either way and especially for younger players. He'll probably do wonders for Reid over there.
Hinkley is not a good tactical coach and he gets by having a highly talented list. A coach is not a make or break for a team but it is when it comes to the last 5% and that is getting the premiership. Look at Grant Thomas, terrible coach looked fine until September, its the same with Hinkley.

So a great team with a great coach is multiple premiership.

A great team with a good coach can win a premiership

A great team with a bad coach will lose prelims and grand finals

But a shit team with a bad coach is multiple wooden spoons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back