Review Saints beat Brisbane by 58 points - Review thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We all go on about Acres however his disposal efficiency is still poor.
We all go on about Ross however he did a few soft efforts yesterday.

Shows players need to improve on our list, including Billings. So ease up on the Billings bashing.

Except it's not bashing. It's just an opinion on whether he will end up an AA type player or just a GOP. Why can't people handle this discussion? It's just a supporter chat about his ceiling as a footballer.

We all go on about Acres however his disposal efficiency is still poor.
We all go on about Ross however he did a few soft efforts yesterday.

Shows players need to improve on our list, including Billings. So ease up on the Billings bashing.
Billings bashing? Hope you aren't referring to me in your post, I've said we need him playing good footy for us to be a good side, he's one of my favorite players, I want him to do well...doesn't mean we can't be critical of him at times.

Acres does more and has more of an influence in the play. Takes the game on, breaks tackles, is a penetrating kick...look at the play yesterday through the middle where he shrugged off two in the middle of the ground and hit Riewoldt on the chest. Billings doesn't do that yet, I feel he needs to add some grunt to his game and play a bit more inside than out.

Shout out to Jack Lonie for hitting the scoreboard with 3 sausage rolls, all when the game was still alive from memory. Good way to end what would be a disappointing season for him. A key player for us going forward imo.

One of the funny things about the Lonie haters his they claim he can't tackle and lacks pressure. He is about the most tenacious kid in the team. He races head on at the defenders and caused masses of turn overs through his pressure. He a Wright and the stuff of a defenders night mare. Both run at them with pace and close down options. His ability to convert seems to be the issue this season and he turned that around on sunday. He's a little bee in a bottle type who just keeps a manic pace up. I really liked his game.

One of the funny things about the Lonie haters his they claim he can't tackle and lacks pressure. He is about the most tenacious kid in the team. He races head on at the defenders and caused masses of turn overs through his pressure. He a Wright and the stuff of a defenders night mare. Both run at them with pace and close down options. His ability to convert seems to be the issue this season and he turned that around on sunday. He's a little bee in a bottle type who just keeps a manic pace up. I really liked his game.

Definitely a pain in the rrrr`s to opposition, the sort of bloke that could get you 4 weeks holiday. :cool: Got to pick his times when to annoy the shmit out of the oppo though, doesnt want to do it directly after a free or mark is taken, as it could turn into a reversal.:( As a past defender, I`ll speak on behalf of our defenders, "thank goodness he`s on our team":D Little bloody pest.:p

Except it's not bashing. It's just an opinion on whether he will end up an AA type player or just a GOP. Why can't people handle this discussion? It's just a supporter chat about his ceiling as a footballer.

It is bashing when a kid's courage is questioned for no reason.

That happened last week.

While the superior types who love to pontificate & pass judgment on a young player's 'type' and their 'ceiling' are frustrating, they're also amusing.

They're the same supporters who passed judgment on BJ as too slow, Dal as too soft, Joey as too small & 12 months ago didn't see a future for Ross, Hickey or Membrey.

Let them have their 'IMHO' moments & bag kids who aren't the yet superstars that these supporters expertly opine should be.

When JB is winning finals for us with 4 goal final quarters, we'll dig up threads like these & see who pops their head up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is bashing when a kid's courage is questioned for no reason.

That happened last week.

While the superior types who love to pontificate & pass judgment on a young player's 'type' and their 'ceiling' are frustrating, they're also amusing.

They're the same supporters who passed judgment on BJ as too slow, Dal as too soft, Joey as too small & 12 months ago didn't see a future for Ross, Hickey or Membrey.

Let them have their 'IMHO' moments & bag kids who aren't the yet superstars that these supporters expertly opine should be.

When JB is winning finals for us with 4 goal final quarters, we'll dig up threads like these & see who pops their head up.

I'll bet everyone here is hoping you do dig up this thread when he's winning matches for us. Weird that anyone would take offence on behalf of a kid you don't even know who has been rightly criticised for treading softly at times. I hope he turns into a gun and you get to lord it up about it in a couple of years. You can even tell your mates how right you were. Good stuff.

Great win for you guys, Riewoldt surely has to be All Australian. Absolute gun.

I'm really glad you guys got the win for Pav. Another champion.
I was the only person in my comp to tip Freo! I'm either very optimistic or very stupid...can't decide which!

Not see too much bashing going on
Settle down
Peeps are just talking about how he is coming on, the injuries that made him miss for so long, the lack of pre seasons etc and how they thought he might be ahead of where he is at this moment

No one ss calling the guy a deadset lazy useless twit ffs

No one wants to see anyone fail and I seriously can't see anyone bagging the bloke personally

Lets see where he sits next year at this time

I'll bet everyone here is hoping you do dig up this thread when he's winning matches for us. Weird that anyone would take offence on behalf of a kid you don't even know who has been rightly criticised for treading softly at times. I hope he turns into a gun and you get to lord it up about it in a couple of years. You can even tell your mates how right you were. Good stuff.

I don't need to tell anyone anything... I've made some stinking calls over the years (McGough would win a B & F amongst them).

I just watched the replay (after having way too many froths at the footy yesterday & only remembering Rooey's feats; with all the anti Billings stuff I thought I should check out the 'soft steps' that have angered so many).

Surprising that I didn't notice that once. Not once. JB was quiet, didn't really stand out but did his job.

I haven't taken offence at all... I'm always amused by supporters who feel it necessary to write off young players before their careers have even really started to get going. Anyone who takes anything more than a cursory glance at footy knows what Billings is capable of...and his performances in a number of games in the first half of the season show clearly that this BS 'soft, cowardly' line that some supporters are running with is very misplaced.

A bloody fantastic point from gringo2011 too re: Stringer, Hogan and a few other high picks currently struggling. Imagine the meltdown on here if Stringer was one of ours!!!

Trade him, he's been dropped, selfish!

Not see too much bashing going on
Settle down
Peeps are just talking about how he is coming on, the injuries that made him miss for so long, the lack of pre seasons etc and how they thought he might be ahead of where he is at this moment

No one ss calling the guy a deadset lazy useless twit ffs

No one wants to see anyone fail and I seriously can't see anyone bagging the bloke personally

Lets see where he sits next year at this time

Go back a few pages.

Trade bait apparently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This place gives me serious deja vu. Looks like it's Billings' turn to be written off this year after Ross, Acres, Membrey, Hickey etc all had their turn the past couple of years. No doubt next year it will be Gresham's turn.

I've been banging on all year about Ross and Membrey so I won't do that again. They've both been the two highlights of the year for mine. Will be interesting to see how they back it up next year.

Thought McKenzie was extremely good particularly in the last quarter when he went on the ball and even in the centre square. Attacks the ball hard and with speed. While I'm sure he's going to be a good player I'm not going to get too excited about one good quarter in the midfield against a pretty pathetic team TBH.

Roberton immense. Just cut them up all game.

Solid debut from White. Loved his composure to slot the goal.

And??
That's not putting the guy down personally tho is it

I dont hink he is trade bait either, just like u dont
Hasn't been given a chance yet ffs
If peoples want to go early then it's not going to effect me, I'm pretty sure it doesn't effect you or other posters and I'd reckon jack billings couldn't give a shite what we think lol

But yes I do see where u are coming from
Dont take it so personally tho

We certainly can't or won't have a forum where we are praising every single player

Last I talk about him
Get him into a pre season with a defined workout, targets and what his role will be next year
We will know by this time next year won't we

For what its worth richo rates him mega
Richo also had faith and rated gears, gilbert, acres, Ross, Dmac and wrighty
Looks what happened there!!!

I can't wait for round one already ffs.
I should be buying finals tickets, planning road trips, booking hotels and drinking a few beers with melbs peeps

And??
That's not putting the guy down personally tho is it

I dont hink he is trade bait either, just like u dont
Hasn't been given a chance yet ffs
If peoples want to go early then it's not going to effect me, I'm pretty sure it doesn't effect you or other posters and I'd reckon jack billings couldn't give a shite what we think lol

But yes I do see where u are coming from
Dont take it so personally tho

We certainly can't or won't have a forum where we are praising every single player

Last I talk about him
Get him into a pre season with a defined workout, targets and what his role will be next year
We will know by this time next year won't we

For what its worth richo rates him mega
Richo also had faith and rated gears, gilbert, acres, Ross, Dmac and wrighty
Looks what happened there!!!

I can't wait for round one already ffs.
I should be buying finals tickets, planning road trips, booking hotels and drinking a few beers with melbs peeps

Cant see where Ive taken it personally PC. The rest of your points are spot on.

And yes, there was a personal attack last week on JB. Thats when I do get my back up & defend a kid from an attack by a weak keyboard warrior who probably drinks his milk from a saucer.

I don't need to tell anyone anything... I've made some stinking calls over the years (McGough would win a B & F amongst them).

I just watched the replay (after having way too many froths at the footy yesterday & only remembering Rooey's feats; with all the anti Billings stuff I thought I should check out the 'soft steps' that have angered so many).

Surprising that I didn't notice that once. Not once. JB was quiet, didn't really stand out but did his job.

I haven't taken offence at all... I'm always amused by supporters who feel it necessary to write off young players before their careers have even really started to get going. Anyone who takes anything more than a cursory glance at footy knows what Billings is capable of...and his performances in a number of games in the first half of the season show clearly that this BS 'soft, cowardly' line that some supporters are running with is very misplaced.

A bloody fantastic point from gringo2011 too re: Stringer, Hogan and a few other high picks currently struggling. Imagine the meltdown on here if Stringer was one of ours!!!

Trade him, he's been dropped, selfish!

I think you are getting far to emotive Trade bait. Well most players. Someone today suggested hickey. Some wants jokey to retire. As for billings yesterday well he may not have looked soft and I don't think he was or is. I don't any afl player is soft but some choose when to go. I had a perfect view of a couple yesterday when he went one handed and didn't put his body on the line. It was that obvious that about 5 people bagged the guy. I wasn't one because I don't say much at the footy apart from saying the obvious crap. I did laugh yesterday though with mavs kick ver funny and maybe was actually out of bounds but I think the boundary umpire was in shock.

Anyway in 2 years I hope you will bring up some of my threads on billings and say look how little he knew. Obviously those having a go at saints players are in a no one situation because only a complete fool would bring up an old post to prove they were right if the player did fail

I think you are getting far to emotive Trade bait. Well most players. Someone today suggested hickey. Some wants jokey to retire. As for billings yesterday well he may not have looked soft and I don't think he was or is. I don't any afl player is soft but some choose when to go. I had a perfect view of a couple yesterday when he went one handed and didn't put his body on the line. It was that obvious that about 5 people bagged the guy. I wasn't one because I don't say much at the footy apart from saying the obvious crap. I did laugh yesterday though with mavs kick ver funny and maybe was actually out of bounds but I think the boundary umpire was in shock.

Anyway in 2 years I hope you will bring up some of my threads on billings and say look how little he knew. Obviously those having a go at saints players are in a no one situation because only a complete fool would bring up an old post to prove they were right if the player did fail

Well I hope the 5 people "bagging him" for "not putting his body on the line," actually took note of him pulling in a great mark when running with the flight of a high ball and with eyes for nothing but the ball (a la Roo). Happened right in front of me and was one of the bravest things i've seen...and it's not the first time he's done it.

I have bad memories of Raph Clarke, confidence shot, being the whipping boy of his own fans and I would never like to see that again. It's an ugly look.

What a stupid argument that is, all we do on this site is talk about a group of guys that we don't know.

Just a bit more on what I said about Holmes ruckwork yesterday, I've now seen up to half time and the hitout he did to Jack Steven running past way on the outside (on the opposite side of Holmes) from the centre bounce with 2 mins to go before half time was one of the best hitouts you'd ever want to see, if it was planned (which I presume it was, otherwise why the hell would Jack be all the way out where he was, running forward all by himself?). If you weren't really paying attention you probably wouldn't even realise how it got out to him, but watching it carefully you realise Holmes hit it out there on purpose and it was masterful ruckwork if it was indeed planned, as I expect it was.

If we keep him on it might even be worth giving him a run in the midfield in the dev league at times next year just to get him to learn how to get his hands on the footy and improve his follow-up work in and around the stoppages. Another preseason could do wonders for him, too. How many has he done, just the two? If so, I wouldn't have thought that would be enough to build up the tank required to play at AFL level.

Well I hope the 5 people "bagging him" for "not putting his body on the line," actually took note of him pulling in a great mark when running with the flight of a high ball and with eyes for nothing but the ball (a la Roo). Happened right in front of me and was one of the bravest things i've seen...and it's not the first time he's done it.

I have bad memories of Raph Clarke, confidence shot, being the whipping boy of his own fans and I would never like to see that again. It's an ugly look.

They certainly did. We had a great view also and that what I'm saying. For some reason he is picking and choosing. I haven't really noticed that until the last few weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Saints beat Brisbane by 58 points - Review thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back