Review Saints v Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Well we finally put four quarters together! And with a bigger group contributing at the level required to take us from being competitive to being dominant. It was such a delight to watch.

After the game Alistair Clarkson said, and I quote "We were beaten by a hungrier and more polished side" suggesting that they were lucky they only lost by 75 points! He went on to say, and again I quote, "They just hunted. It looked like they had an extra, at different stages, 3 men on the field. Whether that was on the inside, and then you'd think to yourself well if they went on the inside then we must have our blokes on the outside. Then you'd look up and there'd be plus 2 St Kilda blokes on the outside." From memory the commentators made a similar observation. Our preparedness to run hard both ways is making us a really difficult team to beat, and teams that don't show up ready to run hard are getting exposed.

Koby Stevens was excellent and his contribution in the middle was so crucial to allowing other players to focus on the outside. 12 contested possessions out of his 28, and two goals, from 68% TOG in his first outing! I can't help thinking with that contribution we are probably just one bad prawn away from being 5 and 1!

Jack Sinclair looked like he belongs, and if he can play the same role consistently, we will be much sharper on the rebound transitition. I think he still needs to bring a little more physicality to the contest, if he's going to play in the middle. But otherwise, he has earned an extended run in the firsts IMO.

Montagna, Steven, Ross, Newnes, Steele, Stevens, and Billings are starting to look like a formidable core. And the cameos from Weller, Acres, Sinclair, Minchington and Gresham bring that much needed x-factor to the team.

The recent inclusions, Longer, Minchington, Stevens and Sinclair, have all come up and made solid contributions. I think if dropped players like Savage, Lonie, McCartin and Dunstan can go back and find form and self-belief at Sandringham, and when called to come back have a real impact in the seniors our depth will really assist us to rest players and stay competitive deeper into the season.

It's getting harder to think of where we can find improvement. I think whoever is in the ruck needs to do a lot more, with regard to contested marking, tackling and 1%ers. Not really fussed about how many kicks or goals they get, but against the better teams in the big games, where almost every kick is to a contest, rucks who can clunk are worth their weight in gold.

Last edited:
I have a new test for Dunstan to become a senior player again...

Consistently beat Stevens in one on ones on the training track

If you can't match or beat Stevens, stay in the VFL working on your contested game

Loved Stevens game

The more I watch that Acres gif, the more I realise how rare that skill is

Absolutely destroys the opponents structures

Can think of very few players who have that ability

If he gets dropped ever again, I'll pop a top

Still the player I'm most excited about on our list

It's why he's had such a strong following of supporters. We've seen the talent all along & could never understand how he wasn't getting regular games. The knock was his disposal. He's currently averaging a shade under 20 disposals per game at 83% efficiency. Clearly our most efficient midfielder, only Joey comes close at 81%.

Last edited:
The eel was greased yesterday boys, and I'm not talking about Blacres

acres1.gif

acres2.5.gif
The Acres love gets a little sickening on here at times ( :p ) but that said... The bursting through packs and fend off is a little bit Dusty Martin-like

He is slow like Bont is slow. Deceptive.

Not saying Acres is as good, just he is Bont like in size and his reading of the play. Looks slow but always seems to have that time.
I think he might be one part Pacific Islander the way he runs. He can change direction without really slowing down, just by leaning his hips out over his feet (like a superbike on the lean), and the laconic gait means many players underestimate his speed. Force is equal to mass times acceleration and he has the perfect blend of that to make him hard to stop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Acres love gets a little sickening on here at times ( :p ) but that said... The bursting through packs and fend off is a little bit Dusty Martin-like
Much prefer reading about our love for a player than reading about when we are sh1t canning one of our own

I think he might be one part Pacific Islander the way he runs. He can change direction without really slowing down, just by leaning his hips out over his feet (like a superbike on the lean), and the laconic gait means many players underestimate his speed. Force is equal to mass times acceleration and he has the perfect blend of that to make him hard to stop.

The other thing with his is he has really good genes with regards to athletics over longer distances meaning his tank is going to be a big strength of his and means he'll have a high "cruising speed." He has all the tools f he can get his head right and clean up his short kicks.

Wasn't totally convinced initially that Steele would be anything other than a solid contested ball winner, grunt player. Loved his game yesterday, smart player with a real ability to read the play and goes with his instinct - will be one to watch.
21 years old and 22 games. It shows why the giants wanted to hang on to him.
I get the feeling he could end up being our best trade.
Took a big step on the weekend.

The other thing with his is he has really good genes with regards to athletics over longer distances meaning his tank is going to be a big strength of his and means he'll have a high "cruising speed." He has all the tools f he can get his head right and clean up his short kicks.

I'm interested in the good genes comment. Does someone in the family have an athletic pedigree?

Players who have offensive run like Blacres make defenders accountable. The latest technique in footy is to draw the defender before you handball to your team mate. Well, Blake often attracts two to three defenders. When he runs through or past the first zone defender, that means the secondary row of zone defenders can't just keeping running back to clog up our forward 50. Someone needs to run toward him which means a saints forward somewhere should find space.

His offensive running is a real weapon, and I hope the team learns how to capitalise on that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm interested in the good genes comment. Does someone in the family have an athletic pedigree?

Players who have offensive run like Blacres make defenders accountable. The latest technique in footy is to draw the defender before you handball to your team mate. Well, Blake often attracts two to three defenders. When he runs through or past the first zone defender, that means the secondary row of zone defenders can't just keeping running back to clog up our forward 50. Someone needs to run toward him which means a saints forward somewhere should find space.

His offensive running is a real weapon, and I hope the team learns how to capitalise on that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

His Uncle Barry Acres was an Australian 800 metre champion.

http://athhistory.imgstg.com/athletes/athlete1175.htm

Momentum = mass x velocity is more relevant to what is required to stop him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Saints v Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back