Preview Saints vs Blues, Monday May 12, 7:20pm at Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure we will play 2 of Siposs, Murdoch and Milera and I think Siposs is the one who will get the spot.

Richo seems to like having 2 slots up forward reserved for a defensive forward(Saunders/Jones) and a resting mid. I think adding 2 of the more dedicated forwards might compromise that forward 50 pressure too much. If Siposs performs better than Savage we should see a lift in our scoring power without compromising that pressure. But really it mostly relies on how our mids deliver the ball inside 50. If we just kick it to Roo in 2v1's or bomb it long without a real target then we will struggle to score no matter who we have in the team.

Please God can we play more than one forward that can kick goals.

Don't get me wrong I understand the need for forwards that can defend, but that should only be a part of their game the other part being their ability to kick goals, that's what being a forward is all about.

No doubt Sip has been building but I'd love to see him put in the effort of some of the other young guys, like Dunstan who hasn't even been here for a year yet.
Siposs has put in the effort, you just didn't see it. His effort in the last quarter v Essendon was absolutely instrumental in the win. He took strong contested marks, brilliant gathers, he selflessly passed it off to team mates, then he took the bull by the horns and kicked the goal that put them in the lead (from 60m) then he dropped back into defence and twice saved us, once with a clearing kick and once with a superb saving mark. People constantly misread Arryn - they think he can't be bothered chasing but in truth he doesn't have the turn of speed most small and medium sized players have. He is trying his guts out. You will see.

Please God can we play more than one forward that can kick goals.

Don't get me wrong I understand the need for forwards that can defend, but that should only be a part of their game the other part being their ability to kick goals, that's what being a forward is all about.

Roo, Billings, Schneider, Siposs and Stanley?

I think out of all the young kids I really want to see Siposs succeed the most. His Cinderella story of pick 75 to the team he has always supported strongly is really something of legends.

Honestly his pick isn't really an issue, rookies prove time and time again that high picks can still produce some of the best footballers around.

Listening to Richo, on the Marngrook Footy Show last night (the best footy show we get in Qld) he says Siposs is very very close & Milera is not far away.

ugh ! I missed it.
Marngrook is one of my favourite footy shows. they talk about footy and don't show the same outdated, not funny the first time, crap joke, over and over.

Will be interesting to see if we go back to the slightly shorter but more rebounding type backline that we started the year with. Carlton's talls have got us in the past by simply just being bigger than our guys so I think Bruce should come back in.

What I'd go with based off those changes:

In: Dunstan, Siposs, Murdoch, Bruce

Out: Savage Geary Simpkin Saunders

That gives us a much better looking team. Siposs is in good contested marking form and Murdoch is a big unit who's very capable of that as well! Dunstan speaks for himself and Bruce comes in as a bit of cover. Too risky going in with just the one key defender IMO.

"Regardless of what additional changes Richardson chooses to make, the fact that Acres, Billings and Dunstan are all considered in the best 18 players at the club this week demonstrates just how promising the future is at St Kilda."

If only my washing machine had a spin cycle this good...

Haha don't we all....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Murdoch and Milera miss out. Unsure of the last one, but I get a sneaky suspicion with Weller and Curren in the team that Clint Jones is getting the hook.

In: Bruce Siposs Dunstan Shenton
Out: Savage Geary Simpkin Jones

Ray, Jones, Weller, Saunders, Milera, Acres, Murdoch all named on the interchange for Sandy. So I guess the outs come from there.

I think Murdoch and Milera miss out. Unsure of the last one, but I get a sneaky suspicion with Weller and Curren in the team that Clint Jones is getting the hook.

In: Bruce Siposs Dunstan Shenton
Out: Savage Geary Simpkin Jones

Echoes my thoughts. One of the 3 defensive mids (Curren, Weller, Jones) has to go. And Jones' form + age has him in the firing line, methinks - plus he is the only one named for Sandy.

As for the rest, Bruce stiff to be omitted in the first place (and IMHO was missed vs Hawks) so should return; Dunstan a given; and this year we haven't yet elevated a rookie without playing them straight away thereafter. Sipposs up against Milera, but Milera named for Sandi and not Siposs.

Roo, Billings, Schneider, Siposs and Stanley?
I don't care who it is, send Bruce down there, the frustration of a Nick or Nothing forward line is really getting to me.
If Nick doesn't get them no-one else has been able to in quantity, either individually or as a group, a defensive forward who doesn't kick goals is just giving the opposition a loose man in defence.

I mean ket's be honest... some players are getting a game due to injuries. If Armo, Gilbert, Wright and Geary were fit...

Yeah agree. I get what they are trying to say but they just went about it the wrong way. Doesn't read the way it probably should.

I don't care who it is, send Bruce down there, the frustration of a Nick or Nothing forward line is really getting to me.
If Nick doesn't get them no-one else has been able to in quantity, either individually or as a group, a defensive forward who doesn't kick goals is just giving the opposition a loose man in defence.

We definitely need another option up front. It's painful to watch when other sides get on top of Reiwoldt. It just makes us uncompetitive.Especially considering Stanley spends a fair bit of time in the ruck.

I like a few, hope Bruce makes a return, the game against Brissie wasn't all that bad although if he had softer hands he may have held a few more marks. IMO just thought he was rushing at trying to grab the ball instead of letting it nestle into the palms, reckon he was trying his hardest to impress & who can blame him. Given another gallop reckon we'll see a very strong & safe defender/forward? who will serve us for many years to come.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Saints vs Blues, Monday May 12, 7:20pm at Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back