Preview Saints vs Bombers Fri 14 July Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rapt that newnes appears ok. I was just coming on to mention how big a loss him Jimmy and skunk would be.

Getting excited but also nervous. We can't afford to drop this one but methendon are a good young team when they're on

who ******* knows in season 2017.

I've seen our team play both the best footy of the comp (v Port Adelaide, WC) and the worst footy of the comp (Melbourne, Brisbane). I dare say you have seen similar.

Strangely enough I like that you guys had such a big win and we're such heavy underdogs. Bit worried about Steven and Ross though. Hopefully Merrett and Heppell both have cracking games to match them.

Walla is a gem, as you say, and alongside Fantasia really gives us an edge if they fire. One name you probably aren't too concerned about but maybe should be - if I might be so bold - is big Tommy Bellchambers. He has been absolutely mint over the last few weeks. Hugely competitive in the ruck and allows Joe Daniher to spend a lot of time forward. The other one would be David Zaharakis. His run has been instrumental in our good games over the last 4-6 weeks, he's been very good. Hooker is the other guy who is probably due - but having said that may just fizzle as well the way he's been going.

Interested in some of the match ups. Not sure who will take Roo and Bruce, as in, which way they'll go with Hurley and Hartley. I dare say McGrath to Gresham will keep shit really interesting for everyone.

******* can't wait already

How's Francis tracking? Thought he looked terrific when he debuted last year - clean and confident. Body holding him back?

How's Francis tracking? Thought he looked terrific when he debuted last year - clean and confident. Body holding him back?
he was injured for a period but it's not so much body as simply overall fitness. He's been able to have a great impact in spurts but then goes missing for large chunks - exactly as you'd expect someone to behave if they aren't completely AFL fit. I personally have no concerns over it, he's not a "natural athlete"; and VFL watchers are saying he's getting a lot better and ran out the last game really well, so I'd expect we'll see another game or two before the year is out, and hopefully a bit preseason puts him in the frame for next year

he was injured for a period but it's not so much body as simply overall fitness. He's been able to have a great impact in spurts but then goes missing for large chunks - exactly as you'd expect someone to behave if they aren't completely AFL fit. I personally have no concerns over it, he's not a "natural athlete"; and VFL watchers are saying he's getting a lot better and ran out the last game really well, so I'd expect we'll see another game or two before the year is out, and hopefully a bit preseason puts him in the frame for next year

We expect so much from kids yet to do a full pre-season

Will be great to watch him when fit/mature

He has that rare confidence/spatial awareness/skill that should make him a weapon

/QUOTE]
Have to agree with that.Have been ordinary in Adelaide and Sydney and so must beat Bombers.
Then two wins after Fridays game should get us a finals spot
Surely we can win two games from our remaining Melbourne games.
WCE,MLB,NTH and RICH.

If I have the day free what I like doing is watching an old throwback classic of the two sides before the game starts, then tune into the current day Saints.

Cleared out Friday to sit back with some beers and watch this classic from '97.
52,000 at the 'G.

I'm pumped already.

Great memories there...

The maggots were still white.
Goal umpires wore lab coats and bowling hats.
Bucket's Joe the goose goal.
Monobrow Peckett...
A 34 year old Fletcher...
The list goes on.

20 years gone quick.

Cleared out Friday to sit back with some beers and watch this classic from '97.
52,000 at the 'G.
I was there that day George...what a day...what a win.

That win for me...signalled that something was going on with the team.....after many bad years,were we going to be seriously good that year....and we were.

No chocolates tho...Boooooo

I was there that day George...what a day...what a win.

That win for me...signalled that something was going on with the team.....after many bad years,were we going to be seriously good that year....and we were.

No chocolates tho...Boooooo
20 years on it feels as though if we win this Friday night we'll get similar feelings mate!

Great memories there...

The maggots were still white.
Goal umpires wore lab coats and bowling hats.
Bucket's Joe the goose goal.
Monobrow Peckett...
A 34 year old Fletcher...
The list goes on.

20 years gone quick.
Loved the umpires coats and hats....really wished they still used that gear....looks fantastic.

It's interesting that late last season and this pre season....when asked who would be a "buy"...most journo's ..media people nominated the Dee's over us....just.

And so they should...Dee's have been rebuilding for 10 years.........with higher draft picks and drafting some very good players of late.

It was hard to argue pre season that they didn't have the better/deeper midfield.

After 16 rounds and ups and downs for both sides...both sides are now in the 8.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Acres was pulled out of the game for a reason. Would be highly surprised if anything dunstan did in that last quarter when the game was done has put him ahead of blake.

On another note, it'd be terrific if we could prove last week was no fluke and really come out strong against another good side, obviously we're not going to be up 122-27 again but it'd be so good to see us play a similar quality of footy two weeks in a row, and would really stamp our finals credentials.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Do you guys think battle might play was just reading this on the AFL site
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-11/firstyear-saint-set-to-extend-his-stay

A knee injury stymied his progress earlier in the season and forced him to miss three weeks, but the suspension of fellow forward Tim Membrey could open the door for the Dandenong Stingrays product to debut in a baptism of fire against Essendon on Friday night.

Do you guys think battle might play was just reading http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-11/firstyear-saint-set-to-extend-his-stay on the AFL site

A knee injury stymied his progress earlier in the season and forced him to miss three weeks, but the suspension of fellow forward Tim Membrey could open the door for the Dandenong Stingrays product to debut in a baptism of fire against Essendon on Friday night.

Hmm maybe. But put it this way if I was paddy, concussion or not, I'd be pretty f*n pissed off of a first year pick 39 3rd tall played ahead of me.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well that's good news that Battle looks like extending. I thought there would be a very strong chance that he would do a Membrey and seek opportunities elsewhere at the end of his first contract. With all of Riewoldt (for next year as well perhaps), Bruce, Membrey, Paddy and Marshall as competition, he's going to seriously have his work cut out getting a look in.

Well that's good news that Battle looks like extending. I thought there would be a very strong chance that he would do a Membrey and seek opportunities elsewhere at the end of his first contract. With all of Riewoldt (for next year as well perhaps), Bruce, Membrey, Paddy and Marshall as competition, he's going to seriously have his work cut out getting a look in.
He was over the moon about getting drafting to the Saints, was a real chance to go to the Dockers

I can't help but get concerned with Paddy's position in the team

I can't help but get concerned with Paddy's position in the team
Paddy just needs to get on top of his diabetes and/or fitness issues and keep his head out of trouble and I reckon he'll be fine.

The fact he was able to get 15 disposals in each of his last two games (and 9 marks in one of them), in a team that was pretty putrid and moved the ball forward terribly, says a lot of his capabilities.

Imagine what he'll be able to do when he's fitter, stronger, more confident and we're putting it on a platter for him, in a team that's regularly dominating!

Last edited:

Why would Battle even think of leaving? He's at school this year, will probably play most of next year in the VFL and by the time he comes in Roo will be gone ( sadly). Thnking of leaving at this stage would be a ridiculous thing for him to do, he's still a babe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back