Sando is either a freaking genius or mad as a hatter!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Did he ellaborate why ... or was he shit stirring?

It was the segment where KG asks a tough question for a yes or no answer... they asked Jars if he barracked for Saints in the 97 GF, because he was dirty on them cutting him.

They asked Tredders if he thought Sando was a good coach.. "Nope". Said he's a Monday to Friday coach, and doesn't make the match day moves required to win a game.

Shame the podcast on the website only features an eleven minute selection.

It was the segment where KG asks a tough question for a yes or no answer... they asked Jars if he barracked for Saints in the 97 GF, because he was dirty on them cutting him.

They asked Tredders if he thought Sando was a good coach.. "Nope". Said he's a Monday to Friday coach, and doesn't make the match day moves required to win a game.

Shame the podcast on the website only features an eleven minute selection.

Some superb back peddling today

http://www.triplem.com.au/adelaide/sport/afl/news/tredders-brenton-sanderson-controversy-/

Does anyone else think that they way the game has been umpired since Thompson/Gieschen-gate, has actually suited our style, especially our midfielders? It just seems we are getting less caned at stoppages with momentum killing free kicks. I haven't got any raw data to back that up, just a casual observation. It seems guys like Thompson and Dangerfield are enjoying the umpires letting the game go a bit more.

Did he ellaborate why ... or was he shit stirring?
Nah, didn't really go much further as it was apart of the Dead Set Legends 'Under the Pump' segment, where they give short and sharp answers. I don't usually mind Tredders, and actually enjoy listening to his insights, but he surely has to concede he's wrong on this one?

Our side was a kick away from a GF last year, had a slow start this year, but are slowly building, so what has he based this on?

I actually think McKernan offered far more around the ground as a ruckman than Sauce.

It might also be the motivational spur that Sauce needs to get back to his best.

Even getting him on AA and out in the media will help - the more involved and confident in himself and the team he is, the better.

I'm going to start another thread on it soon, but the most telling thing out of yesterday's game?

If we get our selection right.
If we get our structure right.

We could beat anybody.

Except our game plan really isn't all that great - we won today because the group has superior fitness, and the Kangaroos have a singular one way game plan in a similar vein to Essendon of 2008, with no ability to change to something else. Petrie had free kicks with 1:30, and 40 seconds left on the clock. They should have won. The reason they didn't was entirely because no Kangaroo was fit enough to run and demand a pass, they stood still and then jogged to the boundary contests they forced him into selecting. Watch the 6th Kerridge goal again - Firrito can't even run anymore, he knows Kerridge is heading to the square to contest the mark or shepherd, and he isn't even able to attempt to keep up with him.

Our zone was pretty consistently cut to shreds again today, seems to be a common occurrence, and it's the reason our insufficient small defense is being so badly exposed all the time, despite our essentially overwhelmingly superior tall defence.
Hey Tredders.

For those not wanting to listen to him, care to summarise how he backpeddaled?

Was basically saying that he was under pressure in the segment and that he had to give an answer. And some waffle.

Did admit that the egg was on his face today at least.

its going to be interesting to see how he manages the raft of kids in the team at the moment especially if they keep tracking for finals...

Except our game plan really isn't all that great - we won today because the group has superior fitness, and the Kangaroos have a singular one way game plan in a similar vein to Essendon of 2008, with no ability to change to something else. Petrie had free kicks with 1:30, and 40 seconds left on the clock. They should have won. The reason they didn't was entirely because no Kangaroo was fit enough to run and demand a pass, they stood still and then jogged to the boundary contests they forced him into selecting. Watch the 6th Kerridge goal again - Firrito can't even run anymore, he knows Kerridge is heading to the square to contest the mark or shepherd, and he isn't even able to attempt to keep up with him.

Our zone was pretty consistently cut to shreds again today, seems to be a common occurrence, and it's the reason our insufficient small defense is being so badly exposed all the time, despite our essentially overwhelmingly superior tall defence.

:thumbsu:

I love Sando. Think he has been fantastic since coming over. Love the way we have gone about it and am very happy he is our coach.

Thought his match day coaching against North was mostly quality. Loved the way he cycled through defenders until Brown shut down Thomas.

However, he isn't perfect and there are a few things to be critical of this year and in the North game.

For me one of the biggest issues with Sando has been his use of the sub. Have felt he didn't pull the trigger quickly enough in games (Syd final, Prelim, Essendon Rd 1, Port Adelaide game). Loved his substitution against North. 8-12 minutes into the 3rd quarter is the perfect time to make an unforced sub. It allows our player to find his feet and work his way into the game during the 3rd qtr so that they can impact the 4th quarter.

Another issue Sando really needs to work on as coach are our setups to start the 1st and 3rd quarters.

Here is our record based on qtrs this year:

1st quarters - Won 3 out of 9
2nd quarters - Won 7 out of 9
3rd quarters - Won 3 out of 9
4th quarters - Won 6 out of 9

I have no idea if it is a mental issue with our squad or whether we are too predictable in our setups. I have no stats to prove this, but my gut is that we are generally very slow to start quarters as well (I know we started all 4 qtrs very slowly against North) and then work our way into the game.

Back to the North game - I have no idea why Dangerfield started the game at full forward. Heading in to a must win game against a quality team on the road we needed to get off to a good start. Our biggest issue this year has been our centre clearances. Having our best player clearance player who is a midfielder sitting at full forward while North win the first 2 centre clearances and kick the first 2 goals baffled me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is the assumption here, that the players are doing exactly what is expected of them by the coach for 100% of the game? How can you pass such critique when you really have no idea when the players are playing to the structure and when they aren't?

Is the assumption here, that the players are doing exactly what is expected of them by the coach for 100% of the game? How can you pass such critique when you really have no idea when the players are playing to the structure and when they aren't?

The assumption here is that we are being beaten at the beginning of qtrs and performing much worse in the 1st and 3rd quarters.... To me that shows that we are either getting our matchups at the start of each half wrong or are just not switched on, which are both coaching issues in my opinion.

Also looking at our season this year - Sando hasn't had us playing our brand of footy. He keeps saying that we want to play tight, contested footy. Instead 3 out of our 4 losses and our lucky win vs North have been very high scoring (199points+).

What I don't understand is how you challenge all my posts which aren't glowing about Sando. In my opinion I have not been overly harsh, in fact I rate the guy highly. I think criticism of Sando is fair. We are yet to beat a side that will finish in the top 8 and aren't playing the way he wants.

I am happy to see criticism of Sanderson when people are dealing with facts. People like yourself seem to continually raise the game plan and structure to explain everything that happens on the field. There is an expectation that the game plan should cover every eventuality on the field and that if the structure is correct then an opposition team should have no possible way of counteracting you. All great in theory if you are playing against traffic cones. Unfortunately in a game of AFL football your opposition (unless its Melbourne) will also have a game plan and normally its not done with the purpose of accommodating yours.

If you listen to Sanderson he will happily concede that our structure is high risk and that at times we will get cut to ribbons if the players are not switched on and make errors.

I just find it highly amusing that certain people are constantly critical of a game plan that they really cant possibly understand unless they are privvy to the team meetings. How can any of us say for sure that its the structure at fault when we have no idea if the players are playing to the structure. We cant, so stop pretending you are Leigh Matthews.

FWIW I think playing Dangerfield at full forward from the start was a mistake. We are a dramatically better side with him on the ball. What you and I don't understand is Sandersons reasons for doing it. Clearly he was trying to manipulate the on ball match ups early in the game. On the face of it given our terrible first quarter you would have to say it was unsuccessful. I'm glad Sanderson tries shit like that though. Its just annoying that the minute he tries something and fails, the armchair experts are all over him.

Why did Bruce say one minute and something? (Sorry to get hung up on this, but Bruce is rarely wrong.....)

We led for 16 secs of actual game time (channel 7 clock) but in real time (clock at the ground) we lead for 63 seconds. Remember the clock keeps running even after a goal is kicked etc, whereas the game time clock stops.

Sanderson's overall game plan/philosophy is that whilst it may cause headaches, particularly the concession of quick goals, the style will ultimately stand up in finals.

So far it got ripped to shreds by Sydney, worked against Fremantle, and all but worked against Hawthorn.

We need to get there this year to find out.

The footy club, for the first time IMO, is playing the "long game". Developing a structure that will ultimately win important finals. We did not have this under Neil Craig.

Sanderson is intriguing. He's much more up himself as a coach much more confident than what he was as a player. It's a dynamic you don't see as much. He did love himself when he played, those modelling pics are testament to that. It was never apparent on the field with the aura of his game. The way he played half back, showed he had a lot of knowledge of the game, but again there was nothing I saw that would warn of his egotistical nature as a coach.You would say he's measured and insightful.

He enjoys his coaching, that is a very good thing.

Sanderson is intriguing. He's much more up himself as a coach much more confident than what he was as a player. It's a dynamic you don't see as much. He did love himself when he played, those modelling pics are testament to that. It was never apparent on the field with the aura of his game. The way he played half back, showed he had a lot of knowledge of the game, but again there was nothing I saw that would warn of his egotistical nature as a coach.You would say he's measured and insightful.

He enjoys his coaching, that is a very good thing.
I think you have to have a bit of that about you to believe you are good enough to coach an AFL football team.

I am happy to see criticism of Sanderson when people are dealing with facts. People like yourself seem to continually raise the game plan and structure to explain everything that happens on the field. There is an expectation that the game plan should cover every eventuality on the field and that if the structure is correct then an opposition team should have no possible way of counteracting you. All great in theory if you are playing against traffic cones. Unfortunately in a game of AFL football your opposition (unless its Melbourne) will also have a game plan and normally its not done with the purpose of accommodating yours.

I just find it highly amusing that certain people are constantly critical of a game plan that they really cant possibly understand unless they are privvy to the team meetings. How can any of us say for sure that its the structure at fault when we have no idea if the players are playing to the structure. We cant, so stop pretending you are Leigh Matthews.

FWIW I think playing Dangerfield at full forward from the start was a mistake. We are a dramatically better side with him on the ball. What you and I don't understand is Sandersons reasons for doing it. Clearly he was trying to manipulate the on ball match ups early in the game.

Didn't seem to be a problem prior to 2012 Wood Duck.

Like yourself I am somewhat amazed by the lack of comment/criticism of Patty spending so much time forward this year;)

IMHO Sando's get ball/kick ball game plan was starting to be exposed towards the end of last season, particularly the finals against a severely undermanned Freo and Sydney. We tried something more innovative against Hawthorn in the prelim (e.g. Tex the decoy) and almost stole the game.

The loss of both $kirt and Tex means we can't just bomb the ball down the line anymore and we could become better in the process. The next two matches will show us exactly where we are.

If you listen to Sanderson he will happily concede that our structure is high risk and that at times we will get cut to ribbons if the players are not switched on and make errors.

FWIW I think playing Dangerfield at full forward from the start was a mistake. We are a dramatically better side with him on the ball. What you and I don't understand is Sandersons reasons for doing it. Clearly he was trying to manipulate the on ball match ups early in the game. On the face of it given our terrible first quarter you would have to say it was unsuccessful. I'm glad Sanderson tries shit like that though. Its just annoying that the minute he tries something and fails, the armchair experts are all over him.

Okay - so we need pure facts when discussing Sando's gameplan... What a load of horseshit. May as ban all discussions on coaching then. I hope you fired up at all those Neil Craig detractors, especially since you weren't privvy to team meetings . Who knows maybe the players weren't playing to Craigy's structures?

Constantly critical of his gameplan? Apart from being critical of when Sando uses the sub, I have raised concerns over Sando's gameplan and coaching twice.

First time was when I felt he was outcoached in the first half of Saint Kilda game. I felt St. Kilda came in with a very defensive mindset and were trying to get numbers back at every chance and keep the game close. We had no answer in that first half. We weren't ready for that type of game. Sando made adjustments at the half and we ended up with a 40 point win.

The other time I was critical of Sando was with my points above (1st/3rd quarters, slow starts to the quarter, not playing the style of footy Sando has said he wants us playing). Yes, these issues could be the fault of the playing group not doing what Sando wants, however there is one person ultimately responsible for the way we play and the results we get... Thats Sando... If the players aren't doing what he wants - why the hell not? The buck stops with Sando... He rightly got a hell of a lot of credit for our form last year, now he needs to cop a bit of heat with the way we have played this year.

To the bolded parts. I am not sure if you aware, but we are all armchair experts. FFS - this is an internet forum where passionate supporters discuss everything to do with this club. Get off your high horse.

The fact remains. We started every quarter on Sunday very poorly. We have played very poorly in our 1st and 3rd quarters this year. We have stated that we want to play tight contested footy, yet 3 of our 4 losses were shootouts (and so was Sunday's lucky win). WHY?

Here is an idea - instead of calling people armchair experts, why don't you actually contribute something. Would happily hear your reasons why we aren't playing the way we want. This forum is here for people to discuss their opinions on all things crows - not for you to be a dick to everyone who is even slightly critical of Sando's coaching.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back