Sando is either a freaking genius or mad as a hatter!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven't read the entire thread here so excuse me if it's been mentioned but sending Rutten forward WITH Petrie was a good move.

Petrie had a couple of touches very late in the game as we know but we had to keep them man on man and accountable in our forward line, so we were playing with 7 forwards (including our FB playing a 'defensive' role on Petrie in our forward line) really good counteractive stuff!!! #excited

Okay - so we need pure facts when discussing Sando's gameplan... What a load of horseshit. May as ban all discussions on coaching then. I hope you fired up at all those Neil Craig detractors, especially since you weren't privvy to team meetings . Who knows maybe the players weren't playing to Craigy's structures?

Constantly critical of his gameplan? Apart from being critical of when Sando uses the sub, I have raised concerns over Sando's gameplan and coaching twice.

First time was when I felt he was outcoached in the first half of Saint Kilda game. I felt St. Kilda came in with a very defensive mindset and were trying to get numbers back at every chance and keep the game close. We had no answer in that first half. We weren't ready for that type of game. Sando made adjustments at the half and we ended up with a 40 point win.

To the bolded parts. I am not sure if you aware, but we are all armchair experts. FFS - this is an internet forum where passionate supporters discuss everything to do with this club. Get off your high horse.
Read your post, you are the one telling an AFL coach what he needs to 'work on'. Your condescending tone suggests you are some sort of football guru passing on some helpful tips to young Brenton who is still a bit wet behind the ears and could probably benefit from your wealth of experience.

Up yourself much?

Read your post, you are the one telling an AFL coach what he needs to 'work on'. Your condescending tone suggests you are some sort of football guru passing on some helpful tips to young Brenton who is still a bit wet behind the ears and could probably benefit from your wealth of experience.

Up yourself much?

You are not serious.

This is a discussion on an internet forum about Sando's coaching, but to discuss our coaches weaknesses is condescending? Pointing out that we have struggled early in the qtrs, have had very poor 1st and 3rd quarters and have not played the style of footy that Sando says he wants us to pay makes me a football guru with a wealth of experience.

To the bolded bit. You are calling me out for telling an AFL Coach what he needs to work on? 80% of threads on the Adelaide footy forum are based around discussions of what players need to work on and what they do well. What the hell is the difference between me questioning some of Sando's moves, and every other punter on this thread question whether Petrenko & Reilly are AFL caliber players?

What the hell is the difference between me questioning some of Sando's moves, and every other punter on this thread question whether Petrenko & Reilly are AFL caliber players?
Every other punter gets to see Reilly and Petrenko play football and make judgements on what they see with their own eyes. We don't get to see Sanderson be a coach.

Haven't read the entire thread here so excuse me if it's been mentioned but sending Rutten forward WITH Petrie was a good move.

Petrie had a couple of touches very late in the game as we know but we had to keep them man on man and accountable in our forward line, so we were playing with 7 forwards (including our FB playing a 'defensive' role on Petrie in our forward line) really good counteractive stuff!!! #excited
didn't he kick goals with his first 3 kicks in afl? maybe sando was hoping hed kick the matchwinner :D

I always felt like Neil was an armchair general, had the best drills, best science, the best systems but not the best tactics. The entire focus was on the whole, on the group rather than allow for individual brilliance. This was exemplified in those prelims that we lost to WCE, we had no ability to lift.
Sando is different though, he bought us beef, he bought us belief, and he reads the game well.

I hear what your saying but the WCE prelim is probably not the best example to use. If my memory serves me correctly, we did lift in the last quarter and it was only a free against us at the last centre bounce that robbed us of momentum.

Does anyone else think that they way the game has been umpired since Thompson/Gieschen-gate, has actually suited our style, especially our midfielders? It just seems we are getting less caned at stoppages with momentum killing free kicks. I haven't got any raw data to back that up, just a casual observation. It seems guys like Thompson and Dangerfield are enjoying the umpires letting the game go a bit more.

I'm actually wondering whether the Umpires actually made a point to show up the ridiculous rule changes for what they were by over officiating the games. I'm sure they get as sick of all the changes as we do. Maybe they're more clever than we thought. Or maybe not. :p

Geez Wood_Duck you've changed man. It used to be about the music.

This Board isn't a direct line to Sando. It's just where us footy fans can float our theories.

Yeah, we only have part of the info to go on. .. but let's do it anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hear what your saying but the WCE prelim is probably not the best example to use. If my memory serves me correctly, we did lift in the last quarter and it was only a free against us at the last centre bounce that robbed us of momentum.

Yeah, kinda my point, it was a Prelim final and we were only lifting at the end.

I love the way we have fought our way back in matches but I wonder why our starts have been so poor this year (except the first 10 minutes against Essendon). Even the first quarter against the Giants was aweful.

Our tackling in first quarters has been terrible (i.e. tackles for versus against). Is it an attitude problem, game plan or the lack of experience?

We have played some of our best football when we thought the game was lost (e.g. the last quarters against Carlton and the Kangaroos).

The next two weeks we play the two toughest defensive teams in the AFL, so we will find out where we are at.

Sando is missing Bailey's input matchday, obviously he's a big wrap for Dean. Intersting Sando rates hi coaching this season as a C+, bit hard on himself???

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/crows-coach-gives-himself-a-c-grade-20130529-2nbd4.html

Adelaide's Brenton Sanderson gives himself a C grade as an AFL coach, saying he's feeling the void left by the suspension of mentor Dean Bailey from the coaches box.
Bailey, the ex-Melbourne coach, is suspended until round 16 for his role in the Demons' 2009 tanking scandal.
In his second year as the Crows' strategy coach, Bailey was found guilty of conduct prejudicial to the AFL's interest and banned from any match-day role.
"I would love to have Dean in the back of the box as well, with his senior coaching experience and his knowledge," second-year coach Sanderson told reporters on Wednesday.
"He is working really hard with us during the week as a coaching group.
"But his inability to do any coaching with players has been a real challenge for us.
"We have to get on with it. Round 16 he is back. But in the meantime he's working hard behind the scenes to ensure we're getting better as a coaching group."

Sanderson said he gave himself a "C" grade as coach this year.
"I am pretty hard on myself too and I look for ways to keep getting better. And sometimes we just look at wins and losses as a measure of success," he said.
"But I feel like we are coaching well as a group."
Sanderson gave his seventh-placed players a "C-plus" grade for their five wins and four losses.
"When you look at Geelong, Hawthorn, Essendon, Sydney, Fremantle: those five sides are the real standouts," he said.
"Then it's a bit of a log-jam I reckon between probably six down to 12, some sides which have had some issues with injuries and inconsistency."
Sanderson blamed inexperience for his side's up-and-down year, noting last week's Crows side was the fourth youngest team in the league.
"I don't agree with the term rebuilding, you will never hear that from me," he said.
"We are still trying to win games while exposing our youth to AFL intensity. We are forever rebuilding but we don't call it that, we call it list management."

Ballsy move from Sando. Had to happen though, with Tex out everything needed to be shuffled aroundl. I recon he is on the money and should keep experimenting with the right forward set up over the next few wks

We led for 16 secs of actual game time (channel 7 clock) but in real time (clock at the ground) we lead for 63 seconds. Remember the clock keeps running even after a goal is kicked etc, whereas the game time clock stops.

Sorry H, I don't understand that. Might be my morning (decade?) for being thick. Can you please explain the difference in timings for me?

Yep. Petrie received 2 frees from pack marking contests (push/back) in the last few minutes and when the second occurred I felt sure our race was run and we would drop our heads. I'm not suggesting that the frees weren't there because I couldn't see them from the tv angle but anyway we kept at it solidly (mind you there was only minutes to go) and didn't let it affect us. If we can build on this sort of tenacity it will be a major step forward with our game because history shows how often we have been cut off at the pass by umpiring decisions to the detriment of our spirit. The fact that we then closed out any NM opportunities to switch (to either maintain possession or create run down the opposite side), in stark contrast to the other 3.8 quarters, was winning stuff. Thankfully Petrie chose to play safe by kicking long to near boundary contests.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sando is either a freaking genius or mad as a hatter!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back