Sando is either a freaking genius or mad as a hatter!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd trade Sando for lyon in a second

And I like Sando
Wow... You lost me right there. Lets be clear... Your talking about Ross " can't win a flag with a great team because of a dreadful game style " Lyon?

He is a one dimensional coach useful only if he has a good, mature , team at his disposal .

Lets see ... A coach who sounds almost too smart for himself, a defensive game plan that gives him a great minor round record but dosent stand up in finals, no feel for junior development leading to a flawed succession plan. Who does that sound like I wonder.

Maybe get a reference from st Kilda?

Wow... You lost me right there. Lets be clear... Your talking about Ross " can't win a flag with a great team because of a dreadful game style " Lyon?

He is a one dimensional coach useful only if he has a good, mature , team at his disposal .

Lets see ... A coach who sounds almost too smart for himself, a defensive game plan that gives him a great minor round record but dosent stand up in finals, no feel for junior development leading to a flawed succession plan. Who does that sound like I wonder.

'

He took St Kilda to two grand finals, one of which he would have won bar the bounce of a ball away from Milne.

Last year he took Fremantle of the 2 finals appearances in their history, travelled to Melbourne and knocked off the mighty Geelong.

It's actually fair to say his finals resume is more impressive than Sandersons to date, which includes a home defeat to our so called bunnies.

What are you talking about?

'

He took St Kilda to two grand finals, one of which he would have won bar the bounce of a ball away from Milne.

Last year he took Fremantle of the 2 finals appearances in their history, travelled to Melbourne and knocked off the mighty Geelong.

It's actually fair to say his finals resume is more impressive than Sandersons to date, which includes a home defeat to our so called bunnies.

3 goes at a GF and all failed.

Sando is only a second year coach, but would still take him in heartbeat over Lyon . Just my opinion

Sando is only a second year coach, but would still take him in heartbeat over Lyon . Just my opinion

Are you serious?

Three "goes" at a grand final.

Yes, everyone gets turns at it. That's how it works.

The one thing about Ross Lyon's game plan is that you are almost guaranteed to have some heart stopping moments in September. And the question then becomes - how many of them can you reasonably get through?

A game plan that doesn't allow you to score goals quickly relies a lot on the goodwill of the footy gods. It also keeps your opponent in the contest on days when they shouldn't be.

The flip side is that it can generate remarkable consistency of performance regardless of personnel.

By less than a goal, and a draw. Terrible coach.

By the way, when did we last make a grand final?

Are you serious?

Three "goes" at a grand final.

Yes, everyone gets turns at it. That's how it works.
Look if you like him as a coach fair enough. I don't. I don't like the brand of football and the fact is that he is not a premiership coach. I also don't rate his succession planning or junior development.

Ross is clearly a polarising coach. I'm in the camp that would hate to see him anywhere near our club. Give me Sando any day of the week thanks.

Look if you like him as a coach fair enough. I don't. I don't like the brand of football and the fact is that he is not a premiership coach. I also don't rate his succession planning or junior development.

Ross is clearly a polarising coach. I'm in the camp that would hate to see him anywhere near our club. Give me Sando any day of the week thanks.
The fact that Sanderson hasn't taken us to 3 grand finals definitely works against him here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact that Sanderson hasn't taken us to 3 grand finals definitely works against him here.

Didn't take us to a grand final after finishing second on the ladder- until he rights that wrong he has a strike against him as a 'finals coach'.

However we've actually had three coaches since our last grand final appearance. Suggests it's not actually so easy to achieve as you would have us believe.

The one thing about Ross Lyon's game plan is that you are almost guaranteed to have some heart stopping moments in September. And the question then becomes - how many of them can you reasonably get through?

A game plan that doesn't allow you to score goals quickly relies a lot on the goodwill of the footy gods. It also keeps your opponent in the contest on days when they shouldn't be.

The flip side is that it can generate remarkable consistency of performance regardless of personnel.

Summed it up perfectly.

That 2009/2010 St. Kilda was one of the better sides to not win a flag.

Will be interesting to see if Lyon can make the most of Pav and Sandilands last couple of years.

Didn't take us to a grand final after finishing second on the ladder- until he rights that wrong he has a strike against him as a 'finals coach'.

However we've actually had three coaches since our last grand final appearance. Suggests it's not actually so easy to achieve as you would have us believe.

A strike against him? Far cough.

He took the team from two shambles of years and took us close...... Go back and read threads from preseason last year and see what expectations were.

How about we wait for a few finals series before even discussing strikes.......

Summed it up perfectly.

That 2009/2010 St. Kilda was one of the better sides to not win a flag.

Will be interesting to see if Lyon can make the most of Pav and Sandilands last couple of years.
Beat me to the punch.

It does merit noting just how good a side he had at his disposal.

Anyway... There are threads all over the place with endless debate about Ross, his methods and his degree of success.

So Wood Duck - you still dismissive of my points about Sando?

In case you were just focusing on Vince and how lazy he was - here are some key points where Sando was outcoached again tonight:

1. Kicking with the Breeze. Qtr 1/3 - Lyon was happy to put numbers back be defensive and ride out the fact we had the breeze. Sando did not make these loose men accountable by ensuring they were manned up. Also notice the style going forward when we had the breeze... We were attacking, but we tried to nurse the ball forward. Pin point passing which obviously didn't work too well.

2. Kicking against the breeze. Here is where we stupidly tried to kick long to a contest (especially in the 2nd quarter into driving rain). We did not put loose numbers behind the ball. I don't think we understood how to play in these conditions at all.

3. The Sub. Ross knew the game was going to be decided in the 3rd quarter. If Adelaide dominated and took a lead into 3/4 time then Freo wouldn't be able to come out and win. Freo make the sub just before half time realising how important that 3rd quarter will be. They replace a ruckman with a running player in a tactical move. Freo then go on to kick 2.1 to our 1 goal against the breeze at the start of the 3rd quarter before we replace a running player for a running player.... Have said it before and will say it again - Sando is way way way too conservative with our sub and it cost us today.

4. Dangerfield at full forward for most of the game (and having one touch in the premiership quarter). Not sure if this can be blamed on Sando or Danger - but if you offer any team in the league a deal of Danger getting 20 possesions and 2-3 goals they will take it. Yes he kicks some very good goals up forward and no I have no problem with him resting up forward. The fact remains that he wins games from the midfield not full forward. He has over 25 touches in only 3 of the 10 games this year (the only 3 games he wasnt tagged against Hawks/GWS/North). We need to get him dominating in the middle again.

The more I look at it, the more I think Sando is generous giving himself a C for matchday coaching.

I don't get the finals-choker thing against Lyon.

His main problem was youth development at the Saints, which has been mysteriously rectified at Freo.

Bottom six of 2009-10 GF Saints side was appalling, whereas Geelong and Collingwood had fantastic depth for the most part. That's where it was was and lost. Besides Geelong 09 were immense.

We already had a defensive coach with Neil Craig. I think I would have lost it if they had poached Lyon to replace him. Also I rate the Geelong pedigree higher than St Kilda.

LOOSE MAN!

If Ross Lyon had his birthday today his one wish would've been 'please let Adelaide do nothing about my loose man I want to have behind the ball'. Thanks very much Brenton.

I can't believe we would allow them to do what they want to do.

That is the only difference today. In the 2nd and third quarters we just allowed their loose to sit off of Jenkins. God knows what our loose is doing.

I give Sando credit though, in general he does make moves when things arent working. The amount of come from behind wins he has had in 18 months far outstrips what Craig was able to do in 7 years.

We already had a defensive coach with Neil Craig. I think I would have lost it if they had poached Lyon to replace him. Also I rate the Geelong pedigree higher than St Kilda.

You can have a crack at Craigy for many things, but this isn't one of them...

Have a look back at the 2006 / 2009 seasons to be proven completely wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sando is either a freaking genius or mad as a hatter!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back