SC Midfielders Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 2011 SC Midfielders Discussion Thread

Would like to hear opinions, on these 3 players: Chris Masten, Colin Sylvia, And Jared Brennan. From what i've heard Masten has had a big preseason and is due for a big season considering he was a top draft pick a few years back. Sylvia only played about 15 games last season but played really good in a few, and i reckon hes going to be one of the more dominant players for melbourne this year. And Brennan, ive heard hes had a big preseason also, but im a bit iffy about him.... Thoughts???

Masten: You'd have to be bloody certain he'll have a good year to pick him. Awkwardly priced for a guy that hasn't shown much. At that price you'd want him to lift his average by 20 points at least to be worth it, otherwise you could just pick a rookie priced player for 140k less and get similar benefits. His kicking ability is a worry, will usually need a high possession total to score well.

Sylvia: I've been thinking about him a lot, Melbourne need him to have a big year and if he does will surely step into that premium bracket of 95+. He's had this sort of promise for years now though so it makes you wonder if this will be the year or if it will be just another average year for him. At his price though you can't really do wrong, watch closely in the NAB. Scoring when he's tagged is a problem.

Brennan: I'd never have him. At his price you'd want him to be a 90-95+ scoring player, just don't see him being that. Far too inconsistent. With a new team though this could change. Watch his NAB.

I have about 50k still in the bank what would you consider a better option then brennan is that price range?

i've heard Masten has had a big preseason and is due for a big season

That's what everyone said last year when he was meant to be tearing it up on the track. So I got him and he was a dud, his poor disposal lets him down big time, keep clear.

Tom Scully - running machine that could benefit from the sub rule, but will he suffer the 2nd year blues? Training well by all reports.

I think Scully is a High Risk pick with his price, but could certainly pay off. Bigtime. Betting man?

I was looking at Houli? He seemed to do alright when he was given that free running role at Essendon for 2 games. lol

Worth a look?

He also broke his leg in the middle of last season - I know nothing of his progress at the moment but unless he is in the team for Round 1, I wouldn't be considering him in your starting side.
Hopefully an ideal downgrade!

Just on Sylvia again. I think his only problem is that he can't seem to stay on the park, i saw somewhere that he hasn't ever played more than 18 games in a season. Is there any chance that this year might be different?

Gaff or Conca? Also what do people think about D. Swallow, is he worth to have in your starting midfield?

Gaff or Conca? Also what do people think about D. Swallow, is he worth to have in your starting midfield?

I've got both Gaff and Swallow in my midfield, both guaranteed plenty of game time and very promising. Choosing them allows you to free up some cash to buy some stars.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gaff or Bennell? What are peoples thoughts??

Gaff or Bennell? What are peoples thoughts??
So many people on here have teams with Gaff, Polec, Conca, Atley, Jacobs, Wallis etc....
Is the assumption that all these players are going to play 20+ games for the season?
Teams with stacks of starting midfield rookies (4+) will struggle if these 1st round draft picks don't get a constant run...

So many people on here have teams with Gaff, Polec, Conca, Atley, Jacobs, Wallis etc....
Is the assumption that all these players are going to play 20+ games for the season?
Teams with stacks of starting midfield rookies (4+) will struggle if these 1st round draft picks don't get a constant run...

I am mainly focusing on rookies from GC as i feel most have a very good chance of getting games. Having said that i only have 2 starting rookie midfielders (Swallow) and either Gaff or Bennell. I dont know much about Gaff though...

I think Scully is a High Risk pick with his price, but could certainly pay off. Bigtime. Betting man?

I was looking at Houli? He seemed to do alright when he was given that free running role at Essendon for 2 games. lol

Worth a look?

I've got Scully in DT but not SC because I think his disposal lets him down and will in turn hinder his SC out put.

He'll improve no doubt but I think he's a bit like Boyd and more suited to DT.

Houli is doing very well at training, I'm not sure how much "free run" he'll get but we recruited him because Hardwick wants more goal kicking mids so expect him to play on the wing or half forward.

I think he'll score well averaging 80-95 but I think he's a little awkward in price and there are better options IMO who are cheaper.

Still he's on my watch list and his form in the NAB may change my mind.

Sylvia is definately worth a shot. I dont see much downside with him - he's primed for a big year from all reports - could break out into elite, or at worst he will deliver on his value. Injuries last year were impact, not wear and tear. He's in my team.

Scully is higher risk but the reward could also be higher. He will be the Gary Ablett of supercoach one day - I just dont have the courage to predict it will be in his second year. I havnt picked him.

Houli is doing very well at training, I'm not sure how much "free run" he'll get but we recruited him because Hardwick wants more goal kicking mids so expect him to play on the wing or half forward.

I think he'll score well averaging 80-95 but I think he's a little awkward in price and there are better options IMO who are cheaper.

Still he's on my watch list and his form in the NAB may change my mind.

That's the key Toad, but I also think that we need to bear in mind that with Richmond this season we've got a lot more competition for midfield, HFF and running defender points than in past years.

If Cotchin, Martin, Morton, Edwards, Foley, Connors, Grigg and Houli are all pretty much expected to improve their averages from last year, while Deledio, Newman, Tuck, Reiwoldt and Jackson are expected to resume their usual $400-$550K average, then we've got 13 players who many people seem to expect can average in the $450-$550K range. We'd have to be a top-6 side minimum and win a lot of games to get more than 8-10 players at most into that price range), so realistically, 4-5 players in the list above aren't going to get the numbers we might be expecting at face value.

It's a real risk and reward situation, there's some good quality <$400K lining up for us this year, but also a big increase in competition for points.

Having issues with my last place on my midfeild bench, i have 131,300 in the bank to spend. I'm looking at Savage, Curnow or Wallis...already have 4 hawks in my side (Pupuolo, I. Smith, Bailey and Buddy) so i don't really wanna pick up Savage but he's now got a couple of seasons under his belt and could do well...Curnow won box hills best and fairest and could have a Barlow type year at the Blues...or Wallis who will be a better footballer than both in the future but will he play or have the body to hold his own agaist the big boys.

Any other suggestions would be awesome.

Cheers

PS I already have Mzungu as a forward...
Nick Lower

Did something happen to Chance Bateman because no one here seems to have him and he is fairly cheap at $285,100

Cotchin to step up?

He is definitely on my radar. I have 4 premiums in my midfield at the moment being Swan, Boyd, Montagna and Bartel and the thought has crossed my mind of downgrading Boyd or Bartel to a player like Cotchin to use the cash elsewhere.

Not sure if he can manage the same avg's Boyd and Bartel get, but if he can push up to 90+ or so....

I think he has the potential to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back