Strategy Season Expectations

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s pretty damn obvious

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Can't believe I'm saying this but I think Marty is on the right track in some ways

Even close to full strength with 2-3 injuries I think Melb and WC would have overtaken us , I'd have us 4th

Now trading multiple picks to get Lukoscious would be silly , not beciaee he's not worth it but just because getting him isn't going to go close to strengthening our list to what we need

Can't believe I'm saying this but I think Marty is on the right track in some ways

Even close to full strength with 2-3 injuries I think Melb and WC would have overtaken us , I'd have us 4th

Now trading multiple picks to get Lukoscious would be silly , not beciaee he's not worth it but just because getting him isn't going to go close to strengthening our list to what we need

i could see Wce finishing higher than us even at close to full strength. Melbourne still let to convince me and it will probably take until the finals because there were so bad for so long i am unwilling to believe until i see it in the finals just like Richmond last year.

At this time the Crows look like Gaining 3 Top Players and 1 good player either before the Bye or straight After the Bye,
Barring setbacks, and this year anything is possible,
Sloane and Walker look set for the Hawks games. or West Coast Game.
We will be hearing more about them joining the main Team for Training next week,
Brodie Smith and Knight Look set for a return after the Bye.
And Gov ready to go 2 weeks later.
We currently sit on 6 wins.
It is Possible that we can win 8-9 games after the bye with close to a full-strength side.
5 Home Games West Coast, Geelong, Melbourne, Port and North. Away games against Richmond, Brisbane, GWS and Carlton

Way to early to Expect anything other than we will Play Finals. and if we win the next 2 then I still expect a top 4 finish.

At this time the Crows look like Gaining 3 Top Players and 1 good player either before the Bye or straight After the Bye,
We will be hearing more about them joining the main Team for Training next week,
It is Possible that we can win 8-9 games after the bye with close to a full-strength side.
5 Home Games West Coast, Geelong, Melbourne, Port and North. Away games against Richmond, Brisbane, GWS and Carlton

Way to early to Expect anything other than we will Play Finals. and if we win the next 2 then I still expect a top 4 finish.

Brodie Smith won't play again this year

When my son did his knee, he has the same surgeon that did Walker's knee.

He gave my son the spiel about how if he did his rehab work etc that he "could be back in 9 months", then at the 9 month mark he admitted that most doctors won't take the risk and will only clear the surgery at the 12 month mark and the 9 month timeline is usually given as a motivation tool so that people work hard on their rehab work.

Apparently between 9-12 months there's still an increased risk of re-injuring it so I would guess that most orthopedic surgeons won't risk their reputation by clearing players during that period.

I think it's more than likely that we won't be risking Smith this year if we don't make the finals.

Smith is playing when? The game first game after the bye? The 4th game? Even when he does come back he’s playing at least 2 SANFL games.

You know we are 2 games plus percentage from 4th?

If we don’t win until the Lions game (possible at this rate).. we could soon be 12-13th. Puts us in the Pick 6-7 range.
Let’s play PlayStation to help us feel better!

Pick 7. Rankine
Let Sloane go. Pick 8. Hately
Melbourne’s first + Pick 20 for Pick 10. Bailey smith.
Lynch. Pick 19. Rozee
Jenkins for Pick 21. Lewis.
CEY for Pick 39. Munn.
Kelly. Pick 38. Francis.
Pick 37. Lycett.
2019 first. Fantasia.

In: Rankine, Hately, Smith, Rozee, Lewis, Munn, Francis, Lycett, Fantasia
Out: Sloane, Jenkins, Kelly, Mackay, Gibson, Dear, Cheney, Otten, Lynch

On current form 4/5 best 22 out.
2 best 22 in and a tonne of A grade talent.
Bring back Lukosius in 2020. Grundy the year after.
Fixed!
Grundy May be very gettable this year...

We all know how keen Collingwood are on Suns Tom lynch, so if lynch decides that he wants to go there then Collingwood will be forced into a trade to get him because the suns have the cash to match any offer and they’ll definately want to match.

So Collingwood are gonna need atleast two 1st round picks to get him off the suns and the suns are probably going to demand those picks are in this year’s draft which they know is talent packed rather than next year’s when Collingwood will probably be way up the top end of the ladder too.

Which club this year has a couple of first round picks already?.. the crows.. so maybe Collingwood offer up Grundy to get a first rounder and maybe more from the crows figuring that Grundy may go home to SA at some stage in the near future anyways.. they give that pick and their own first round pick to the suns for tom lynch.. then they put Cox, the bloke that’s taller than bloody anyone in the comp, in as their main ruck..

With gaff, McGovern, Sloane, the two tom lynch’s and a few others all possibly up for grabs.... You get the feeling there’s gonna be a hell of a lot of horse trading in this year’s trade week.. I can’t wait, it is gonna be fun to observe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grundy May be very gettable this year...

We all know how keen Collingwood are on Suns Tom lynch, so if lynch decides that he wants to go there then Collingwood will be forced into a trade to get him because the suns have the cash to match any offer and they’ll definately want to match.

So Collingwood are gonna need atleast two 1st round picks to get him off the suns and the suns are probably going to demand those picks are in this year’s draft which they know is talent packed rather than next year’s when Collingwood will probably be way up the top end of the ladder too.

Which club this year has a couple of first round picks already?.. the crows.. so maybe Collingwood offer up Grundy to get a first rounder and maybe more from the crows figuring that Grundy may go home to SA at some stage in the near future anyways.. they give that pick and their own first round pick to the suns for tom lynch.. then they put Cox, the bloke that’s taller than bloody anyone in the comp, in as their main ruck..

With gaff, McGovern, Sloane, the two tom lynch’s and a few others all possibly up for grabs.... You get the feeling there’s gonna be a hell of a lot of horse trading in this year’s trade week.. I can’t wait, it is gonna be fun to observe.
No chance he leaves Collingwood. Why would he?

As far as trade period being exciting ... how short is your memory !!! It's always a boring snooze fest, where a few players of little note are moved about and a couple of big names make well orchestrated and pre-planned moves.

i could see Wce finishing higher than us even at close to full strength. Melbourne still let to convince me and it will probably take until the finals because there were so bad for so long i am unwilling to believe until i see it in the finals just like Richmond last year.

Yeah, I’m not sold on Melbourne yet either.. they are gonna play finals there’s no doubt of that because their draw is just so soft... but look at who they’ve beaten and who they’ve lost to this year;

Lost to the cats by 3
Beat the lions by 26
Beat north by 37
Flogged by hawks by 67
Flogged by tigers by 46
Beat Essendon by 36
Beat the saints by 39
Flogged the suns by 69
Flogged Carlton by 109
Flogged an injury ravaged crows by 91
Flogged the dogs by 49

So they lost to cats, hawks, tigers

And they’ve won against an injury ravaged crows and 5 hopeless sides that are wallowing in the bottom 6 or so in the suns, bombers, saints, Carlton and the dogs..

Their best win would (against a side in the top 8 currently) is probably the win against north.. the only other real top 4-6 competition they’ve come up against is the crows and tigers.. the crows are fielding half their sanfl side and the tigers flogged them..

It’s hardly convincing and everyone in the media is tossing over them because they have won 6 in a row but have a look at the teams they played in those last 6... all bottom sides and the crows.

Like I said, their draw is soft so they will make the finals... but they need to beat some of the other contenders (Swans, pies, tigers, WC) before I’m convinced they will go alright in the finals..

As far as trade period being exciting ... how short is your memory !!! It's always a boring snooze fest, where a few players of little note are moved about and a couple of big names make well orchestrated and pre-planned moves.
Meh, each to their own I guess.. I enjoyed even last year’s trade week.. this year’s gonna be better imo.

And Grundy... who knows... maybe he wants to stay a pie... maybe he wants to come home. None of us know what he’s thinking.

I think our only chance with Grundy is when he's a free agent.

At this point he's signed until the end of 2020, but we have two problems with this time line

1. Sauce is cooked and cannot carry us for two more years.

2. Given Ryder is the same age as Sauce, Port will be just as interested in Grundy so he is going to cost a packet.

As much as I would love to grab Grundy in a couple of years, I don't think the club can't afford to wait until then.

Grundy isn’t coming back.

We carry mutual friends. He’s beyond happy with his current setup by all accounts. Pie for life.

Perhaps those people who claimed we ‘did well’ considering our draft sanctions could look at how those poor decisions (that of course were to be clarified in due course but never were) continue to bear fruit.

Brodie Grundy would absolutely have been in the mix at our pick. Mismanagement, nepotism and shooting ourselves in the feet at every. single. turn. Will continue to be our downfall.

Our club now more than ever needs a full and comprehensive external review which starts at the board level and flows down.

Brodie Smith won't play again this year

When my son did his knee, he has the same surgeon that did Walker's knee.

He gave my son the spiel about how if he did his rehab work etc that he "could be back in 9 months", then at the 9 month mark he admitted that most doctors won't take the risk and will only clear the surgery at the 12 month mark and the 9 month timeline is usually given as a motivation tool so that people work hard on their rehab work.

Apparently between 9-12 months there's still an increased risk of re-injuring it so I would guess that most orthopedic surgeons won't risk their reputation by clearing players during that period.

I think it's more than likely that we won't be risking Smith this year if we don't make the finals.

Wait and See, Word I am hearing is he will be starting some serious training soon. and will be spending more time with the main Group.
He will be Playing this Year. sooner than a lot think,

Smith is playing when? The game first game after the bye? The 4th game? Even when he does come back he’s playing at least 2 SANFL games.

You know we are 2 games plus percentage from 4th?

After the Bye will see a ramp up in his training, depending on where his match fitness is will depend on when he plays AFL. But I have heard he could be available for SANFL in about 4 weeks.

And yes I have looked at the ladder. I have also looked at the other teams draws. as well, We have a good run home, and a top 4 is within reach if we want it bad enough. If not we still have the ability of going into the final in good form and with a fit team

Nah, we are on the decline. Sauce is now becoming a average ruckman, and ROB is no replacement. Even Bicks on AA said he is a 5 to 6 possession player who if he doesnt put it down the throat of the mids offers nothing else. He is no forward option. The influence of quality ruckmen is back in vogue.
Eddie is on the decline and next year will be worse than this one.
Douglas, Gibbs, JJ etc are aging into their 30s.
Sloane wont be here next year, and theres a chance Lynch wont be.
I just dont have your rose coloured glasses im afraid.
Thats why I wouldnt have paid what we did for Gibbs, and I would have got Francis in last year.
Gibson was just a stupid trade to boot.

Fair points generally but Francis is a potato.
And we literally gave up nothing for Gibson.

And yes I have looked at the ladder. I have also looked at the other teams draws. as well, We have a good run home, and a top 4 is within reach if we want it bad enough. If not we still have the ability of going into the final in good form and with a fit team

We have a good run home ?

Are you serious ?

We would have to have close to the hardest run home in the AFL

Freo (A)
Hawthorn (A)
WCE (H)
Richmond (A)
Geelong (H)
Brisbane (A)
Melbourne (H)
Port (H)
GWS (A)
North (H)
Carlton (A)

If we're lucky we'll win 1 game out of our next four (Freo)

Next four games include a win against Brisbane and 3 50/50 games (I will give us 2/4 maybe 3/4 at the most) if everyone is fit.

GWS away will be a loss, North will be tough but if we have a fit side it's definitely winnable and Carlton will be a win (2/3)

At best I think there's only 5-6 wins there which won't even get us into the finals, to even suggest top 4 is beggars belief.

Wait and See, Word I am hearing is he will be starting some serious training soon. and will be spending more time with the main Group.
He will be Playing this Year. sooner than a lot think,

After the Bye will see a ramp up in his training, depending on where his match fitness is will depend on when he plays AFL. But I have heard he could be available for SANFL in about 4 weeks.

So Smith is realistically 2 months away, why sugarcoat it?

We have a good run home? Are you on drugs? It’s been rated the second hardest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Season Expectations

Remove this Banner Ad

Back