Preview Semi-Final: Hawthorn v Adelaide Crows, MCG, 18 September 2015 @ 7.50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the 2 games he played at the end of the season he averaged 14 possessions, 5 marks, 1.5 goals and the potential to do much more especially if he gets to run into Gunner's spots. The agro he plays with would be a good addition too.

I think Shoe playing 'much' better is hyperbole, and there was a reason he was in the 2's to finish the season

I'm not going to lie, your signature bought out the stirrer in me ;):p
I had already taken a look to see how they compared when I read your post - the stats surprised me.
Shoe is though a sublime kick - I would be surprised if he is not playing somewhere else next year and goes on to be a good solid contributor

Anyone see Jeff on game day? I friggin love the bloke, we wouldn't have the club we have now without him and Victoria wouldn't have sports exposure we do today without him.. A lot of people give plenty of shit to Jeff but all these people enjoy the Australian open, Grand Prix and spring carnival.. I know the debt Victoria went into because of those events but it all levels out, we dead set live in the best state in Australia.

Anyway, he was funny when asking who he thinks wins the flag and he wouldn't buckle saying Hawthorn couldn't win it.. What a legend, can't help to think Clarko took a bit away from old Jeffro despite their differences.
Loved his take on depression explained it very we'll, I live jeff he's great maybe a bit crazy but he was great for this club... Wish he was still round the club in his former capacity ... He said hawks didn't know buddy had epilepsy...

Interesting quirk/fact/stat don't know what to call it.

In 1992 we played the Eagles in Perth and lost. Eagles went on to win the Premiership. The following year we played the Crows in Melbourne and lost. The Crows ended up getting knocked out in the Prelim.

In the first week we've played the Eagles in Perth and lost. If the Crows beat us at home the next week, I'm tipping them to go no further then the Prelim and the Eagles will win the Premiership.

Just thought it was interesting how we are essentially playing these two teams again in a final at the same places in the same order and potentially the same outcomes. *cue twilight zone music*

So many of our senior players have been down all year. Im actually surprised when we "turn one on" (freo and syd) then when we rock up thinking we're millionaires and fumble and shank kicks all over the park. This smells a lot to me similar to Geelongs decline.

We are now playing a 4 week campaign with two trips to Perth

To win the flag I feel we need to rest a player or two for this game and get ready for a full tilt in Perthin week 3 (if we get over the line)

That's not to say we are morals this week, but we won't win the flag by playing all our old stages in 4 successive weeks of finals
I agree the crows will give us a real contest and that the same 22 won't get through 4 weeks

So this is the week to give a player or two a rest if they need it

The most obvious one is David Hale - won't get through 4 weeks. Ceglar needs to play this week

gunston & smith won't play this week, and both may be out for the year. Billy & Sicily/shoey to come in

In terms of giving a player a week off - this isn't the week for lake or frawley as they have got good match ups with the crows

Lewis and burger both look like they could use a week off. I'd like to see one of them rested with probably Howe to come in as the sub

The other option is birchall for litherland

Yes it's a gamble, but we need to take some

Be interesting to see how Brisbane managed their list in 2003. All I can see is they made one change for the grand final

Now that we're playing Adelaide, I'm thinking Schoe for Gunston. Lake has a match up and Frawley can go back to take Walker who will roam a bit more. Duryea to start as Hodge back will be too slow for Adelaide's forward line. Hartung for Suckling is tempting.

I think Cyril playing a Betts role ala Geelong is in order. We lose out in the midfield but our forward line looked so dysfunctional. Sitting the ball on Cyril's head rarely goes wrong.

I agree the crows will give us a real contest and that the same 22 won't get through 4 weeks

The most obvious one is David Hale - won't get through 4 weeks. Ceglar needs to play this week

gunston & smith won't play this week, and both may be out for the year. Billy & Sicily/shoey to come in

In terms of giving a player a week off - this isn't the week for lake or frawley as they have got good match ups with the crows

Lewis and burger both look like they could use a week off. I'd like to see one of them rested with probably Howe to come in as the sub

Be interesting to see how Brisbane managed their list in 2003. All I can see is they made one change for the grand final

Okay...

For Adelaide...

Out - Hale, Gunston, Smith, Lewis (maybe?)
In - Ceglar, Schoenmakers (or Spangher), Hartung, Howe

For Fremantle...

Out - Ceglar, Lake, Hartung, Burgoyne (maybe?), Howe
In - Hale, Litherland, Smith, Lewis, Gunston / Sicily (?)

We can manage our loads and win the flag...

We just need to find a way to win the SF

Last edited:
So many of our senior players have been down all year. Im actually surprised when we "turn one on" (freo and syd) then when we rock up thinking we're millionaires and fumble and shank kicks all over the park. This smells a lot to me similar to Geelongs decline.

We are not a Geelong 2014

Our year resembled Geelong 2010 where we were top 2 for both attack and defence.

We can still win the flag but it will take some daring selection at the selection table of that I have no doubt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Cyril playing a Betts role ala Geelong is in order. We lose out in the midfield but our forward line looked so dysfunctional. Sitting the ball on Cyril's head rarely goes wrong.

Cyril looks to have been the sole target for the last few weeks. I'm no football expert but maybe actually having our forwards stay at home in the forward line for a change with pop, Breust and Cyril at their feet could be a good option rather than seeing gunners and ruff in defence - it's just a random thought of course

Cyril looks to have been the sole target for the last few weeks. I'm no football expert but maybe actually having our forwards stay at home in the forward line for a change with pop, Breust and Cyril at their feet could be a good option rather than seeing gunners and ruff in defence - it's just a random thought of course
As I Hawthorn supporter, I've always wanted to see the forwards lead.

Hawthorn has one of the better leading, marking forwards yet he rarely leads and if he does, it's deep to the pockets. Same thing happened to Buddy 2009-2013.

I'm a little confused by the concept that the Hawks haven't really rested players all year and people are now talking wholesale changes in what is an elimination final. Disrespect the crows at your own peril

I'm a little confused by the concept that the Hawks haven't really rested players all year and people are now talking wholesale changes in what is an elimination final. Disrespect the crows at your own peril

Its not about that. Its about balancing our list to give us the best chance to win the flag

If we get bundled out, so be it

Its not about that. Its about balancing our list to give us the best chance to win the flag

If we get bundled out, so be it

It's too late to be balancing a list now - it's September and there is no room for players who haven't played more than a handful of games between them to all come in at once. If these boys aren't up to it and they go out in straight sets, so be it, the time for wholesale changes is round 1 2016 and build from there.

Lots of calls that Smith will be out injured this week but I'm not sure why. Yeah he had a terrible game and shouldn't have played, but he got through and was still running at the end. Unless he's aggravated the injury surely he will be better with another week under the belt (since injury).
Should still bring Hartung in for even more run, but I don't see why Smith has to go out

Interesting fact: at the end of the weekend, there will be just 2/6 victorian teams in the finals

#datAFLvic-centricbiastho

The Hawks should get on the front foot and seek a priority draft pick

Burgoyne only played a half last week and if Lewis needed a break it should have been last week against Carlton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back