Mega Thread Senior Coach Discussion - Neeld v the alternatives

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was such a shame seeing the Melbourne supporters abusing there players off the ground. Stand up and support your club through good and bad times. No good will come from behaviour like that.

No coach can carry our shit list... don't blame the coach for being unable to shepherd a team that is worse than Casey. Our draft picks have been atrocious, especially all the wasted 1st round picks
Doesn't help when you tell players 'play through the corridor and you go to Casey'.

He's all talk.

Stand by your words, Neeld.

Some idiot on facebook just posted the following:

"Don't shoot the messenger but heard this from a friend on fb. It would explain a lot of things too

"apparently, supposedly, and heard from a very good source... the players have just pulled another protest game, just as they did against Geelong. they hate Neeld, and want him gone."

I say idiot, because I don't for one second believe it.

It's pretty clear the players don't want to play for him. Apart from the guys who have too much pride in themselves (and/or the club in general) to lower their colours you're not getting the effort they are capable of.

You just have to look as Essendon. When Knights lost the players it was immediately clear. On the field.

From an outside pov the thing that scared me most about Sunday was that God awful twitch Neeld had at the post match presser.

Noticed that a lot tonight. Oncoming embolism?

As members (like shareholders in a public company) we have a right to look for accountability and ownership of the problem. But at the moment where do you look? Easy to blame the coaches but the way some of the players go about their business on the field I honestly think a lot of them are scared that they will get hurt - none of them seem to look like they really give a st..f when they get beaten for the ball, except at the end of the game when everyone gives the obligatory 'face in the hands' after the siren. Then there are the coaches...could so many of them be so far off the mark? Hard to say, but if all the spruiking over the summer about great recruitment, training is so far out of step with reality on game day maybe our coaching staff need to completely review their plans (and themselves). So many questions but few answers. One thing is for sure though.....more of the same won't cut it. MFC has to do something different and Mark Neeld gave little indication at his press conference that anything is going to change. Great to say the group needs to stick together, but we need to see more. I watched the game on TV and that shot of the Melbourne supporter sitting in the stands half crying at the end of the game broke my heart.

Bmac overruled our Recruiter when he insisted on taking Clay Smith with our first pick in the 2011 draft : )

That's not exactly true. Macca wanted the best inside mid, Smith was it according to the recruiters. Crozier was the player the recruiters wanted which in the end is really the kind of the player we are missing.

That's not exactly true. Macca wanted the best inside mid, Smith was it according to the recruiters. Crozier was the player the recruiters wanted which in the end is really the kind of the player we are missing.

Macca believes that winning contests is the most important skill in footy bar none. You can take a guy who can win the footy and teach them to play a role better than you can take a guy who cane play a role and teach him to win contests.

Or so goes his thinking (I assume).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched the presser, And ticks aside, neeldy looked like he wanted to cry at stages. When he finally came out and said that we're relying on Nathan Jones and Jack Viney he kinda choked up and looked like like he gave away his hand. Pressure Presser for neeldy that's for sure.

While I don't disagree with getting rid of Bailey (I don't think he was capable of leading us to a flag), at this point he has far more runs on the board than Neeld. When Neeld took the reigns he soon started criticising our players publicly, which you simply don't do. Then after our first hiding or 2 he declared wholesale panic changes would be made. Then he started asking for time to change our game plan & have our players adjust to it etc. In 2011, which could fairly be called a tumultuous season, we destroyed Adelaide by close to 100 points and I went to the G to watch us school Richmond by applying some great pressure & constantly force turnovers. Since then, those sides have improved significantly and we've regressed. The fact is that under Neeld & Craig's tenure, few players have developed at all which leads me to discount blaming the old coach or drafting as THE reasons we're no good right now. Regardless of what you think of them, various senior players were frozen out & ultimately disposed of. Culling most senior players from the leadership group to me didn't seem like an objective move based on a consideration of the leadership qualities within in the squad. It reminded me of something I've seen in the corporate environment countless times - that is new leadership bringing in 'their people' and getting rid of the other guys 'people'. Problem is when you do that & people think you do that with those motivations, you 'lose' those people. I'm not sure what to make of the latest debacle but if you saw the pre-match address by Neeld, the players did absolutely none of what he asked. We don't know what goes on behind closed doors but from what I've seen publicly he very much seems a one dimensional character incapable of realising you reach different people (and motivate them) in different ways. He very much seems the angry drill sargaent type. If we lose to GWS, he needs to walk & one G Lyon should not be allowed anywhere near the team that is involved in making a the choice on who'll replace him. Lyon was quick to bury the knife into Bailey & save his buddy Schwab but I bet footy's answer to Pontius Pilate won't be owning up to what at this stage seems a serious howler in hiring Neeld.

Sacking Neeld is not going to fix our problems.. I really want to see him given the chance to try and work through this situation till at least half way thru the year.. if it hasn't changed by then and things haven't started to turn then he can F*** off but there is absolutely no benefit to remove him now..

Think of the shit that has happened since he has been here off the field.. no way more shit could have gone wrong and I'd rather see a few other people around the club on the chopping block first..

I watched Neeld's pre-game address and thought it was very uninspiring. I also think the players thought the same thing, most of them weren't looking him in the eye.

It seems pretty obvious to me that he has lost the players and it's time to go.

It was such a shame seeing the Melbourne supporters abusing there players off the ground. Stand up and support your club through good and bad times. No good will come from behaviour like that.
How can you blame them. If the coaches and the management showed that much passion. Then they probably wouldn't be in this situation.
Those people talking about bad recruiting are absolutely delusional. There's no such thing as bad recruiting. Bad management and bad coaching has crippled the players. Your players are playing with no heart. Theres no enthusiasm, no willingness. It all stems from bad management, bad coaching, bad leadership. The board and Neeld have to be held accountable. You have to stop the rot, and the quicker you do so the quicker your team will begin fixing the mistakes made by the current board and the coach.
They've made some huge mistakes and now you guys are suffering. Getting rid of all the natural leaders, appointing two kids as captains. The management decisions that Neeld made with the group after 4 years under Bailey are having direct consequences on the performance of the team.
Accountability! You can talk about it to the players as much as you want, but unless its acted upon, and that starts at the top and goes all the way to the bottom, nothing will change.
But there is always a solution. The board has to meet, Schwab has to go. Neeld has to be sacked. Neil Craig will be given interim control of the list. IMO he is such a wasted commodity in his position right now, and then you go hell for leather on the Kevin Sheedy / Mark Williams campaign. Get a coach into the side with as much management experience as possible.
I don't like to use them as an example, but just look as GWS, look how well drilled they are, look at how much passion they play with, every single time they play. Yeah they get beat, but from day 1, you can never question there passion. Thats the difference between, good management, good leadership and the bad.
I really feel for your supporters. Year after year afer year, you cop it. You guys deserve better! The question is, will the board have what it takes to make the tough calls?

As if the West Drug eagles were not booed by their moronic supporters in 2010. Again, any more dribble from you and it's holiday time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back