Mega Thread Senior Coach Discussion - Neeld v the alternatives

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to see the Demons and the problems you are having. But as a Saints fan who lost to Port in round one last year and went on to have a reasonable year and then to Suns in round one this year, you have to keep in mind that its round one.

We all want immediate results and the players showing the best of their abilities from the first bounce, but it does take time, especially if you are coming off a low base. Revisit this question of Neeld and his coaching ability and tenure at Melbourne after a larger proportion of the season has gone. Until then, good luck.

Did you see a lot of jogging? True question.
Pederson was jogging up until he squibbed. I guess he put in more effort after that because he knew he would be in some shit.

if you guys search for another coach i reckon you couldnt go past Garry Ayres, has a great CV is still coaching well and importantly would walk over hot coals for a return to afl ranks, hang in there

I think you are just making an assumption there. I've heard a few interviews with Ayres recently and he is very passionate about VFL and coaching Port Melbourne, he's very committed to the club and said he's never been happier. There was no mention of him being in any way interested in AFL footy.

From an outside pov the thing that scared me most about Sunday was that God awful twitch Neeld had at the post match presser.

Is that common? If not, I hope the club doctors had a look at him because that sort of thing can be a symptom of someone that's going to have a stroke.

I also think it was a telling sign that he basically left Grimes (??) at the table at the end. Maybe you can excuse it as a rookie mistake made under pressure but it wasn't a good look.

On a replacement if one was needed - People talking of Roos, Choco, Eade etc...

One name that wouldn't cost a king's ransom, who has relative success at AFL level, who can do alot with guys considered 'below average' and who has been dominating the VFL of recent years - Gary Ayres.

Grab him and Adam Simpson, maybe try to poach Leigh Tudor... Things would turn around by round 1, 2014.

That or go get Sheeds ;)

Good luck for the rest of the year guys. It looks like it's going to be ugly but all you can do is keep the faith, support the boys that put in (Viney, Grimes, Matt Jones (who doesnt seem to be getting much love after a really solid debut) N.Jones, Clark etc) and hope that it all turns around sooner rather than later.

I think you are just making an assumption there. I've heard a few interviews with Ayres recently and he is very passionate about VFL and coaching Port Melbourne, he's very committed to the club and said he's never been happier. There was no mention of him being in any way interested in AFL footy.

He was invited to the first round of interviews for the Saints but I seem to remember his issue being the autonomy of recruitment. He very much likes to have an input on the list management ala Ross Lyon.

From an outside pov the thing that scared me most about Sunday was that God awful twitch Neeld had at the post match presser.

Is that common? If not, I hope the club doctors had a look at him because that sort of thing can be a symptom of someone that's going to have a stroke.

I also think it was a telling sign that he basically left Grimes (??) at the table at the end. Maybe you can excuse it as a rookie mistake made under pressure but it wasn't a good look.

On a replacement if one was needed - People talking of Roos, Choco, Eade etc...

One name that wouldn't cost a king's ransom, who has relative success at AFL level, who can do alot with guys considered 'below average' and who has been dominating the VFL of recent years - Gary Ayres.

Grab him and Adam Simpson, maybe try to poach Leigh Tudor... Things would turn around by round 1, 2014.

That or go get Sheeds ;)

Good luck for the rest of the year guys. It looks like it's going to be ugly but all you can do is keep the faith, support the boys that put in (Viney, Grimes, Matt Jones (who doesnt seem to be getting much love after a really solid debut) N.Jones, Clark etc) and hope that it all turns around sooner rather than later.

The twitch is from some nerve damage he suffered during his playing days of AFL. He got injured and he suffered permanent damage to his optic nerve. I believe he's had surgery to reduce it but it's something he has to live with

The twitch is from some nerve damage he suffered during his playing days of AFL. He got injured and he suffered permanent damage to his optic nerve. I believe he's had surgery to reduce it but it's something he has to live with

Thanks for clearing that up. My old man had a mild stroke a few years back so I instantly thought the worst when I saw it.

As an Adelaide supporter, I (and others) see similarities with Adelaide's 2010 & '11 game plan.

Zoning off to cover grass......

Sideways ball movement, until there is a free man. (Problem is the game has moved on and only elite sides can play keepy-offies, and not as a game plan, but part of a transition. )

"Uncompromising" is a Neil Crag word.

Players "still learning" or "unable to execute" the game plan is Neil Craig line.

Neil Craig was unable to use his game plan to win a GF from 2004 to 2007 with a stack of elite players. 05 and 06 should have been GF years for us, but after our game plan was worked out and exposed, he was too Inflexible.

Neeld seems too hard lined with young players, some who need a little nurturing. His emotions seem to get the better of him, this cannot instill confidence in his players. ... Sure give the players a spray, but give them the tools to improve too. Neeld's approach along with Neil Craig's attitude towards performance will demoralize a group of players, who then will not or cannot perform at thier best.

Is it possible that Dean Bailey was sacked too early in a kneejerk reaction after the biggest loss I've ever seen and that Mark Neeld set you guys back a few years after seeing a good stretch of games from about round 6 2010-round 13 2011?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it possible that Dean Bailey was sacked too early in a kneejerk reaction after the biggest loss I've ever seen and that Mark Neeld set you guys back a few years after seeing a good stretch of games from about round 6 2010-round 13 2011?

I don't know whether Mark Neeld could be judged right now but Dean Bailey had is own fair share of problems.

I don't know whether Mark Neeld could be judged right now but Dean Bailey had is own fair share of problems.

I know Bails had his own problems which always started from round 1.

Basically a team whose season was over by round 1.

I know Bails had his own problems which always started from round 1.

Basically a team whose season was over by round 1.

More that he developed a bunch of overrated, overpaid, entitled, self-important athletes, with a 'play when we want' attitude who had far more power than they should have. The tail wagged the dog with Bailey. It doesn't seem that has been fixed but I have no problem with Bailey being sacked.

More that he developed a bunch of overrated, overpaid, entitled, self-important athletes, with a 'play when we want' attitude who had far more power than they should have. The tail wagged the dog with Bailey. It doesn't seem that has been fixed but I have no problem with Bailey being sacked.
If Neeld hasn't fixed that, and the results are worse...The conclusions are limited.

If Neeld hasn't fixed that, and the results are worse...The conclusions are limited.

Like I said, no, it hasn't been fixed. So far I'm not loving the Neeld appointment, but the failure of the current appointment hardly makes the problems with the previous appointment any better.

I usually don't understand the concept of firing a coach because a team is playing bad.

But now I do. Piss off Mark Neeld.

If the players don't care (and they're getting pretty good money not to care) maybe they need to be tested out. How about this for training this week. Bring in 10 of Victoria's best boxers - each player goes 1-2 rounds and the fighters are instructed to let rip (no mercy) and put a few of the players flat on their bums. You can't hide in the ring - let's see who gets up after being knocked down, who's got some heart. If they're not prepared to put themselves on the line on the MCG for the jumper, maybe personal preservation will sort some of them out.

Something has to be done to find out where we stand with these players. I want to know who is turning up to take the money (and then get rid of them), and who is genuine with a bit of grunt. As supporters if we have to keep going through what we've seen for the last 5-6 years I think we will all end up insane.

I was half serious with this post on Monday, but after tonight why not give it a try....

While you are beyond uncompetitive today id ask what can really be achieved by chopping and changing.

The road back is going to be a long one, instilling the discipline and work ethic to stick to structures and maintain work ethic can be hard and even if Neeld can do it you might come up short of every contending under him as a coach. But at least give him a real crack at it over the stretch of a few years.

As an Adelaide supporter, I (and others) see similarities with Adelaide's 2010 & '11 game plan.

Zoning off to cover grass......

Sideways ball movement, until there is a free man. (Problem is the game has moved on and only elite sides can play keepy-offies, and not as a game plan, but part of a transition. )

"Uncompromising" is a Neil Crag word.

Players "still learning" or "unable to execute" the game plan is Neil Craig line.

Neil Craig was unable to use his game plan to win a GF from 2004 to 2007 with a stack of elite players. 05 and 06 should have been GF years for us, but after our game plan was worked out and exposed, he was too Inflexible.

Neeld seems too hard lined with young players, some who need a little nurturing. His emotions seem to get the better of him, this cannot instill confidence in his players. ... Sure give the players a spray, but give them the tools to improve too. Neeld's approach along with Neil Craig's attitude towards performance will demoralize a group of players, who then will not or cannot perform at thier best.
IF you guys made it to the GF there was no way you would beat either of the Swans or Eagles midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back