Confirmed Shai Bolton, pick 14 & F3 (Rich) traded to Fremantle for picks 10, 11 & 18

Remove this Banner Ad

No he isnt.

Picks 10, 11 and 18 for Bolton , 14 and a future 3rd is a massive price.

Bolton is quality, done get me wrong. This could end up like the Jesse Hogan trade.
Imo, Longmuir knows its an important year for him & Bolton is very much a need for your team... & Richmond knew this & fleeced you significant overs. 10 & 18 was more than fair imo.

At least you didn't give up a top 3 pick for Baker as that was nuts.

No he isnt.

Bolton is quality, done get me wrong. This could end up like the Jesse Hogan trade.
You really, really remind me of me in 2016. Giving away all our draft capital for a bunch of B graders and a perennially injured midfielder after missing the finals. Expecting the same old again, and again, and again.

It seems impossible, until one day its not.

Hope Shai tears it up for you guys for years to come.

No he isnt.

Sure, it could go wrong but the situation is vastly different to Hogan trade.

Hogan was an absolute mess at the time both mentally and physically, we jumped out of desperation to acquire a key forward. We also weren't in a list position to sell the farm like that, we needed to target the draft, and we chased mature age talent trying to re-ignite the form of 2015 for years.

This time is completely different, we've spent years attacking the draft and we've built a list that doesn't have many holes in it. There comes a time when you no longer need to continue to draft and develop kids, especially in a mid heavy draft when you have great midfield depth. One hole we do have is x factor in our midfield and forward line, we've gone and bought an A grade talent who fits one of the last needs of our list.

Regardless of how this ends up, the clubs been patient with this build and has made the right decision to jump on a talent like Bolton to help us take the next step.

Imo, Longmuir knows its an important year for him & Bolton is very much a need for your team... & Richmond knew this & fleeced you significant overs. 10 & 18 was more than fair imo.

If 10 and 18 is more than fair, I'm not sure 11 for 14 and 37 pushes it to fleeced and significant overs. 37 won't move much if at all next year with bidding changes.

Looking at draft boards, 14 is the very end of that band 2 of players ss well so it's not the worst drop

If 10 and 18 is more than fair, I'm not sure 11 for 14 and 37 pushes it to fleeced and significant overs. 37 won't move much if at all next year with bidding changes.

Looking at draft boards, 14 is the very end of that band 2 of players ss well so it's not the worst drop
Plus while its complicated to work out we traded 2 seconds for the Port pick and we got a first and two seconds for Henry and Shultz. In trade capital by my estimates we are basically a 4 pick downgrade (our 10 going to 14) off trading Henry and Shultz for Bolton. WE may even get the player we would have picked at 10 at 14 if we get Berry.

I think the entire club knows it's an important year, we've been slowly building this list and accumulating assets while keeping cap flexibility for years to land a big fish like Bolton.

When you think about where the picks 10 and 11 end up after academy and farther son, the price feels pretty okay to me and like something that has benefitted both clubs.

Bolton at his best is one of the most damaging players in the comp and in discussions as a top 10 player in the comp. Could legitimately be the difference between us making a grand final next year and fizzling out like we did this year.

Bolton is a jet and I believe Freo will be top 4 next year. Just wondering if Richmond are paying some of his salary, as was forecast in the lead-up to the trade? There has been no mention of it as regards to him and Rioli.

Bolton is a jet and I believe Freo will be top 4 next year. Just wondering if Richmond are paying some of his salary, as was forecast in the lead-up to the trade? There has been no mention of it as regards to him and Rioli.
There were rumours of them paying 100-200k but I don't think I've seen anything official which suggests to me we have probably taken it all on.

We have added an extra year to the deal which will take his annual pay down from 1 - 1.1 million to between 800-900k a year.

Bolton will improve freos best 23.

Pick 3 traded can be good in the right scenario.

Eagles traded pick 3. But got Liam Baker, Owies who is a solid small forward , pick 12 and 72. If the eagles nail pick 12 and 72 with solid kids then it's not a horrible trade .

Last WA side to trade pick 3 was dockers in 2016. We handed that to GWS. Dockers got Cam McCarthy, pick 8 (Griffen Logue) , pick 32 (ended up Brennan cox) and pick 72 (Luke Ryan). That trade was ok.

But I have seen some other trades that were different.

Brisbane trading pick 20 for a few late picks for points.

Richmond won the trade period, they didnt go to the AFL and beg for picks.

This is something that North Melbourne should of done.

Trade a pick 20 or 22 for like pick 32, 40, 50 and 54. Trade 2 of those picks for players from other clubs and draft 2 kids.

Bolton will improve freos best 23.

Pick 3 traded can be good in the right scenario.

Eagles traded pick 3. But got Liam Baker, Owies who is a solid small forward , pick 12 and 72. If the eagles nail pick 12 and 72 with solid kids then it's not a horrible trade .

Last WA side to trade pick 3 was dockers in 2016. We handed that to GWS. Dockers got Cam McCarthy, pick 8 (Griffen Logue) , pick 32 (ended up Brennan cox) and pick 72 (Luke Ryan). That trade was ok.

But I have seen some other trades that were different.

Brisbane trading pick 20 for a few late picks for points.

Richmond won the trade period, they didnt go to the AFL and beg for picks.

This is something that North Melbourne should of done.

Trade a pick 20 or 22 for like pick 32, 40, 50 and 54. Trade 2 of those picks for players from other clubs and draft 2 kids.
We used pick 66 for Luke Ryan and didn't use pick 72.

But regardless I don't think you can use late home runs to highlight the value of a late pick in a trade. At the end of the day pick 72 was still a nothing picks for us, as it is for West Coast. The person picked there has been passed on by 71 other picks, picking up a star there is a bit of luck and some exceptional talent selection. It doesn't suddenly make pick 72 something that was more valuable than it was the day before the draft. Just means your scouts and list managers did a hell of a job identifying someone others didn't appreciate. Someone who you would've mean able to select with, or without pick 72 as most clubs are passing on picks by then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wondering if Richmond are paying some of his salary, as was forecast in the lead-up to the trade? There has been no mention of it as regards to him and Rioli.
There were rumours of them paying 100-200k but I don't think I've seen anything official which suggests to me we have probably taken it all on.

We have added an extra year to the deal which will take his annual pay down from 1 - 1.1 million to between 800-900k a year.
Ralphy said we weren't paying any of either players contracts. Think Twomey mentioned it too.
Put it in the book right now, this will go down as one of the trades done in the 2024 trade period.
No doubt. It certainly was a trade in 2024.

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed Shai Bolton, pick 14 & F3 (Rich) traded to Fremantle for picks 10, 11 & 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Back