News Shane McAdam traded to Melbourne for F2

Remove this Banner Ad

With Melbourne playing tonight, figured I'd see if he was playing and to little surprise, he's not. Only managed 3 of a possible 14 games, turns 30 next season, we still up in arms over not offering a 3 year deal?
Burgess got him to his fittest last year, did he regress so getting injury prone again......

I think it should be pretty clear to everyone by now that McAdam forcing a move last year was far and away the best of all possible options that could have happened.

Never going to be a difference maker to this squad, far too old to matter in our rebuild of our rebuild, where the pick is of greater value (if well used, which is another story), and how many games he did or didn't play for the Demons doesn't even come into it.

I think it should be pretty clear to everyone by now that McAdam forcing a move last year was far and away the best of all possible options that could have happened.

Never going to be a difference maker to this squad, far too old to matter in our rebuild of our rebuild, where the pick is of greater value (if well used, which is another story), and how many games he did or didn't play for the Demons doesn't even come into it.
Would've been a good 80's footballer; stand in the forward pocket, take speccys and look for cheap ball out the back. Not at all suited to the modern game with his highly conditional efforts. F2 for him is an excellent piece of business.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’re all underestimating his defensive work, his closing speed and pressure made our forward line work.

We have not replaced that and it shows
I think you're overestimating his impact on our forward line. We were the highest scoring team in the comp last year and McAdam only played 7 games. He was good for us when he was playing, but we managed just fine without him, too. The issue is more that he can barely get out on the park this year at Melbourne, and that's probably not a huge surprise to anybody considering it was always pretty fragile when he was with us. So it seems like we did what we do so rarely which is trade out a player at the peak of his value rather than keeping him around for the decline.

If his body is shot - which appears to be a possibility given his struggles at Melbourne this year after only managing 7 games for us last year - then we'd still be needing to find a replacement for him even if we'd kept him.

The big loss to our forward line this year is James Rahilly, not McAdam. Although I'd still have McAdam over Murphy this year, even if he can't walk.

Looked like he had been shot every time he had to endure strong physical contact. If he'd stayed and played this year he would have likely kept Cook out of the team which would have been a net loss. Given he can't get his body right, F2 wasn't that bad in retrospect.

If we were seriously contending or if he was five years younger it would of made more sense to keep him. He will be retired in a couple of seasons and would of taken a spot of a younger player. It was a good decision and we got something half decent for him.

Last edited:
I think you're overestimating his impact on our forward line. We were the highest scoring team in the comp last year and McAdam only played 7 games. He was good for us when he was playing, but we managed just fine without him, too. The issue is more that he can barely get out on the park this year at Melbourne, and that's probably not a huge surprise to anybody considering it was always pretty fragile when he was with us. So it seems like we did what we do so rarely which is trade out a player at the peak of his value rather than keeping him around for the decline.

If his body is shot - which appears to be a possibility given his struggles at Melbourne this year after only managing 7 games for us last year - then we'd still be needing to find a replacement for him even if we'd kept him.

He replaced McGovern in the same role, both of whom were essential defensively to locking the ball in and giving structure

That’s more than 7 games

The big loss to our forward line this year is James Rahilly, not McAdam. Although I'd still have McAdam over Murphy this year, even if he can't walk.

that’s guesswork at best.

We tried to keep him, even upping our offer trying to change his mind

What was it do you think that we saw?

It's the classic "They were never that good anyway" mentality after someone leaves the club.

There's still pockets of nuff that think losing Stengle was a net positive because he liked a nose beer.

It's the classic "They were never that good anyway" mentality after someone leaves the club.

There's still pockets of nuff that think losing Stengle was a net positive because he liked a nose beer.

Absolutely

losing Stengle was a mistake, I’d be a lot more comfortable with acknowledging that. It’s ok to say we made a decision and it didn’t go our way. It happens

We stole him from Richmond, they probably should’ve tried to keep him

What I can’t get my head around is the “he needed a shock to change his ways” brigade

We have absolutely no basis, no reason to believe he has changed or even needed to.

We got our knickers in a knot, that’s on us and we’re worse off because of it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back