Shannon Neale - underrated season.

Remove this Banner Ad

I am calling him the next N Riewoldt who can kick
Riewoldt got over his early yips to become a reliable kick (718.455 in his career).

I still think Riewoldt is the best tall forward we've seen since Carey. Doesn't get the respect he deserves because he played for StKilda.

Kicked a goal in every game he played in this year, makes a contest in the air every time. He also runs out games really well. Can't ask for much more at his age.
Yeah at this stage of their careers, the only thing Hawk had over him was a couple of really dominant games.

Neale is unlikely to be as good as Hawk, simply cos Hawk is an all time great. But a KPF that can take a grab, is a good kick and can compete in the air and ground: there's not that many of going around .

He's been ok, which for a young CHF in his first full year in the AFL team, is an impressive pass mark. He's doing the 1%ers well, too.

One thing to note about Neale is that he has started a long, long way back compared to most tall forwards. He was drafted at p33, when most tall forwards with any skerrick of AFL quality go in the first 15, and he was drafted as a ruckman.

I don't think it'll "click" for him for another two years, but right now he's doing a job and deserves his spot.

It didn't "click" for Cam Mooney till 2002, and even then he still struggled for next 18 months. It famously didn't "click" for Hawkins until 2011, and Podsiadly didn't even make an AFL debut till 28. Unless you're a freak like Darcy, Cameron or Riewoldt, the big forwards take time.

I think people should keep this in mind if he happens to have a quiet one in the next game or two.

The blue chip version in JUH is getting dragged for a quiet one in a team that was smashed in the middle. It happens.

Inauspicious start to the seniors, didn't take his chances and seemed unreliable. As the season has wore on, is becoming more assured. Still not certain he feels he fully belongs, but once he does, will become more confident, leading to becoming a freer player and will start bringing a lot more tricks out of his party bag
Did he seem unreliable?

He seemed like a young key position player finding his way, but his output has consistently built through the year.

He is actually very reliable - his floor performance is consistent and steadily increasing. His game is built on contest, link play, running ability and contested marking. It allows for a far more consistent level of performance than one who stays within 35 metres of goal and needs to kick 3 goals to have an impact.

One thing I really like about Neale is how he nearly always impacts a game in the early stages.

He often takes a couple of contested link marks early, or gets an early goal which then means that the opposition has to respect him and frees up others in our forward line.

The game against port was a classic example. He took a couple of marks within the first 5 minutes, then his opponent had to stay close to him and be accountable, which meant that Allir had to play one out on Cameron, which meant that Allir was negated as an intercept player. The flow on effect of Neale being competent totally changes the rest of our forward line.

It is why there is no way Hawk can come back in, his output pre injury was such that his opponent was able to play off him, help whoever was playing on Cameron and rebound out of defence.

Seems to be teasing a big breakout game a lot this year. With lots of 1 and 2 goal games.
Just needs to get that done and the confidence could be there forever from then on.

Won't take much of a lift to start reaching the echelon of very good tall forwards. Another goal a game and he'd be on track for 50+ for a full season.

Hopefully with another pre-season this is what we're building towards in 2025.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems to be teasing a big breakout game a lot this year. With lots of 1 and 2 goal games.
Just needs to get that done and the confidence could be there forever from then on.

Won't take much of a lift to start reaching the echelon of very good tall forwards. Another goal a game and he'd be on track for 50+ for a full season.

I don’t see him being a 50 goal a season player. He does too much of his work up the ground to get to that level. If he gets to 50 goals a season playing that style of game he would be an absolute elite level player. One can dream I guess.

If you put it into perspective, Harry McKay is lauded by all and sundry. A star of the game who commands his own price and just gave his side 9 touches, 5 marks, 3 goals & 4 score involvements.

Neale equaled that output in his first ever final. He is tracking along superbly well.

I agree and got this one wrong. I though he was only good when the ball was speared onto his chest as that's all he could really do at VFL level. Some players play better as they move up I guess.

Compare his stat averages vs Josh Treacy and he is developing well. Won't be a star but will be an important part of the forwardline for a long time.
He was like that at afl level too until half way through this season. Something has clicked and he now starts attacking marking contests with intent and using his big frame.

I was nervous about him going into the final because he's had a habit of spilling easy marks which have killed our momentum a few times this year. But he was as clean as you'll see and it was probably his best game.

His athleticism, ground level work and disposal are elite so there's a lot to work with. The big question mark has always been his competitiveness when out of position but that's improved significantly in the second half of the year. At the very least he looks a guy who can play a role and give the forward line a solid structure which is really important.

Saving his big breakout game for a 5 goal Grand Final winning performance in 2 games time!!

I don’t see him being a 50 goal a season player. He does too much of his work up the ground to get to that level. If he gets to 50 goals a season playing that style of game he would be an absolute elite level player. One can dream I guess.

He's averaged 1.6 goals per game across this season, and he's had more 2 goal games than single goal games

To get to 50 goals season, he just needs to convert those single goal games to 2 goal games and then pop up with the odd 3 goal game - he's shown an ability to get into the right positions, so with confidence & experience, no reason he can't push towards 50 goal seasons

Remove this Banner Ad

Shannon Neale - underrated season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back