Opinion Should players who miss out on a flag deserve a premiership medal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 7, 2009
Bull Creek WA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Real Madrid, Man City, GS Warriors
Do you think it’s a good idea for players who don’t play in a grand final to be awarded premiership medals?

In 2018 Nic Naitanui, Andrew Gaff and Brad Sheppard all missed out on premiership medals, 2 years before Bob Murphy missed out on his too. 2010 saw Presti miss out.

This year they’ll be a hard luck story of Shaun Higgins (should Geelong win) and Josh P. Kennedy plus Sam Reid (If he misses) should Sydney win this weekend.

The NBA, NFL, MLB and NHL all see everyone get a ring from the winning team regardless they play or not.

Last edited:
It's a premiership medal for the 22 on game day

Minor premiership sure thing give it to all, plus coaches trainers etc

Unfortunately no - we all know players who've missed Grand Finals through injury or suspension or simply not good enough.

There is nothing more hollow than the line "Mate - you helped get us there, you are part of it" when you know you aren't.

The reason premiership medals are so revered are that they are bloody hard to get - a lot has to go right.

Yes

it may be about one game on one day but it takes a whole season to get there. without the achievements during the season, there is no opportunity to deliver on the big day
This. If geelong win, it will be in no small part to those who stepped up when players were rested or injured. Those players who helped the team get to the grand final are every bit as vital as those who play on the day

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When I was young I thought it was ludicrous.

And honestly nothing I have seen in years and decades since has changed my mind in the slightest.

It’s completely ridiculous.

I’ve seen some leagues at some levels have been smart and changed it.

You win a premiership in a season, not a game.

As if giving them to all players lessens it at all.

No. The players that did it on the day deserve something extra, and the medal is what that is. The rest can say they played in a premiership year, but they'll have never have played in the premiership game.

We don’t have a premiership game. That’s not a footy term and never has been.

We have a premiership season.

It’s not a Grand Final Winners Medal. It’s a Premiership Medal.

As for “deserves”… I don’t know on what mental system of values Cam Mooney (1999) “deserves” recognition for a premiership but Tony Modra (1997) doesn’t.

We don’t have a premiership game. That’s not a footy term and never has been.

We have a premiership season.

It’s not a Grand Final Winners Medal. It’s a Premiership Medal.

As for “deserves”… I don’t know on what mental system of values Cam Mooney (1999) “deserves” recognition for a premiership but Tony Modra (1997) doesn’t.
Amen

So Hawkins gets the same medal as a kid who plays 2 games and is delisted end of season? Not for mine.
Yes they all contributed to the end goal, you can make the individual judgments that you choose to on the other parts of importance and best players in that season, if he is the best player he will get a best and fairest medal as well.

It's a no-brainer. At the very least there should be a compromise between those who think 'played on the day only' and those who think 'it takes a season to win a flag' and perhaps suggest that anyone who played during the finals series should get a medal.

Just seems too harsh otherwise.

I think it should be up to individual clubs to work out what players outside the 22 on Game Day deserve a premiership medal, because a lot outright do

Or maybe something like a legacy medal - Nathan Jones case in point deserved one as much as any Demon did really

idk

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Should players who miss out on a flag deserve a premiership medal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back