Opinion Should players who miss out on a flag deserve a premiership medal?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you should have a Premiership medal for the 22 on the day, and a Champions medal for players who contributed at minimum 10 games during the season.
Sounds like the English Premier League.

Well you are an Arsenal fan. I do follow manchester city.

Funny you mentioned that.

I think of David Rocastle as a good example. Won 2 EPL, well english 1st Division Titles. He played in all 38 games in that famous 1988-89 season where Arsenal got over the line in the final day beating liverpool at anfield. Then he only played 16 games in Arsenals 1990-91 season as he was rotated in and out of the squad because of injuries.

The medal is a token - the only thing that makes it worthwhile is the meaning attached to it. Personally I wouldn't want a premiership medal if I didn't play in the Grand Final. I remember Peter Knights talking about the 1971 Grand Final. He'd had a breakout season, playing great footy and wrecked his knee in the semi final. He said "Everyone said you were part of it but you knew you really weren't". A medal wouldn't change that feeling.
Didnt prevent him on winning premiership medals later in his career didnt it?

Can the Brisbane players also get one? I mean if we are giving them out to players who didn’t actually win won, why not? And also GWS players for being so close to a GF? And maybe Sam Walsh should get one for being the best finals player, thoroughly deserves it also.

The AFL should only give medals to the 22/23 who play on the day.
It is up to the club to honour the rest of the list however they wish (Premiership Medals/Rings, invite them to reunions etc.)

Get rid of the AA squad as well, nobody cares unless you're in the 22.

“They wouldn’t want it” is the funniest response.

Yes… I’ve worked for years to help this club win a flag, please don’t call me up on the stage and recognise me. I would hate it.

In any case, since when is anybody forced to accept an award? Everybody knows the GF is coming, if you don’t want one then that’s fine, just tell them “if we win I don’t want one”.

It’s simple - it’s a Premiership Medal, not a Grand Final winners medal.

Playing/winning in the h&a season and other finals doesnt make you a premiership player, it helps your club reach the grand final. I concur with the view that some recognition should be given for that, but not the same as grand final players.

A good example I reckon is Jack Payne. Played most of the year, Brisbane might well have not gotten near it without him. Cruel injury late forces him out the side. He is just as deserving of a 2023 premiership medal as any pie that wasn't out there.

“They wouldn’t want it” is the funniest response.

Yes… I’ve worked for years to help this club win a flag, please don’t call me up on the stage and recognise me. I would hate it.

In any case, since when is anybody forced to accept an award? Everybody knows the GF is coming, if you don’t want one then that’s fine, just tell them “if we win I don’t want one”.

It’s simple - it’s a Premiership Medal, not a Grand Final winners medal.

The presentation would go for a few hours after the game, I guess you want the opposition to sit on the ground while ewe hand out all these medals you want to give out? 40 odd players, then 10-16 coaching staff, support staff, why not admin?

You are advocating a participation medal.
Taylor Adams played zero role on Saturday 30th September 2023 in Collingwood winning the Grand Final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The presentation would go for a few hours after the game, I guess you want the opposition to sit on the ground while ewe hand out all these medals you want to give out? 40 odd players, then 10-16 coaching staff, support staff, why not admin?

Taylor Adams played zero role on Saturday 30th September 2023 in Collingwood winning the Grand Final.

😂

What on earth are you on about. Each player takes about 15 seconds. An extra 15 or so players would take about four minutes more. Oh the humanity.

I didn’t say anything about admin staff or others. As for the opposition, I don’t really care what they do. That’s up to them.

It’s not a participation medal. And it’s not a grand final winners medal either. It’s a premiership medal.

Nick Daicos very easily couldve missed through injury. You’d have to be genuinely not all there to suggest that a gun player like that who played 20+ games had contributed less to a premiership than some fringe player who happened to play on GF day. It doesn’t pass the slightest sniff test.

😂

What on earth are you on about. Each player takes about 15 seconds. An extra 15 or so players would take about four minutes more. Oh the humanity.

I didn’t say anything about admin staff or others. As for the opposition, I don’t really care what they do. That’s up to them.

It’s not a participation medal. And it’s not a grand final winners medal either. It’s a premiership medal.

Nick Daicos very easily couldve missed through injury. You’d have to be genuinely not all there to suggest that a gun player like that who played 20+ games had contributed less to a premiership than some fringe player who happened to play on GF day. It doesn’t pass the slightest sniff test.

The medal is for playing in a winning GF team on that day. That’s what the medal is. The club gets the premiership cup, flag etc.
The club is more than welcome to give others medals, replica cups, a bunch of roses or whatever they like.
The medal is given to the players who win you the cup on that day.
Not bloody rocket science. Always someone who wants to change everything.

If a player plays either:

-15 Games across the season
Or
- the Grand Final

They get a premiership medal. End of.

Why not 14? What about 12? But he did his knee and didn’t play at all, what about him?
Thank god we only have to put up with this nonsense for a week or two a year.

A “participation medal” is what it would be indeed.

I coached juniors fur 10 years…even 11 year olds see through that stuff.
They got awards they know they don’t really deserve and cringe.

And super bowl losers don’t get a friggin ring !

You can acknowledge everyone within the club in your own way, nothing wrong with that.
The players who don’t play will always feel they missed out but a medal is a fair gesture.

What I hate is the holier than thou approach by McRae all the time.
Wear ya medal mate, you’re doing Jock a disservice by disregarding it. We already know it’s a whole club approach, we don’t need you acting all high and mighty to prove a point. It doesn’t take away from the other coaches.

How would you feel having a medal named after you and the winners are just too embarrassed to wear them?
Norm Smith especially, your medal gets hidden or ripped off just because it’s not what you’re after.
It’s so disrespectful imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Should players who miss out on a flag deserve a premiership medal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back