Opinion Should players who miss out on a flag deserve a premiership medal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick a percentage that can be agreed upon by the AFL as having ‘significantly contributed’ to the flag. Make it 10 games minimum for all I care. Everyone that heavily contributed deserves one.

I guess the point it, whatever criteria you set is arbitrary. The current criteria is playing in the grand final.

You'll find a lot of players heavily contribute through efforts other than being named to play a game, so no other criteria other than making it for playing in the grand final or including the entire squad makes any sense.

I was the team manager of my footy club's last flag. I'd retired the year before and I was dead keen on getting the medal. One of the players broke their hand in the first final and had to miss, he got a medal. I can tell you that he and I were both stoked to get a medal.

I still have my medal and treasure it.

The way they AFL do it is absolutely laughable.

As if Darcy Fort should be recognised with a medal and Oscar McInerney shouldn’t be.

Connor McKenna? He had a jog around when the game was beyond finished.

Some numpty made a stupid decision decades ago (genuinely, I bet it was to save money before the game had any) and now nuffies think it’s “correct” and “tradition”.

I think yesterday settled the question once and for all. If a club can give two Ron Barassi medals to their Mickey Mouse co-captain team, squad players for the year deserve premiership medals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Should players who miss out on a flag deserve a premiership medal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back