Sit back, relax... Tom's here for good

Remove this Banner Ad

If you remember all the rumours of Judd coming to Melbourne or going to Collingwood, throughout that time, Carlton remained favourites with the bookmakers.

You're wrong. For a few hours, one beautiful afternoon, Melbourne were the favourites. Ironically, it was after Eddie McGuire hinted that Judd to Melbourne was a done deal.

If you didn't already know, player sponsors actually do talk to their players in a social environment. And I'm sure they would develop some sought of relationship.

People on here talk about mateship with players. Do the same people realise that Scully may have had great respect for JMac and Bruce, and saw how the club treated them? If Scully goes for money reasons, his ex-Melbourne teammates will be more understanding than the supporters.

This is my theory, nothing factual. If our offer is in the ball park of GWS's, Scully would probably stay. If you remember with GAJ, Geelong were upfront with their final offer, and wouldn't budge. Forget about pulling at the heartstrings, and concentrate on the purse strings.

The sole betting agency running a book, has Scully paying $1.50 to go to GWS and $2.50 to stay at Melbourne. If you remember all the rumours of Judd coming to Melbourne or going to Collingwood, throughout that time, Carlton remained favourites with the bookmakers. Bookmakers would never set a market like this unless they had reliable inside infomation.

He's going.
Why do you write this crap? Do you want us to look like a joke again? Poor club that can't keep their players, Schwab who played a big part in the GC & GWS compensation deals. How can he let this happen to his own club? The media will have a field day with us, the shit will hit the fan.

Do you stop and think that odds are heavily in favour of GWS because of Eddie's comments, what were the odds before Eddie opened up his big fat mouth?

On Judd if we tanked like we should of we would of got him. Collingwood were never going to get him because they didn't have the picks or players that could do a deal with West Coast. You didn't really need to have inside info to know that Carlton had the picks and player that could get the deal done.

At close to the same time last year Petterd was a certainty to leave the club according to most people on forums " Why wouldn't you go for that money" he had family there, Gold Coast on his facebook account and was watching footy games on the Gold Coast. What happened? He stayed.

There is no doubt Ablett leaving Geelong is a slap in the face to Geelong. He's basically telling them that their premiership window is over and now he's chasing the money but I don't think any Geelong fan can't begrudge him because he's given them 2 flags and a brownlow.

Scully on the other hand has done nothing, the club has done nothing. If we were to lose him it would be a massive slap in the face. A 20 year old telling us that he doesn't see us winning a premiership is massive kick in the guts because surely a players number one priority is still to win a premiership because if it isn't (especially for a 20 year old) then I have major concerns on where the club is heading (especially with free agency coming soon) and where the AFL is heading.

Why do you write this crap? Do you want us to look like a joke again? Poor club that can't keep their players, Schwab who played a big part in the GC & GWS compensation deals. How can he let this happen to his own club? The media will have a field day with us, the shit will hit the fan.

Do you stop and think that odds are heavily in favour of GWS because of Eddie's comments, what were the odds before Eddie opened up his big fat mouth?

On Judd if we tanked like we should of we would of got him. Collingwood were never going to get him because they didn't have the picks or players that could do a deal with West Coast. You didn't really need to have inside info to know that Carlton had the picks and player that could get the deal done.

At close to the same time last year Petterd was a certainty to leave the club according to most people on forums " Why wouldn't you go for that money" he had family there, Gold Coast on his facebook account and was watching footy games on the Gold Coast. What happened? He stayed.

There is no doubt Ablett leaving Geelong is a slap in the face to Geelong. He's basically telling them that their premiership window is over and now he's chasing the money but I don't think any Geelong fan can't begrudge him because he's given them 2 flags and a brownlow.

Scully on the other hand has done nothing, the club has done nothing. If we were to lose him it would be a massive slap in the face. A 20 year old telling us that he doesn't see us winning a premiership is massive kick in the guts because surely a players number one priority is still to win a premiership because if it isn't (especially for a 20 year old) then I have major concerns on where the club is heading (especially with free agency coming soon) and where the AFL is heading.

Good post LS :thumbsu:

We were never going to get Judd. Once he'd decided to go to Carlton for the coin, which was well before the the charade of meeting with us and Collingwood, a deal would get done between WCE and Carlton.

As for your last paragraph, I totally agree. I said this in an earlier debate with Hannabal. If Scully leaves Melbourne, it's more of an indictment on us as a club and the AFL, than it is on Scully.

The other problem we face with Scully not engaging in contract negotiations till year end is that it hinders negotiations with other players. All he has to do is come out and say he's committed to Melbourne. He hasn't. He's going.

Yeah, the fine print might say "for 2011 only".

I'm certain Scully would give his all for us this year regardless of if he moved or not. Ablett did last year and Scully is just as professional.

I said this in an earlier debate with Hannabal. If Scully leaves Melbourne, it's more of an indictment on us as a club and the AFL, than it is on Scully.

This is similar to some of the Bruce comments/threads. The club could do all it needs in this, handle everything impeccably ... and he could still go.

Ultimately, it's Tom's decision, that he'll make for his own reasons, and if he did go, I find it really hard to see or understand how that's necessarily a reflection on the club.

This is similar to some of the Bruce comments/threads. The club could do all it needs in this, handle everything impeccably ... and he could still go.

Ultimately, it's Tom's decision, that he'll make for his own reasons, and if he did go, I find it really hard to see or understand how that's necessarily a reflection on the club.
Simply because it's so rare for a young player of his quality to want to leave a club after essentially 12 months, considering that there is no go-home factor. The only similar case I could think of that compares is Frank Marchesani.

He's not even allowing the club to negotiate a deal during the season, which could theoretically match GWS' offer.

Just as we didn't find out the true reasons why McLean left, I think that the same will apply with Scully.

BTW, I don't think that the club handled the Bruce situation impeccably. But that's another matter.

You can't compare Bruce with Scully. Bruce is at the end of his career while Scully is at the start of his career, signing Scully is more important than it ever was to sign Bruce.

Yeah, if Scully opts to leave, I don't think this a situation where it could conceivably reflect badly on the club.

If something negative happens between now and the end of the season between Tom and the club, then perhaps you could mount an argument, but as it stands, if Tom leaves it's for no other reason than to chase $$$$$.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can't compare Bruce with Scully. Bruce is at the end of his career while Scully is at the start of his career, signing Scully is more important than it ever was to sign Bruce.

That's right. And just maybe Bruce walking may even directly enable the club to put up a decent offer for Scully to remain a Demon.

Besides, he'll be staying anyway. Not long after the CBA & TV rights is done, he'll sign.

Yeah, if Scully opts to leave, I don't think this a situation where it could conceivably reflect badly on the club.

If something negative happens between now and the end of the season between Tom and the club, then perhaps you could mount an argument, but as it stands, if Tom leaves it's for no other reason than to chase $$$$$.

I agree with this. I can't see how Scully leaving would be an 'indictment' on the club. Melbourne can offer Tom an exciting young list with the promise of success in the future, that he will be the hometown superstar in our new heartland at Casey and that he'll be very well looked after financially.

GWS also have on offer an exciting young list with the promise of future success, the opportunity to be one of the founding stars of their brand new club and that he'll be looked after outrageously well financially.

The ball is in Tom's court.

I agree with this. I can't see how Scully leaving would be an 'indictment' on the club. Melbourne can offer Tom an exciting young list with the promise of success in the future, that he will be the hometown superstar in our new heartland at Casey and that he'll be very well looked after financially.

GWS also have on offer an exciting young list with the promise of future success, the opportunity to be one of the founding stars of their brand new club and that he'll be looked after outrageously well financially.

The ball is in Tom's court.

Let's hope he makes the right decision...not the greedy one.

P.S. I know it's early days but I hope Scully's watching GWS tonight. They'll be struggling for years to come.

Success Vs $$$. What will win?

Let's hope he makes the right decision...not the greedy one.

P.S. I know it's early days but I hope Scully's watching GWS tonight. They'll be struggling for years to come.

Success Vs $$$. What will win?
he will be 28 before he plays a final up there.:D:D:D:D:D:D

These were my first thoughts. Hope GWS gets demolished by GCS as well.

Throwing it out there but GCS were quite competitive, they wouldnt have been a year ago, in fact they struggled last year in the TAC, put some older players in the side and they will be alright.

Seriously guys, if you are going to insult a side, do it right. In fact the support for GWS was actually decent from the sounds of it which is good to see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sit back, relax... Tom's here for good

Remove this Banner Ad

Back