Injury SJOGHCIU - Offseason Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

What the * did Simmo promise the footy gods when we were 5 goals down in the 2018 Grand final?

s**t coming home to roost now. Club is cursed.

sci-fi signs GIF
gotta admit I prayed before the game.

Exact words were "please let us win I don't care if we're shit for years"

images%20(1).jpg

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s a contact injury, his medical history doesn’t come into it at all.

Unless you are superstitious and believe he’s cursed it’s simply unlucky.

No one afl player is more likely to get that type of injury than another.

If he were to get concussed would that be unlucky?

The soft tissue injuries I agree, luck plays a far smaller hand.

True.

But I feel when you get an injury prone player, such as Dan Hannebury or Tom Joyce for example, they tend to be susceptible to injuries others normally wouldn't cop. In the same action.

The same tackle on another player might result in that player being able to run it off, or a small recovery period, yet the same tackle on the injury prone types just wipes them out completely. Made of glass essentially.

All injuries are "unlucky" technically, you're correct. And yet you get some guys that just back up unlucky injury with unlucky injury with unlucky injury to the point it's hardly unlucky anymore.

I'm not sure if there's actual science to back any of what I'm saying up, so I'll put that out there early.

See Mitch Brown and his random poke to the eye he'd get every handful of games. Is Shuey still "unlucky" or is he just not able to cope with the rigours of AFL footy anymore?

Yeo was in his prime and generally kept a clean bill of health before being cut down these past few years. I'd call that unlucky. Shuey is now just age catching up with him.

Last edited:
Would be nice wouldn't it but they would have given a free kick to Freo every bounce for 6 6 6. The AFL never thought this would happen in a game so there's no rule to allow for it.
Has this actually been proven anywhere?

I highly doubt it's a free kick, it would simply be a chat to the interchange stewards saying we are players down and then it would be known to umpires we won't have 6 in an area. We aren't at an advantage and have a 7th player anywhere, it's not gonna be a free kick.

Shueys overturned every stone to get his body right. Ice bath, UV sauna, those recovery leg sleeve things. He's bought it all, and thrown everything at it. This is just age and it's just what we have to expect from here on out. Scatter gun availability and disrupted continuity with his teammates. Ridiculous he has gone down again on the cusp of Yeo returning to join he and TK. Still struggle to fathom with just how little those 3 have played together.

The last thing he can change is the way he plays his footy. Based on what I saw in the Derby I'm not sure he has that in him. I'm a little amazed his hammy didn't ping earlier. I absolutely love the bloke but this is why I had questions around him retaining the captaincy.

He is a ripping man and with where we are at I think he needs to turn his attention into a development coaching role. There's no shortage of talented kids coming through the club's doors and we need to do much better with developing them into top line midfield stars.

I highly doubt it's a free kick, it would simply be a chat to the interchange stewards saying we are players down and then it would be known to umpires we won't have 6 in an area. We aren't at an advantage and have a 7th player anywhere, it's not gonna be a free kick.

It should be that simple, but remember we’re dealing with the AFL here.

A great opportunity now for the likes of clarke, west, trew & XON to get a solid run of games.
These guys offer nothing though, both short and long term. The entire reason we won 2 games last year was because the depth is shithouse. The first 3 rounds this year show that we are still minimum an 8th - 10th side with our best players fully fit. I’d rather just play the new draftees in bigger roles, they’ve shown more than any of the WAFL guys have in 3 games

I think in the law you can reduce it the issue is we would be outnumbered and get pumped by 15 goals and that would look worse for the AFL than the shitshow of a last quarter where the outnumbered team ships 6 goals. And please think about the poor betting companies having to pay out on big margins on big odds.

Totally agree!!!
The potential issue not being explored with what happened with eagles having no players on bench for quarter and half is Fatigue = increased potential for injury. What if Eagles copped a few injured players as a result of fatigue because they couldn't have a break.

Solution would be once a team has no available players then we reduce the number of players on ground, remove a forward and a backman so we have 16. Game still flows but the team has two to rotate on the bench.

The size of the bench has to be increased. GWS also had a similar problem recently, and there have been many others. Games should not be decided by injury and a lack of players fit to take part in the game.

For what its worth, this is my opinion about Shuey and his history of recurring injury:

The thing that stands out to me (biomechanically) is this: If you look at him (Shuey) run, he has a very hunched running style. He hunches forward. In a biomechanical sense, that alters his foot strike, which in turn increases the amount of force taken through the forefoot, the calves, and the hamstrings

I would be almost certain that this, in part, is the underlying cause of why he keeps experiencing lower body soft tissue injuries

If we look at a similar case of this, look to Cyril Rioli, explosive, but with the same hunched running style. And a guy that had the exact same problems as Shuey; recurrent injuries of the hamstring and the calf

So what the Hawthorn medical department did was alter his running position, and retooled his running style. The got him to run more upright. Biomechanically, less force was going through the hamstring and the calf

It was difficult, but they managed it. And as a result, Cyril never again experienced the same degree of lower body soft tissue injuries as he had previously

If the club is in any way looking to get Shuey playing beyond this season, that would be the number 1 thing IMO they should look to do: alter his running position

I think we have to be realistic although the medical still have a lot to answer for with some questionable decisions.

Our club rarely has players playing past 30. I remember in the early 2000s when we had Cousins Judd and Kerr and when they started to get injury after injury around 2007 it came up in the media that we don't have many players playing past 30. Most experts said it was due to travel on players body that takes it toll more so then other clubs Hurns the only player we've had to ever play over 300 games.

Nothing's changed in that regard and these injuries proven we can't have too many ageing players on the list, maybe we should take a close look at age profile in the future. We know players don't play much past 30 so why all of a sudden we have keep so many on the list.

A major over 30 cull is urgently needed.
We should only have 1 or 2 considering where we are on the ladder and what we actually need right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the club is in any way looking to get Shuey playing beyond this season, that would be the number 1 thing IMO they should look to do: alter his running position
The club had to start doing this in 2020, that's when Shuey's problems really started. It's too late now, he's nearly 33.

Our club rarely has players playing past 30. I remember in the early 2000s when we had Cousins Judd and Kerr and when they started to get injury after injury around 2007 it came up in the media that we don't have many players playing past 30. Most experts said it was due to travel on players body that takes it toll more so then other clubs Hurns the only player we've had to ever play over 300 games.

Apparently we're now travelling by private charter. The club have even been trying to drum up support amongst the fans to buy seats. Dunno if it makes any difference to the travel issue with our players.

For what its worth, this is my opinion about Shuey and his history of recurring injury:

The thing that stands out to me (biomechanically) is this: If you look at him (Shuey) run, he has a very hunched running style. He hunches forward. In a biomechanical sense, that alters his foot strike, which in turn increases the amount of force taken through the forefoot, the calves, and the hamstrings

I would be almost certain that this, in part, is the underlying cause of why he keeps experiencing lower body soft tissue injuries

If we look at a similar case of this, look to Cyril Rioli, explosive, but with the same hunched running style. And a guy that had the exact same problems as Shuey; recurrent injuries of the hamstring and the calf

So what the Hawthorn medical department did was alter his running position, and retooled his running style. The got him to run more upright. Biomechanically, less force was going through the hamstring and the calf

It was difficult, but they managed it. And as a result, Cyril never again experienced the same degree of lower body soft tissue injuries as he had previously

While I get what you're saying, Cyril retired at 28. Shuey didnt have many injuries at that age either. We dont really know if the Hawks would have prevented Cyril getting injuries in the later part of his career.

I think we have to be realistic although the medical still have a lot to answer for with some questionable decisions.

Nothing's changed in that regard and these injuries proven we can't have too many ageing players on the list, maybe we should take a close look at age profile in the future. We know players don't play much past 30 so why all of a sudden we have keep so many on the list.

A major over 30 cull is urgently needed.
We should only have 1 or 2 considering where we are on the ladder and what we actually need right now.
I’d like a study on the performance drop off of our players after a certain age. It would provide good rationale for culling earlier than other teams, and earlier than sentimentality/loyalty would normally allow.

I suspect there’d be a pretty strong correlation between output, reliability and age at WC. Hurn an absolute outlier.

Edit: either culling or moving into coaching type roles

These guys offer nothing though, both short and long term. The entire reason we won 2 games last year was because the depth is shithouse. The first 3 rounds this year show that we are still minimum an 8th - 10th side with our best players fully fit. I’d rather just play the new draftees in bigger roles, they’ve shown more than any of the WAFL guys have in 3 games
You still think we are an 8th to 10th side ?

We were beaten by last years spooners , then beat GWS who finished 3rd bottom but lost 3 out 4 quarters then we were down when we got our first injury vs freo who are in horrible form with one of the worst forward lines in the league.

Even if we kept our seniors on the park we wouldn't have won more than 5 or 6 games IMO leaving us bottom 4

I’d like a study on the performance drop off of our players after a certain age. It would provide good rationale for culling earlier than other teams, and earlier than sentimentality/loyalty would normally allow.

I suspect there’d be a pretty strong correlation between output, reliability and age at WC. Hurn an absolute outlier.

Yep the end comes very quick for our 30+ year olds .

Much quicker than a Victorian team player who is guaranteed to play 15 games a year in melbourne without getting on a plane if they choose not to

Hurn was breaking down with calf and hammy injuries a couple of seasons ago and we were speculating he may not reach the 300. Somehow turned it into a Benjamin Button situation

Thought that was pretty straightforward there champion.

Cripps is a fairly healthy player with a long history being durable and staying on the park, particularly impressive given his age. Rarely gets injuries.

Chesser is 19 and played what... less than 10 games in the last 3, going on 4 seasons?

Is it his fault? Absolutely not. But all you have to do is look at someone like Tom Joyce (who we ironically picked up) to see what I'm saying. Is a club "unlucky" to pick up a player like Joyce, with his extensive background of injuries and have him inevitably hurt and unable to even make of through a pre season, or is that bad list management?

There was always an element of risk with Chesser, given the 2 years prior to his draft were injury affected, and now since he was drafted he's had his first season wiped out completely, then backed that up with another decent chunk (at this point) of his second season as well.

So yeah, i don't see Chessers injury as unlucky. It's not exactly bucking the trend is it?

D92701A8-1C4F-46F5-8F50-123D9DF22C18.png

Yes, clearly this is Chesser’s fault and not unlucky at all.

Anyone else would have just bounced up as if nothing had happened after an opponent fell across their knee when the leg was at an awkward angle and trapped underneath

Recruiters should have foreseen this as inevitable and not drafted him

I'm pretty sure a fair amount of our injuries in last year's preseason acured when we played the dogkers... No coincidence, rd3 this year play the dogkers and again a huge amount of clumsy collision injuries. 🤔 It's their fault. Or maybe we are just the West Cursed Eagles 🔥

You still think we are an 8th to 10th side ?

We were beaten by last years spooners , then beat GWS who finished 3rd bottom but lost 3 out 4 quarters then we were down when we got our first injury vs freo who are in horrible form with one of the worst forward lines in the league.

Even if we kept our seniors on the park we wouldn't have won more than 5 or 6 games IMO leaving us bottom 4
Based on performance we’re better than the 3 teams we have played so far. I don’t think North and GWS are the basketcases they were last year and Freo played finals (remains to be see how good they are this year).

Based on that form I’d have had us ahead of those 3 plus Hawthorn at a minimum then potentially fighting it out with the likes of Adelaide, GC for a middling position on the ladder.

The injuries suck because it’s tough to watch losses when I know we’re better than the results are showing, but they’re look like a blessing in disguise as we’ll be able to snap up another strong draft hand and get the rebuild moving quicker rather than finishing in no man’s land every year

View attachment 1650730

Yes, clearly this is Chesser’s fault and not unlucky at all.

Anyone else would have just bounced up as if nothing had happened after an opponent fell across their knee when the leg was at an awkward angle and trapped underneath

Recruiters should have foreseen this as inevitable and not drafted him

Take it and have your opinion as you will grandad. If you want to just call it unlucky, that's fine.

The facts are as follows.

• He didn't play in his U17 year
  • He played 1 game of his U18 year before injuring his meniscus, it was diagnosed as a shorter term injury but for whatever reason took him longer to come back from it and play 2 games at the end.
  • West Coast draft him knowing he's played 2-3 games over the past 24 months.
  • Gets injured in his first practice match for West Coast. Misses an entire season
  • Second season there's doubts about his revovery from the lingering ankle injury right up until round 1.
  • Plays 3 games and is injured again. This time with an MCL.

For a total of... 7 games (if you include the practice game he died in) in 3, now going on 4 years.

It'll be interesting to see how his recovery goes and if the 4-8 week timeline gets blown out with how he starts his fitness build again, given he's already playing catchup up with that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury SJOGHCIU - Offseason Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back