Injury SJOGHCIU - Offseason Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Luke Shuey was very injury-prone during his first two seasons. Got osteitis pubis, broke a leg, needed a hernia operation, hurt a knee. Also got glandular fever, for what that's worth. Only played a couple of East Perth reserves games in year 1, played six AFL games in year 2.

Then played every game in his third season, was pretty durable for nearly a decade after that.

1680697769420.png

If you flip a coin five times in a row and it comes up heads every time, you might think the coin is biased. And it might be, or it might be a statistical anomaly that sorts itself out over time.

Luke Shuey was very injury-prone during his first two seasons. Got osteitis pubis, broke a leg, needed a hernia operation, hurt a knee. Also got glandular fever, for what that's worth. Only played a couple of East Perth reserves games in year 1, played six AFL games in year 2.

Then played every game in his third season, was pretty durable for nearly a decade after that.

View attachment 1650977

If you flip a coin five times in a row and it comes up heads every time, you might think the coin is biased. And it might be, or it might be a statistical anomaly that sorts itself out over time.

You neglect to mention Shuey at least played out a full season in his draft year for Oakleigh and Vic Metro. He was even Metro's MVP prior to being drafted.

So whilst his first 2 seasons at WCE were rough, Chessers injury woes clearly eclipse what Shuey copped at this point.

Which says a bit.

Hurn was breaking down with calf and hammy injuries a couple of seasons ago and we were speculating he may not reach the 300. Somehow turned it into a Benjamin Button situation
By few years do you mean like 10 years ago? Prior to 2021 he missed 7 games between 2014-2020. He, however, did miss 16 games between 2013 and 14

You neglect to mention Shuey at least played out a full season in his draft year for Oakleigh and Vic Metro. He was even Metro's MVP prior to being drafted.

So whilst his first 2 seasons at WCE were rough, Chessers injury woes clearly eclipse what Shuey copped at this point.

Which says a bit.

I didn't mention that because I had no idea what his pre-draft history was like.

On the subject of pre-draft history, was Chesser injured in his bottom-aged year or did he just not play because Covid wrecked that entire year?

Which says a bit.

Chesser’s injury history pre draft (that I can find) :

• Meniscus in his 2nd nab league game of 2021. Returned to play last two games of that season
• End list

You like to point out that he played no football in 2020, but like you often do you’ve misrepresented the facts as that was due to Covid restrictions not injury

So the sum total of the evidence pointing to a propensity to get injured was a solitary meniscus injury that he recovered from. Clearly this was an obvious red flag

Joel Selwood had 4 knee operations before stupid Geelong drafted him. Obviously he was an injury risk on that criteria

Yes some players are injury prone, good luck identifying that predraft in most instances

Nic Nat describes the physicality of playing ruck is akin to moving fridges, for young Bailey it must have felt like he was moving a freight train with Darcy. Darcy won that battle easily but I thought Bailey took a massive step up and I hardly saw Darcy assert his physical dominance like he normally does with Baz

You like to point out that he played no football in 2020, but like you often do you’ve misrepresented the facts as that was due to Covid restrictions not injury

Show me where I said Chessers U17 year in 2020 was ruined due to injury.

Go on. I'll wait here.

Or... could it be in your haste to disagree like a hero you've just perceived it that way and have now labelled myself as "misinterpreting the facts"?

I said he played 0 games in his U17 year.... which part of that is false exactly?

Tune in next week, where Dark Sharks takes a giant s**t on Harry Barnett.

And yet I clearly rate Ginbey, Hewett and Long and talk them up quite frequently. Barnett pick was potentially my favourite one of the lot.

So that really throws a spanner in this meme.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Show me where I said Chessers U17 year in 2020 was ruined due to injury.

Go on. I'll wait here.

Or... could it be in your haste to disagree like a hero you've just perceived it that way and have now labelled myself as "misinterpreting the facts"?

I said he played 0 games in his U17 year.... which part of that is false exactly?

I didn’t say you misinterpreted the facts

I said you misrepresented them

Which you did

No, you didn’t say he missed games in 2020 due to injury but it was the opening gambit in a list of injuries which gives the clear inference that it was injury related. Misrepresentation

Some will know it was due to covid, others perhaps not

Maybe in your haste to make a point about a player being injury prone, you’ve included a fact that isn’t relevant to your point but is framed in a way that makes it appear so

The king of taking a mildly-funny-at-first joke and grinding it so far into the ground it starts spitting up magma is getting tired of something?

It's too tiring. Especially on a phone.

Can't come up with a alternate opinion on this board without you two tag teaming responses back and forth, on and on.

It's arguing with two of the same person. Have you ever disagreed about anything??

Go to reply to one and the other replies to something you said 2 pages back with a sarcastic comment. Go to respond to that and a boomer meme comes out. Get a counter arguement all penned up and there's a paragraph of snide insults waiting.

Been going on for a cheeky 10+ years so I don't see why i still fall for it really.

It's one thing watching you tag team nuffies over the years until they quit the forum (lost count of how many times that's happened), but it certainly snuffs out any actual interest in debating something, knowing that's what's coming. If that's what you're trying to achieve, then by all means... 👍

I regret picking Chesser FWIW. Thought Johnson played a decent first game as a sub and still cant wrap my head around why we didn't choose the obvious WA option especially considering we went with WA options the draft after with our first two picks.
Thought Johnson was pretty invisible, tbh. To be expected thought, coming on late in your first game.

Take it and have your opinion as you will grandad. If you want to just call it unlucky, that's fine.

The facts are as follows.

• He didn't play in his U17 year
  • He played 1 game of his U18 year before injuring his meniscus, it was diagnosed as a shorter term injury but for whatever reason took him longer to come back from it and play 2 games at the end.
  • West Coast draft him knowing he's played 2-3 games over the past 24 months.
  • Gets injured in his first practice match for West Coast. Misses an entire season
  • Second season there's doubts about his revovery from the lingering ankle injury right up until round 1.
  • Plays 3 games and is injured again. This time with an MCL.

For a total of... 7 games (if you include the practice game he died in) in 3, now going on 4 years.

It'll be interesting to see how his recovery goes and if the 4-8 week timeline gets blown out with how he starts his fitness build again, given he's already playing catchup up with that.
You are conflating causation with correlation.
Chesser's last two injuries are incidental, not derivative.

Dark sharks.

Chesser is 20.

We didn't take a WAFL player called Priddis for 6yrs and intially passed on another guy called Kelly for 5 yrs before selling the friggin farm (costing us 5 kids in 2 drafts who would likely have 30 games into them by now).

Another guy called Judd was considered a lemon due to dodgy shoulders, resulting in us actually being able to draft him.

Shuey played 6 games in his first 2 yrs, because,...dodgy hammys. I remember all the talk then about us drafting a lemon too.

It's a lottery.

They're kids. Some go bang immediately, some take 4-5yrs.

Rather than criticise a 20yo who's only got upside, why aren't we talking about a bunch of 30+ veterans whos bodies aren't up to it, yet apparently have ink drying on 2 yr contract extensions.

Gov
Cripps
Shuey
Hurn
Yeo
Nicnat

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

I regret picking Chesser FWIW. Thought Johnson played a decent first game as a sub and still cant wrap my head around why we didn't choose the obvious WA option especially considering we went with WA options the draft after with our first two picks.
Didn't want Johnson.
I would've taken a punt on Ben Hobbs despite the supposed go-home factor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury SJOGHCIU - Offseason Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back