Injury SJOGHCIU - Offseason Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

This year I’m trying really hard not to be the bloke that attacks the club for its threadbare injury list each week, but geez.

Guy who’s at least arguably best 22 and was talked up during the preseason is sore, being managed and unavailable for AFL round 1 - if they’re doing the report properly that gets a mention, doesn’t it?

This year I’m trying really hard not to be the bloke that attacks the club for its threadbare injury list each week, but geez.

Guy who’s at least arguably best 22 and was talked up during the preseason is sore, being managed and unavailable for AFL round 1 - if they’re doing the report properly that gets a mention, doesn’t it?

I don’t think it does, no

He’s named to play WAFL

Sore =/= injured

Bazzo isn’t playing, has been in rehab before and after his bereavement leave but nobody’s arcing up because he wasn’t on the list

Baker should be on the list since he’s not been training but he’s a fringe player so there’s no noise around him

I don’t think the injury list needs to be a detailed health status of each player that’s got a bit of a niggle

I don’t think it does, no

He’s named to play WAFL

Sore =/= injured

Bazzo isn’t playing, has been in rehab before and after his bereavement leave but nobody’s arcing up because he wasn’t on the list

Baker should be on the list since he’s not been training but he’s a fringe player so there’s no noise around him

I don’t think the injury list needs to be a detailed health status of each player that’s got a bit of a niggle

They have no credits in the bank with me on this stuff, obviously, so I’m not inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt. Baker should probably be on there since he’s not playing.

Bazzo is probably a different situation, everyone’s aware of what he’s been through and that he’ll take time to come back, I don’t think that needs to be included.

With Culley, the sheer number of comments on social media asking where he was and why he wasn’t named, the fact that he’s still in some doubt for the WAFL (based on Rhino saying “some” chance he plays) - to me that says the club should have been on the front foot with it and said on Tuesday that he was doubtful, or unavailable. I don’t think North are getting much benefit out of knowing that a couple of days early so there’s no reason to play smoke and mirrors.

It’s just symbolic of the way they treat these reports, which are supposed to be a source of info for fans.

They have no credits in the bank with me on this stuff, obviously, so I’m not inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt. Baker should probably be on there since he’s not playing.

Bazzo is probably a different situation, everyone’s aware of what he’s been through and that he’ll take time to come back, I don’t think that needs to be included.

With Culley, the sheer number of comments on social media asking where he was and why he wasn’t named, the fact that he’s still in some doubt for the WAFL (based on Rhino saying “some” chance he plays) - to me that says the club should have been on the front foot with it and said on Tuesday that he was doubtful, or unavailable. I don’t think North are getting much benefit out of knowing that a couple of days early so there’s no reason to play smoke and mirrors.

It’s just symbolic of the way they treat these reports, which are supposed to be a source of info for fans.

As it stands he’s expected to play so isn’t injured

If he doesn’t play then I’d expect he appears on next week’s injury list

This isn’t a Partingtons issue

Yet

Sounds like an injury 🙃

Shush now

Also mentions Hough was ill last week which might explain why he didn’t get a look in

That's certainly a novel way to reduce an injury list: "forget" players are injured and then hope the fans just fail to notice and don't ask any questions :tearsofjoy:🤷‍♂️

No win sitch... don't play bloke with niggle... massive conspiracy....play bloke with niggle...WTF ARE THESE USLESS PR!CKS DOING!!!

You forgot announce the injury when you announce all the other injuries in the weekly injury report and none of this will happen ... Apart from the oh shit no this again posts but they're going to come regardless.

No win sitch... don't play bloke with niggle... massive conspiracy....play bloke with niggle...WTF ARE THESE USLESS PR!CKS DOING!!!

I don’t think anyone has a problem with them not playing a bloke with a niggle.

The issue was that no one knew he had a niggle until Rhino’s tweet this morning.

Anyway, they’ve addressed it now. Let’s see if they’ve learnt any lessons for the rest of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“Look at how good our injury list is compared to last year!”
“Yeah but what about all the injured guys that you didn’t include on it?”
“Uhhhh forget about them”

There was a round last year where this exact thing happened. They tweeted out the injury list on Tuesday with the message “look how short the list is now!”. Then the teams were announced two days later and there were four forced changes, all resulting from injuries that had been suffered in the previous weekend’s game.

Think that resulted in my biggest dummy spit of the year.

“Look at how good our injury list is compared to last year!”
“Yeah but what about all the injured guys that you didn’t include on it?”
“Uhhhh forget about them”

There are injuries :D -> Players no one cares about
And there are injuries :mad: -> Nic Nat, Yeo, Culley

The former are in the weekly report, the latter are SURPRISE!

There’s any number of reasons that might explain why we gave him two years instead of one

Maybe he took a lower amount per year for the added security of a second year.

Maybe they had a full medical done on him and were confident he’d play a majority of games (admittedly that one’s a long shot)

Maybe there’s a transitional element into a ruck coach role incorporated

Maybe there’s a trigger on games played to qualify for a second year

Maybe he’s taken a hit this year on a low pay to avoid salary cap issues with a thank you payment in 2024

Maybe it’s none of those and it’s just a shitty list management decision

Without seeing the contract we have no way of knowing but I’m happy to wait and see how this year plays out before getting too judgemental
Just a few years ago there's no way in hell I'd refer to Mark Duffield as the most authoritative voice on the West Coast Eagles but hey we've been through some unusual times since so...

Last year when Naitanui's 2 year contract was announced he, like many of us on here was quite surprised by it.

"As I understand he's bone on bone in one knee, he's only managed 8 games in 2022 and if he has another setback in the preseason he's effectively finished"

I take on board everything that Keys has said but it still ranks a negligent list management decision.

Accurate Injury List

Allen, Oscar*Edwards, Luke*Petrevski-Seton, Sam*
Baker, Jordyn R*Foley, Luke*Petruccelle, Jack*
Barnett, Harry*Gaff, Andrew*Rotham, Josh Arm 3-4 Weeks
Barrass, Tom*Ginbey, Reuben*Ryan, Liam*
Bazzo, Rhett*Hewett, Elijah*Sheed, Dominic*
Burgiel, Coby*Hough, Brady*Shuey, Luke*
Chesser, Campbell*Hunt, Jayden*Trew, Zane R*
Clark, Greg*Hurn, Shannon*Waterman, Jake*
Cole, Tom*Jamieson, Callum*West, Connor R*
Cripps, Jamie*Jones, Jamaine*Williams, Bailey Hamstring Available
Culley, Jai R Calf TBCKelly, Tim*Williams, Jack - Spleen TBC
Darling, Jack Ankle AvailableLong, Noah*Winder, Isiah R*
Dewar, Tyrell R*McGovern, Jeremy*Witherden, Alex*
Duggan, Liam*Naitanui, Nicholas Achilles TBCYeo, Elliot Calf TBC
Edwards, Harry*O'Neill, Xavier*

* May or may not be injured

There's 100% a coaching element to keeping Nic on board, it comes up every single time one of the younger rucks is interviewed. His tap work is in a league of its own, and I imagine what he knows about ruckwork would mean he's a highly sought after coach-in-waiting.

Not the worst idea to park his cost under the salary cap when we are loading up on the draft and paying less seniors, instead of nudging the soft cap with him retired and in a coaching role.

There’s any number of reasons that might explain why we gave him two years instead of one

Maybe he took a lower amount per year for the added security of a second year.

Maybe they had a full medical done on him and were confident he’d play a majority of games (admittedly that one’s a long shot)

Maybe there’s a transitional element into a ruck coach role incorporated

Maybe there’s a trigger on games played to qualify for a second year

Maybe he’s taken a hit this year on a low pay to avoid salary cap issues with a thank you payment in 2024

Maybe it’s none of those and it’s just a shitty list management decision

Without seeing the contract we have no way of knowing but I’m happy to wait and see how this year plays out before getting too judgemental
Sure. But you are putting way too much faith in the club with those 'maybes'. I am taking it on face value that it is a standard two-year playing contract.

The way that the club communicates to its members has been woeful over the past couple of years. We only just found out the length of our senior coaches' contract extension due to an interview!

West Coast has burned up, dare I say it, all their credits in the bank.

There's 100% a coaching element to keeping Nic on board, it comes up every single time one of the younger rucks is interviewed. His tap work is in a league of its own, and I imagine what he knows about ruckwork would mean he's a highly sought after coach-in-waiting.
This might be more compelling if after several years spent learning the craft from nicnat at training our young rucks weren't absolutely trash.

Its a huge generalisation, but often superstar calibre players whose game relies on freakish natural ability (and nic nat is about the best example of that I can think of) are no good as coaches- because the things that made them good players are effectively unteachable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury SJOGHCIU - Offseason Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back