Phantom Draft Snoops Annual Mock Draft..

Remove this Banner Ad

Great read Snoop, but do you really think Collingwood will get Horlin-Smith/Farmer at 44/45 and Chalwell at 78? Sounds a bit wishful to me.

Edit: Also, I doubt Richmond will draft two HBF, as we already have plenty of them.

Thx pal.

i think they are both in the 30-50 range so I guess they could. Farmer testing was very good and similar to Hanneberry I think so might be a bolter.

Chalwell I think could go from 25- Rookie to be honest. Very hard getting a read on him.

Take your point re Richmond. One of the ones I wasnt that comfortable with and will probably 'tune' when 2nd list lodgement in and order finalised.

Thx pal.

i think they are both in the 30-50 range so I guess they could. Farmer testing was very good and similar to Hanneberry I think so might be a bolter.

Chalwell I think could go from 25- Rookie to be honest. Very hard getting a read on him.

Take your point re Richmond. One of the ones I wasnt that comfortable with and will probably 'tune' when 2nd list lodgement in and order finalised.

Cheers mate. I could see both Farmer and H-Smith sneaking into the top 30. Chalwell, yeah he's tough to place but there's a lot to like. As for the Tigs, we need mids and a key forward above all else.

An excellent effort most of the selections make sense on a needs basis as well as potential.
The only criticism if any really is i would like to see a pick in the early to mid parts of the first round that comes as a bit of a shock, as this seems to be fairly common in recent drafts.
As a Carlton fan i actually like the selection of Barden as i believe a key forward will be a must after picking up Watson, and Barden did impress me at the championships albeit a little slow.

Yep great question and when you do these there are always players you slide up a lot and then down a lot in the order.... for me the following are some of the guys I spent a bit of time on and where i think I could be well wrong;

Big risers could be

Farmer - Have him at mid 40's and think he could go as early #20. Very good footballer and done everything right.

Prestia - I have him at #25 and think it could well be as high as #8.

Guthrie - I have him #32 I think and he could go #10-15

Crocker & Horlin-Smith - both mid #40's who I think could be from #25

One of the WA talls (Hamp, Menagola and Chalwell) - all good chances to go as high as #26 to the Eagles if they dont hit Darling at #4.

Big sliders

Watson - orginally had him sliding as was worried about how he would test. Test results were great so he went up a long way

Monaco - increasingly starting to think I have over rated him.

Solly - could the 2010 version of Temel. Personally I rated Temel and Panos higher than Solly so wouldnt be surprised if he didnt get taken in the National.

Delaney - I think he shows the potential you would want but I have rated him a bit higher than what I am thinking could happen.

Barden - another tall bloke who I just think is a natural / smart footballer. His test results werent great though and you always worry about that.

Steinberg - lot of potential but short on history / results so you never know.

Wilson - I just think he is a natural footballer anybody would want but some make a good case why he could go late.

Big risers could be

Farmer - Have him at mid 40's and think he could go as early #20. Very good footballer and done everything right.
I have to agree here, he could shock a few people on draft day.

Prestia - I have him at #25 and think it could well be as high as #8.
End of the day he is short, that normally drops a player down the list. If he was 183cm, it may have been a different story.

Guthrie - I have him #32 I think and he could go #10-15
I agree, I think he is a potential top 20 pick.

Crocker & Horlin-Smith - both mid #40's who I think could be from #25
Horlin-Smith - Just too many signs pointing him to be a smokey. There is a lot to like about the kid.

One of the WA talls (Hamp, Menagola and Chalwell) - all good chances to go as high as #26 to the Eagles if they dont hit Darling at #4.
I am struggling to get a good read on these players, even living in Perth. Thoughts Menagola was taller than he tested, he still shows really good signs. I also like Hamp and Chalwell, not sure where to play the kid, struggling to find a position on the ground, but he does have a good skill set.
Big sliders

Watson - orginally had him sliding as was worried about how he would test. Test results were great so he went up a long way
Every Carlton fans question, he looks more like a 3rd tall than a KPP, so do you draft him as a 3rd tall?

Monaco - increasingly starting to think I have over rated him.
I am slowly jumping off this ship.

Delaney - I think he shows the potential you would want but I have rated him a bit higher than what I am thinking could happen.
This is one ship that I am slowly jumping onto, FB's are hard to rate but a number of people are slowly changing my views on this kid. You may actually have undersold his potential?

Wilson - I just think he is a natural footballer anybody would want but some make a good case why he could go late.
His position in the draft will be interesting to see where he lands, another player that is hard to place for myself.

Very interesting to see you've mentioned a group of players that have been constantly on my mind with regards to their draft position. They're some of the players that I am super interested to see where they land, it will help build a future reference base.

What do you rate the chance's of either Matthew or Shannon Snook draft hopes Snoop? I don't rate either of them, but it seems some do.

Well the fact that Matthew Snook won the Alan Stewart Medal for the BOG in the SANFL U18s GF predominantly selected by Alan Stewart says something I think - but although I am a Stewie fan I am not a fan of either Snook as AFL draftees.

BTJM
(but that's just me :) )

you dont reckon George only going at 80% will work for Hine then?

Trust me when I say George wasn't going at 80%, he's far too professional for that, although this is not to say for one second that Hine didn't try;) I do believe they may have been the ones to convince to follow Footy over Cricket though. I also believe the Crows were kind of hoping no one would notice him too.

Unfortunately pretty much everyone in the recruiting fraternity knows who he is. Upon injuring himself in his 2nd U18 match for Sturt against Centrals, 10 or so blokes immediately stood up and left:eek: Then there's an apparently been an inordinate number of unfamiliar faces asking for Pembroke team sheets before 1st XVIII matches. :rolleyes: From what I hear, won't last past about pick 30, personally, I wouldn't rule out Adelaide at 14, unlikely, but he has a bit of Phil Davis about him and Rendell is not afraid to pull the trigger early if he see's a bloke he really likes, no matter what anyone else thinks.

Trust me when I say George wasn't going at 80%, he's far too professional for that, although this is not to say for one second that Hine didn't try;) I do believe they may have been the ones to convince to follow Footy over Cricket though. I also believe the Crows were kind of hoping no one would notice him too.

Unfortunately pretty much everyone in the recruiting fraternity knows who he is. Upon injuring himself in his 2nd U18 match for Sturt against Centrals, 10 or so blokes immediately stood up and left:eek: Then there's an apparently been an inordinate number of unfamiliar faces asking for Pembroke team sheets before 1st XVIII matches. :rolleyes: From what I hear, won't last past about pick 30, personally, I wouldn't rule out Adelaide at 14, unlikely, but he has a bit of Phil Davis about him and Rendell is not afraid to pull the trigger early if he see's a bloke he really likes, no matter what anyone else thinks.

Just to set the record straight on George HS.

Brisbane were the first to get onto George back in March this year.
They were the 1st and only AFL club there on 1 May 2010 Pembroke v Sacred Heart at Sacred Heart College.
They were also there 15 May 2010 when Pembroke played Scotch College at Scotch College - no other AFL clubs attended that game either.
Brisbane convinced him and Sturt to play U18s for Sturt in school holiday break.
Played in the Sturt U18 game played after the SA v Vic Metro Carnival match at Norwood Oval on 12 June 2010 when all the recruiters just happened to be sitting there.
He starred and ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE.
Collingwood (allegedly - I have to be careful here) flew him over to Melbs a few weeks later and tried to claim him as their discovery and encouraged/told him (again allegedly) to take it easy for the rest of the season.
That is what ACTUALLY happened - not fairytales as above.
Crows = NO INVOLVEMENT

They were the 1st and only AFL club there on 1 May 2010 Pembroke v Sacred Heart at Sacred Heart College.
They were also there 15 May 2010 when Pembroke played Scotch College at Scotch College - no other AFL clubs attended that game either.
Brisbane convinced him and Sturt to play U18s for Sturt in school holiday break.
Played in the Sturt U18 game played after the SA v Vic Metro Carnival match at Norwood Oval on 12 June 2010 when all the recruiters just happened to be sitting there.
Collingwood (allegedly - I have to be careful here) flew him over to Melbs a few weeks later and tried to claim him as their discovery and encouraged/told him (again allegedly) to take it easy for the rest of the season.
Crows = NO INVOLVEMENT

Puts some of the Derek Hine worship in perspective.

Graeme Hadley is a top shelf recruiter. Only a matter of time until the bigger clubs realise and try to poach him. Incredible eye for talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice anecdote albyplus, but you should let the journos do their own work.

Cricketer George Horlin-Smith a bolter in AFL draft
ONE of Australia's hottest young cricketers has become an AFL draft bolter.

George Horlin-Smith, a classy midfielder likened to Jack Trengove and Steele Sidebottom, has shaken up the draft order after his shock nomination.

Collingwood has been linked to Horlin-Smith and could use its first selection, pick No.44. But there are doubts the South Australian will still be available then.
Cricketer George Horlin-Smith a bolter in AFL draft

The Hun's phantom draft selector that was up before it disappeared had Wilkinson available and pick 23 going to the GC. :eek:

Well the fact that Matthew Snook won the Alan Stewart Medal for the BOG in the SANFL U18s GF predominantly selected by Alan Stewart says something I think - but although I am a Stewie fan I am not a fan of either Snook as AFL draftees.

BTJM
(but that's just me :) )
I didn't realise that, but I still stand by what I said. He isn't anything outstanding, which is what will work against him IMO.

Very interesting to see you've mentioned a group of players that have been constantly on my mind with regards to their draft position. They're some of the players that I am super interested to see where they land, it will help build a future reference base.

mate whats your view on some of the WA kids i left off?

interesting.

Crows = NO INVOLVEMENT

thanks pal

Crows = NO INVOLVEMENT

Which parts a fairytale?

Where did I say the Crows had any involvement. I know the Crows have known exactly who he is, only stated that the Crows may have been hoping he might have slipped under the radar so they could pick him up late. You know, local knowledge kind of pick. Pure speculation about the Crows drafting him at 14, apologies if it came across otherwise, just saying we wouldn't shy away from selecting him so early if we rated him highly enough.

I didn't know about the Brisbane involvement, interesting insight though, thanks for the clarification, but I do know Collingwood have "expressed" their interest, to put it lightly.

Fantastic Phantom draft :thumbsu:

A few questions whats your thoughts on Charlie sharples? Heard he has done some nice this hes Jeff Garlett like. Also how long did that take you? :p

Mate not sure what his stats were this year so if you had them handy that would be good but I understand he had a pretty good year. Watched him and liked him as a junior and had him in my mock 3 yrs ago I think. I seem to recollect he went to DC last yr so had a number of clubs keen but couldn't even land a rookie so got the sense his test results were poor. Skills and goal kicking without question.......very similar to Leon Davis way he moves. Be nice to see him get taken.

Hey snoop, just looked at your updated draft, doubt we will take another CHF type player as we already have Gumbleton and Carlisle as CHF types, whilst Hurley looks more comfortable as a CHF when played in the front half, whilst adding some depth we also have Darcy Daniher who despite his size may be able to hold down a CHF spot.

Perhaps a ruckmen with pick 47? although I am a bit speculative that Atkinson may sign, so this may give us an extra pick that you are suggesting we have. And another thing, alot of Essendon supporters seem to think that we will be taking a player in the PSD, how they figure this and why we are going to take a player in the PSD is purely speculative.

So at this stage we have picks

8 (Jason Laycock)
31 (Tyson Slattery)
48 (Michael Still)
65 (Bachar Houli - Ben Howlett Rookie Upgrade at the moment)
81 (potentially Jarrod Atkinson as a late delistee)

Great effort though bud, great effort, certainly one of the more well researched efforts going about.

Hey snoop, just looked at your updated draft, doubt we will take another CHF type player as we already have Gumbleton and Carlisle as CHF types, whilst Hurley looks more comfortable as a CHF when played in the front half, whilst adding some depth we also have Darcy Daniher who despite his size may be able to hold down a CHF spot.

Perhaps a ruckmen with pick 47? although I am a bit speculative that Atkinson may sign, so this may give us an extra pick that you are suggesting we have. And another thing, alot of Essendon supporters seem to think that we will be taking a player in the PSD, how they figure this and why we are going to take a player in the PSD is purely speculative.

So at this stage we have picks

8 (Jason Laycock)
31 (Tyson Slattery)
48 (Michael Still)
65 (Bachar Houli - Ben Howlett Rookie Upgrade at the moment)
81 (potentially Jarrod Atkinson as a late delistee)

Great effort though bud, great effort, certainly one of the more well researched efforts going about.

yeah always hard to get a read but I think i said that in my view Hurley should be left back with Hooker and Pears to form a terrific back half. Gumby and showed this year he will be able to hold down CHF but other than him I dont see many others that are screaming 'pick me' so Walker as a genuine tall fwd and Brown as a kid who could develop into a key fwd / ruck. I guess it all depends on where you play Hurley but I think Hird needs to settle him.

Hey Snoop great job with your draft and player comments - first rate, I dont usually make much comment on here, but having seen plenty all season of the WA boys there is one that is just smacking me in the face as a player that could be anything - Rowan Brookes. Watched the VID on him and backs up what you see every week. A total team player, great hands and takes the first option everytime - a team man in every sense. Conca, Litherland, Sweet also great players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Phantom Draft Snoops Annual Mock Draft..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back