Southern FL Div One 2015

Who will win the SFL Div 1 Flag in 2015

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Word around the traps after Saturdays embarrassing loss to city was that Gilbert [ retired ], Merculia [ retired ] and possibly 1 other. Maybe some '' Dessent '' in the camp ????? Agree the kids are trying, but certainly not up to the level at this stage.

Gilbert is out for the year with knee, so may very well retire or continue on I guess it all comes down to his priorities (he has a newborn kid) and how his rehab goes.

I think you'll find we lost a few from last year and the kids are developing.

They are up to the level, just depends on what level you are talking about? Top 4 team maybe not, but they'd get a gig in the lower teams that's for sure

After 4 games this is how I see the ladder being at the season's end
Dingley
East Brighton
East Malvern
St Kilda City
St Pauls
Bentleigh
Clayton
Mordialloc
Cheltenham
Chelsea Heights

Gilbert is out for the year with knee, so may very well retire or continue on I guess it all comes down to his priorities (he has a newborn kid) and how his rehab goes.
I think you'll find we lost a few from last year and the kids are developing.

They are up to the level, just depends on what level you are talking about? Top 4 team maybe not, but they'd get a gig in the lower teams that's for sure
Hey Greg, i went and watched St Pauls for the first time this year and though I arrived at an under 19s game. Gilbert, Mercoulia, Harrison, Irish all have knee injuries and have gone for the season and Marasco has retired. Kenny mentioned St Pauls currently have 5 players with ACL injuries.
This club has been up for a long time, will be tested this year just to make the finals. From what I saw on the weekend there looks to be heap of young blokes running around now.

After 4 games this is how I see the ladder being at the season's end
Dingley
East Brighton
East Malvern
St Kilda City
St Pauls
Bentleigh
Clayton
Mordialloc
Cheltenham
Chelsea Heights

Dingley
East Brighton
East Malvern
Stkilda City
Mordialloc
St. Paul's
bentleigh
Cheltenham
Clayton
Chelsea heights

Hey Greg, i went and watched St Pauls for the first time this year and though I arrived at an under 19s game. Gilbert, Mercoulia, Harrison, Irish all have knee injuries and have gone for the season and Marasco has retired. Kenny mentioned St Pauls currently have 5 players with ACL injuries.
This club has been up for a long time, will be tested this year just to make the finals. From what I saw on the weekend there looks to be heap of young blokes running around now.

There is a heap of kids at moment due to injuries etc, all clubs go through it and St Paul's have been up for a long time it's only natural that at some stage they would go through a flat period. If you take away the injuries, they would still be a top 4 team.........unfortunately injuries are part of the game and you make the most of the cards you've been dealt with.

Watching results from afar, it's great to see some change in the top of the league, with EM and Mordi doing well so far. Makes for a much more enjoyable league I'm sure, where the top 4 isn't sewn up after 4 rounds.

G'day boys After 5 rounds I finally have a good understanding of where each team is at East Malven, Mordi and St Kilda City are the big improves whereas chelt and Chelsea Heights are the sliders could even fit St Paul's into that category other than that all the other teams are on par for mine. I'll give a quick summary of my thoughts on each team.

1. Dingley- the clear cut favourites for mine had a slight hiccup against mordi been missing players all year and with most of the playing group at the right age they should be in for a big year. From all reports Dan Farmer is living up to his pay check. Jacko Peet is having a career best year, and the inclusion of big man Sturat Cleave will be a real assert. Trav Laroccas run off half back has been outstanding also. I see them finishing 1-2

2. East Brighton - haven't done a lot wrong this year have an ageing list but are experience campaigners and know what finals footy is all about. Andrew Jansen has been the clear standout this year for them his ability to read the ball better than his opponent and turn defence into attack is a real asset. Losing Williamson is loss but Jeremy Heys looks like a pretty handy pickup. They have the best player in the comp in Ben Douthie which will see them finish high on the ladder and play another year of finals footy. I see them finishing 1-3

3. East Malvern
Don't really know a whole lot about EM. Tremaine Tohiariki is there real barometer when he's up and about EM are usually winning games. Inclusions of Ryan Ftizgerald has been a better than handy pickup his ball smarts through the middle will see him get some close attention later on in the year. Terek has moved from CH to EM will be a good get and will bring some physicality to the team, and also be very weary of there small forwards/midfielders who run forward to hit the scoreboard I see them finishing 2-3

4. St Kilda City
There top 5 players are just about the best in the comp in Purvis Bruno Tasyian Green and Sullivan but there bottom 6-8 isn't very flash at all so if they can get an injury free run I see them playing finals as they rely heavily on there guns. Purvis is a racehorse and is almost untaggable from what I've seen his fitness is miles ahead of anyone else and Bruno well we all know what he can do. Has been a star of the comp for over nearly a decade. I see them finishing 4-8

5. Mordialloc they have had a good start to the year knocking off Dingley and St Paul's but the question is whether they can contain it. Division 1 don't hand out wins and I'm really intrigued how they will go this year. To me Sam Antsey is there best mid reads the play really well and Is the best user in the comp. Todd Baiston is another hard working mid who will crack in week in week out. James Morris is a very smart foward and will kick 45+ goals. I don't believe they have what it tacks to win the flag just yet but huge tick to them for how they have come into div 1 this year. I'm tipping they will fade away this year and just miss out on finals. Rank them 5-9

6. Clayton - Think the Scanlon brothers have got a wake call. Comming into this year they thought the SFL was rubbish and they would walk into finals with a few pickups and retained most of there list. Well it ain't going to happen. They rely to heavily on Morrison the Scanlon brothers (both guns might I add) who are streets ahead of there other team mates. Don't see them going anywhere this year and as a club I don't really know what direction they are going in. Heard they are in abit of debt making not as much money over the bar and might struggle to pay all there players. All this info I have received is from a pretty good source as well. Stand to be proven wrong predict finsh 7-9

7. St Paul's Injury and retirement has derailed there year Gilbert Mercoulia and Marasco are arguably there 3 best players. Have a lot of kids playing that will take time but they crack in. They need everything to go right for them to play Finals. Good to see Ridgway is back to his best my tip for the Coleman of the SFL. Gilder is proving as a handy pick up and Allen, Wilson and Ambrose will give 100% week in week out. Think the playing group just thought it was going to happen this year from all reports and at the start of the year they were my tip for the flag and of course injury has played a part but still shouldn't of lossed to Mordi and STK. Still a smokey for finals but a lot will have to go right see them stringing a few wins together soon should finishing 4-7

8. Cheltenham
Gonna be a tuff year for chelt had a good victory over bentleigh but I doubt they will win more games than they lose Patty Nicholls is a star and the Old Brighton pickups from what I've heard have been solid. But don't have a quality Backline and there midfield isn't great. Think the chelt boys knew what they were in for this year won't be seeing finals footy this year predict them to finsh 8-9

9. Chelsea Heights - lost a pile players and they are bloody good ones two. Lockwood was the right bloke for them and got a young list almost to a preliminary final understand they didn't have the funds but from what I heard he didn't ask for a massive increase. Perryman will crack In each week and get his 25 touches but he isn't a great user. Erish Uthaymaker is just about there only young talent and he's a bloody good one two. Matherson is a very smart player but he is in his final stages of his career and it doesn't look like his will be seeing finals footy soon well in Division 1 that is predicted 9-10

10 Bentleigh
Didn't do a whole lot of recruiting this year just going to get the games into the kids McGarry and Larwy easierly there 2 best players. As a team expect them to be really inconsistent due to there young team rank them 6-9

Last edited:
So where is Clayton at ?? Get smashed by East Brighton by 130 points, then absolutely touch up St Kilda City a week later. Is it more an indication of where St Kilda City are at? Or was the effort by Clayton against East Brighton just a real wake up call for the Scanlons etc ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Slow down there big fella... But considering there were a few key outs and 2 first gamers in there (one only just turned 18) you would think there was the 3m ceiling and not the standard Clayton clays 2m style ceiling.

Salary cap would be nearly impossible to police.

If a club picks up three or four recruits and they breach the points system, other clubs will lodge complaints or the AFL will conduct an audit. If a player signs a contract for $$ and gets paid under the table he risks perjury charges. The court takes them seriously and the damage to one's reputation is enormous.

The first clubs caught will be made an example and punished severely. There will be loop holes and no doubt they will be identified and closed quickly.
Questions to consider.
Can the AFL arbitrarily issue an edict that a points and salary cap system will come into effect? Can clubs sue the AFL for damages i.e. loss of income and sponsorship if their brans declines? Is the salary cap enforceable?

Let's hope the AFL does not fast track the dominance of soccer with this plan. If clubs close their doors then there are quite a few soccer clubs waiting in the wings to grab the vacant grounds.

you only say that after we lose... I guess a team can really get the upper hand when they king hit players off the ball and the umpire sends them off for getting blood all over the place...
I still think Mordy are the fourth best team in it this year. Fair effort given where a lot of promoted teams finish.I watched the game on the weekend. I'm not trying to "poke the bear" but Rayson came to this comp with pretty big raps having played over 100 games of VFL. I know he is coming back from a reco but looking at Sportingpulse, 3 games in East Brighton 2's shouldn't be hard to standout in their 2's and his 2 senior games he is hardly setting the comp alight. Is he fit?

I still think Mordy are the fourth best team in it this year. Fair effort given where a lot of promoted teams finish.I watched the game on the weekend. I'm not trying to "poke the bear" but Rayson came to this comp with pretty big raps having played over 100 games of VFL. I know he is coming back from a reco but looking at Sportingpulse, 3 games in East Brighton 2's shouldn't be hard to standout in their 2's and his 2 senior games he is hardly setting the comp alight. Is he fit?

Are the Vamps just easing him back into it?

I'm backing him to peak come September and have a big finals series, quality player.

Rayson did not play East Brighton reserves as per sporting pulse. I believe the SFNL admin are looking into too how played on the day

Rhino, Rayson is doing an Ablett and just easing back into it. Once he's ready, he'll play a few towards the back end / business end of the season and get himself ready for the finals. Look out when he's fit and firing, he's a gun ball magnet and will provide plenty to the Vampires forwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Southern FL Div One 2015

Back