Roast St Kilda in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints can't be taken seriously as an AFL club

You were never going to beat Brisbane but the gameplan is just bizarre. Chipping it sideways as the margin grew higher and higher, and even when its 10 goals - like why not just change it up? They proved last week they can attack. If you lose by 80 it might as well be 80-160 instead of 25-105. At least that way the supporters have something to cheer about and the hit to % isn't as severe.

It's like Ross thinks he can just bore the opposition into submission. With a more attacking coach you'd be in the mix for the finals.

8z830y.jpg

Who the hell at the Saints thought that hiring back Rossy Lyin' was a good idea? The guy can instill a very disciplined defensive game plan that can derive some success in the short term but it's difficult to sustain such a defensively minded game plan in the long term as eventually his teams tire out from playing in that rigid defensive style.

And with little attention paid to the scoring part of the game this what inevitably happens, they get blown wide open by teams that have quality scoring options.

He had some success at his first stint at the Saints and Freo because he was blessed with a quality player list that could deliver enough home and away wins to hide the massive flaws in his defensive game plan, but in finals his out dated obsolete 1 dimensional game plan has been left wanting and now it's not even getting results in the home and away season.

I guess the Saints will get the chance to fire him, which was denied to them the last time he was there. That can be only the reason why they brought him back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who the hell at the Saints thought that hiring back Rossy Lyin' was a good idea? The guy can instill a very disciplined defensive game plan that can derive some success in the short term but it's difficult to sustain such a defensively minded game plan in the long term as eventually his teams tire out from playing in that rigid defensive style.

And with little attention paid to the scoring part of the game this what inevitably happens, they get blown wide open by teams that have quality scoring options.

He had some success at his first stint at the Saints and Freo because he was blessed with a quality player list that could deliver enough home and away wins to hide the massive flaws in his defensive game plan, but in finals his out dated obsolete 1 dimensional game plan has been left wanting and now it's not even getting results in the home and away season.

I guess the Saints will get the chance to fire him, which was denied to them the last time he was there. That can be only the reason why they brought him back.

True, good teams have an attacking defence, Saints don’t have that. They are still playing like it’s the 2000’s

same garbage
republican national convention rnc GIF by Election 2016

Not a lot of media coverage for a team that lost by 85 points on the weekend
The team in 1st place losing by 112 seems like a bigger story than a team in the bottom 6 getting pumped by the flag favourites. Saints had a pretty solid month and played our GF last week. Didn't turn up against Brisbane.

We'll likely lose Battle and take picks 5 and 6 to the draft which hopefully helps improve our terrible midfield.

True, good teams have an attacking defence, Saints don’t have that. They are still playing like it’s the 2000’s
Aren't they top 6 or something for Scoring From D50?

I think I saw King and Montagna discuss this on FoxFooty recently.

Their ball movement and scoring from defence is actually very good. It's their scoring from stoppage that is putrid..

If you look at their midfield, that's no surprise.

If they can fix their midfield, they'll probably be pretty good.

Last edited:
Admittedly I haven’t watched much saints footy, but I watched them against the swans a few weeks back.
That second half was some of the best footy I’ve seen this year. Why don’t they do this more? Or was it a case of the swans switching off?

Admittedly I haven’t watched much saints footy, but I watched them against the swans a few weeks back.
That second half was some of the best footy I’ve seen this year. Why don’t they do this more? Or was it a case of the swans switching off?

I think the team is a bit mentally fragile at the moment. They were full of confidence in the past couple of games and looked like they might be able to keep it going against Brisbane briefly but a few missed set shots and dropped marks seemed to kill their confidence and they were shot from that point.

After having a solid patch where our kids were playing well and GOPs were over performing we were bound to drop off. Could still bounce back and finish the season strong though

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast St Kilda in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

Back