Prediction Starting 23 - Post Bye

Remove this Banner Ad

BeeTee

Senior List
Oct 1, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Assuming that post the bye we have everyone bar Long, Bazzo and Hewett available (Reid misses 1 more) and no new major injuries or suspensions, who plays? Going to be a balancing act with getting the height balance right and playing the kids but surrounding them with experience for guidance and protection.

From the lineup on the weekend Reid, Kelly, Hunt and Oscar all come in. LEdwards, Rotham, Brockman, Jamo are all chances and then do we debut anyone?

Go for it...

Brady HoughTom BarrassTom Cole
Alex WitherdenJeremy McGovernLiam Duggan
Jayden HuntHarley ReidCampbell Chesser
Jack PetruccelleJake WatermanJamie Cripps
Liam RyanOscar AllenJack Darling
Matt FlynnElliot YeoTim Kelly
Reuben GinbeyJai CulleyTyler Brockman
Harry EdwardsRyan Maric

Last edited:
Ideally going forward with availability:

B: Hough Barrass Cole
HB: Duggan McGovern Witherden
C: Hunt Yeo Chesser
HF: Brockman Allen Maric
F: Ryan Waterman Cripps
R: Flynn Kelly Reid

Bench: BWilliams Culley Ginbey Petrucelle

Sub: Hall, Johnston, Dewar, Burgiel

Last edited:

Bailey will be in the team for at least the next 5-6 weeks id imagine. Once Flynn is fully up and running doing 80% time in the ruck we can see what Bailey looks like as a full time forward, if hes no good then in the last few games of the year maybe look at something different. I dont expect Jack Williams to be in the team much more this year.
I think the club likes having a 3rd KPD, and I think they see Harry Edwards being around long term, so he stays.
I think Maric is the one dropped for Allen, Darling will get first shot unfortunately but hopefully Maric can push him out soon enough.
Brockman should come back in too.

FB: Hough TB Cole
HB: Duggan Gov Witho
C: Hunt Reid Chesser
HF: Ryan Waterman Cripps
FF: Brockman Allen Darling
R: Flynn Yeo Kelly

INT: BW Ginbey HEdwards Culley
Sub: Petch

Itd be nice to see Burgiel and Hall get debuts toward the end of the year

Really don't know how our forward line looks when everyone is available.

In my opinion we can only play in starting 22.

2 of Waterman, Allen, Darling,

1 of B.Williams and J.Williams

1 of Maric and Hutchison

4 of Ryan, Cripps, Brockman, JJones, Dewar, Petch

Allen and Waterman are automatics and JD has actually been playing good footy. Unfortuantely you arent putting any of these 3 in as your second ruck for Flynny, so you have to include BWilliams. If we have Oscar, Snake, Baz and JD we are far too tall and immobile.

Maric although has similar height, is far more athletic and can play the hybrid, half forward/wing link up role.

Can't see them dropping Jack, especially considering his form has been alright, so Would love Maric to get to half back, at least to trial and Play as the third tall. Only issue with this is, that the club like Gov in that role and his size isn't good enough yet to play on the KPF.

I would think this is best 23 with all but Bazzo, Long and Hewett available.

Hough Barrass Maric
Witherden Gov Duggan
Chesser Kelly Hunt
Cripps Allen Brockman
Ryan Waterman Darling
Flynn Reid Yeo

Cole, Ginbey, BWilliams, Petch
Sub - Culley

I think this is a pretty balanced side.

Petch, Ryan and Brockman all to give a chop out in the midfield at times.

Culley add's versatility as he can play forward or mid.

Really don't know how our forward line looks when everyone is available.

In my opinion we can only play in starting 22.

2 of Waterman, Allen, Darling,

1 of B.Williams and J.Williams

1 of Maric and Hutchison

4 of Ryan, Cripps, Brockman, JJones, Dewar, Petch

Allen and Waterman are automatics and JD has actually been playing good footy. Unfortuantely you arent putting any of these 3 in as your second ruck for Flynny, so you have to include BWilliams. If we have Oscar, Snake, Baz and JD we are far too tall and immobile.

Maric although has similar height, is far more athletic and can play the hybrid, half forward/wing link up role.

Can't see them dropping Jack, especially considering his form has been alright, so Would love Maric to get to half back, at least to trial and Play as the third tall. Only issue with this is, that the club like Gov in that role and his size isn't good enough yet to play on the KPF.

I would think this is best 23 with all but Bazzo, Long and Hewett available.

Hough Barrass Maric
Witherden Gov Duggan
Chesser Kelly Hunt
Cripps Allen Brockman
Ryan Waterman Darling
Flynn Reid Yeo

Cole, Ginbey, BWilliams, Petch
Sub - Culley

I think this is a pretty balanced side.

Petch, Ryan and Brockman all to give a chop out in the midfield at times.

Culley add's versatility as he can play forward or mid.
I like it mate...Good effort.

Only issue for me is the backline is lacking a bit of run/creativity.
To make to team a bit more dynamic. personally I'd play Ryan HBF (distributor/run role), drop Darling for Hutchinson too.

Having a surplus of players who can play a position feels like an absurd luxury after the last couple of years and we are, once again, overstocked for tall forwards. Our KPD stocks are worrying...I think Bazzo has just missed far too much football through his development years now to ever get there. Edwards is like Barrass from Wish at best and Jamieson might make it as a key backman.

Bwilliams is struggling with his role change it seems but might come right. it's really Bailey improving his forward craft vs Jack improving his ruck craft for the next year or two as Barnett and Reid develop in the WAFL.

Post bye I would like to see, assuming full availability bar our long termers

HB: Duggan Gov Hunt
C: Kelly Ginbey Chesser
HF: Darling Waterman Brockman
F: Cripps Allen Ryan
Foll: Flynn, Yeo, Reid

I: Billiams, Dewar, Culley, Maric

Hutchison I think might be the Darling replacement if/when Jack hangs them up. Maric needs to be experimented with as third defensive tall option and also as a linking half forward. His field kicking could be a really damaging tool for us as we look to improve our ball movement.

2KPD, 2KPF, 2Ruck/Fwd, 2 Utility/3rd Tall types.
4 small/med defenders + Yeo, Chess, Maric, Ginbey can rotate through there
4 small/med fwds inc Dewar + Culley, TK, Reid, Maric can rotate through there
6 mids inc Culley + Ryan, Dewar, Duggan, Brockman, Hunt can rotate through there

Hopefully the midfield load is able to be spread more, without becoming completely uncompetitive when the prime movers are getting their required chop outs. It's a work in progress.

There is a good chance that Petch is preferred over Dewar or Culley at this stage and that's probably fine. I just would like to see more Dewar and I think Culley is better option to give us more inside contest capability. There is always an argument for Petch speed but he still seems to struggle to bring that to the table each game for some reason.

The tall to medium forward scenario is the most interesting I think.

Allan
Waterman
Darling
B. Williams
Maric
J. Williams
Hutchinson

Allan and Waterman play - ideally CHF and FF respectively given Waterman’s form as the main target.

Darling plays too - and the reason I think this is key is that very few teams have a 3rd-best tall defender that matches Darling 1 on 1. Bailey Williams can be matched up with a resting ruckman as he hasn’t exactly mastered ‘forward craft’ as yet but Darling I think would take advantage of a match up like that.

Is there room for both Darling and B. Williams (and Matt Flynn) - I think…yes, but it’s going to push the role further up the ground, more of a half forward onto the wing - Darling already plays this role a lot of the time as it is, I think he and Bailey Williams rotate through that position with Bailey providing the chop out in the ruck.

Maric is probably right on the edge of selection - as some have suggested it might well be worth a look at his in the backline - he’s got some great skills and should be playing as much as possible. I don’t think he’ll ever be a key forward but a tall half forward/half back is very possible.

Does it become Harry Edwards vs Josh Rotham vs Ryan Maric?

Jacks Williams and Hutchinson will bide their time for now.

HB: Duggan McGovern Witherden
C: Ginbey Yeo Chesser
HF: Darling Allen Maric
F: Ryan Waterman Cripps
R: Flynn Kelly Reid

Bench: BWilliams Hunt Rotham Petrucelle
Sub: Dewar

Some handy depth in HEdwards, Brockman, JWilliams, Jones, Culley etc

So looking at the team from the weekend's horror show, I've bolded the guys on the edge of selection.

FB: Hough, Barrass, Witherden
HB: HEdwards, McGovern, Duggan
C: Culley, Sheed, Gaff
HF:
Petruccelle, Waterman, Cripps
FF: Ryan, Darling, BWilliams
R:
Flynn, Yeo, Ginbey
I: Jones, Chesser, Cole, Hutchinson, Maric*

Now of those 10 I'm pretty happy to put a line through Sheed, Gaff, Jones & Hutchinson as only getting games if we get another injury crisis.
The first 2 have been spoken about across the board as being past it, and Jones is a bit too loose for mine.
On Hutchinson, I was not convinced at all seeing him on the weekend. Yes first year player, but he's got a lot of work to do to play in a very competitive role.

Of the other 5, I am a massive fan of Culley, Chesser & Maric. I really like those guys & what they bring to the table, so should be prioritised games for the rest of the season imo.
Would like to see Culley in a tagging/blocking role (especially once Harley is back), Chesser on the wing, and Maric to either continue as a forward flanker or pushing up the ground to utilise his excellent kicking skills.

So that leaves HEdwards, Darling & BWilliams. A lot depends on weekly matchups, and how we integrate Oscar into the forward line. Land of the giants never works well, so BWilliams will have to really show a lot up forward to retain his spot as I think Flynn could easily be solo ruck. Not sure Bailey can hold his spot, but Darling too will have to perform to stay in.
I do like Harry in theory, as he allows Gov to play a much looser role where he excels, but Harry's kicking is atrocious (plus his losing streak is embarrassing).
Now as many have suggested perhaps Maric moves to defence at his expense, but in my view that wouldn't allow Gov the freedom to roam & intercept, so Harry stays (or a smaller player comes in).

With all that said, we have some quality inclusions coming back after the bye (Reid, Hunt, Allen, Kelly, Hewett).
Hewett might find it harder to get back in after missing so much footy, but even if we can get him in for a game or 2 at the end of the season we should try.

Harley for Sheed, Hunt for Gaff, Kelly for Jones, Oscar for Hutchinson are pretty straightforward changes.
Chesser, Petch, Culley, other youngster would then be candidates for sub (don't like Maric being the sub).

That would make the best 23 post bye look like this.

C: Maric, Kelly, Hunt
HF: Darling, Allen, Cripps
FF: Ryan, Waterman, Petruccelle
R: Flynn, Yeo, Reid
I: Ginbey, Chesser, Cole, Culley, Player X*
E: BWilliams, Rotham, Hewett, Bazzo

AFL Best 22.

B:
Duggan (C), Barrass, Maric
HB: Cole, Gov, Hough
C: Hunt, Reid, Kelly
HF: Ryan, Allen (C), Cripps
F: Darling, Waterman, Petch
R: Flynn, Yeo, Ginbey
I/C: Culley, Brockman, Chesser, Burgiel (Once Hewett is fit later in the year then switch out one of them)
Sub: JJ or Dewar
Emer: B.Williams, Hall, Johnston, Dewar or JJ

WAFL 22.

B: Player, H.Edwards, Bazzo
HB: Player, Jamieson, Rotham
C: L.Edwards, Trew, Gaff (For good unless injuries)
HF: Dewar or JJ, A.Reid, Rawlinson
F: Baker, J.Williams, Hutchinson
R: B.Williams or Barnett, Hall, Sheed (For good unless injuries)
I/C: Livingstone, Player, Player, Player

• Long out for the season: So won't be mentioned. However they maybe more season ending injuries especially if Waterman's shoulder is much worst than feared which forces him to do a season ending surgery.
  • Why Maric down back?: Because the team needs an elite kick being able to distribute the ball down back which is very crucial when starting fast rebound transitions. Can he play on a genuine key forward is one thing but no one in the backline are elite kicks except for Gov and even then he's no Jetta and Hurn with his kicking ability. Having someone who can pick targets to start transitions is very crucial. I'm sure we can find someone who's an elite kick in the midfield (Yeo and Reid maybe).
  • My ruck plan once Flynn goes off: My team doesn't have a second ruck because the team already has three tall forwards so we can't afford to play another ruck otherwise it will make the team too top heavy especially in the wet. As unpopular as this sounds, Gov can ruck when Flynn is resting and we can send Allen down back to replace Gov and Barrass can play Gov's role. Either Culley can go forward during that time or can tag in the midfield so the club can have a small forward line. Ideally Flynn could ruck 80-85% of the match if he gets up to fitness.
  • If we really really want to play a second ruck: Unfortunately one of Allen, Waterman and Darling has to sit out otherwise we'll be too top heavy which will negatively affect the team's forward pressure and we'll see the oppo waltz it out with ease over and over again. Unless we play J and B.Williams as a key defender at the expense of Maric which isn't ideal especially that Bailey's kicking is too RNG. Now if Waterman does have his season ending surgery (apparently its just a precaution with the strapping though) then it would be a no brainer to have one of the Williams in as second ruck.
  • Allen should start off in the WAFL: I had him as my starter but in reality he will need at least a WAFL match before he is match ready due to being out for since round 1.
  • Culley should be a tagger: Sheed as a tagger to me isn't really intimidating since a strong midfield bull can simply push Sheed off and lacks defensive presence for it. Culley as slow as he is, actually tries hard and can actually stick tackles. Taggers have been very important in our 2018 run when Hutch shutdown the oppo's most damaging mid which stops them from having a big impact.
  • Thank you for your services Gaff and Sheed, you two are absolute legends to the club :)However they aren't in my team because everyone knows that they're too slow and lack any defensive presence. Sheed is a big culprit of getting beaten and having the audacity to point to his teammates to chase HIS opponent but thank you Sheed for that 2018 GF goal you legend. They can still play if the team has an injury crisis though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club isn’t going to drop Jack Darling when he is on track to play game 300 at the Cattery in Round 24.

Needs to play every remaining game to get there.

What I think we'll see...

C: Chesser Kelly Ginbey
HF: Darling Waterman Cripps
F: Culley Allen Ryan

I: B Williams, Petrol, Culley, Maric, Sheed

What I'd like to see... (Changes in bold)

C: Ginbey Kelly Chesser
HF: Darling Waterman Cripps
F: Petrol Allen Ryan

I: J Williams, Culley, Maric, Brockman, Dewar (rotating sub)

What I'm looking forward to later in the year...

C: Ginbey Kelly Chesser
HF: Darling Waterman Brockman
F: Petrol Allen Ryan
I: J Williams, Culley, Maric, Hewett, Cripps (not sure about the sub)

Last edited:
I'd like to see if Ryan Maric could be developed as a winger a bit like Mason Wood.
Needs to develop his engine but would be great to have him kicking to our leading forwards and drifting forward for a mark.

I'd like to see if Ryan Maric could be developed as a winger a bit like Mason Wood.
Needs to develop his engine but would be great to have him kicking to our leading forwards and drifting forward for a mark.
We could have Chris Judd on the wing and he would still rack up sub 15 touches each week in our current system.

Our wings are a wasteland position.

AFL Best 22.

B:
Duggan (C), Barrass, Maric
HB: Cole, Gov, Hough
C: Hunt, Reid, Kelly
HF: Ryan, Allen (C), Cripps
F: Darling, Waterman, Petch
R: Flynn, Yeo, Ginbey
I/C: Culley, Brockman, Chesser, Burgiel (Once Hewett is fit later in the year then switch out one of them)
Sub: JJ or Dewar
Emer: B.Williams, Hall, Johnston, Dewar or JJ

WAFL 22.

B: Player, H.Edwards, Bazzo
HB: Player, Jamieson, Rotham
C: L.Edwards, Trew, Gaff (For good unless injuries)
HF: Dewar or JJ, A.Reid, Rawlinson
F: Baker, J.Williams, Hutchinson
R: B.Williams or Barnett, Hall, Sheed (For good unless injuries)
I/C: Livingstone, Player, Player, Player

• Long out for the season: So won't be mentioned. However they maybe more season ending injuries especially if Waterman's shoulder is much worst than feared which forces him to do a season ending surgery.
  • Why Maric down back?: Because the team needs an elite kick being able to distribute the ball down back which is very crucial when starting fast rebound transitions. Can he play on a genuine key forward is one thing but no one in the backline are elite kicks except for Gov and even then he's no Jetta and Hurn with his kicking ability. Having someone who can pick targets to start transitions is very crucial. I'm sure we can find someone who's an elite kick in the midfield (Yeo and Reid maybe).
  • My ruck plan once Flynn goes off: My team doesn't have a second ruck because the team already has three tall forwards so we can't afford to play another ruck otherwise it will make the team too top heavy especially in the wet. As unpopular as this sounds, Gov can ruck when Flynn is resting and we can send Allen down back to replace Gov and Barrass can play Gov's role. Either Culley can go forward during that time or can tag in the midfield so the club can have a small forward line. Ideally Flynn could ruck 80-85% of the match if he gets up to fitness.
  • If we really really want to play a second ruck: Unfortunately one of Allen, Waterman and Darling has to sit out otherwise we'll be too top heavy which will negatively affect the team's forward pressure and we'll see the oppo waltz it out with ease over and over again. Unless we play J and B.Williams as a key defender at the expense of Maric which isn't ideal especially that Bailey's kicking is too RNG. Now if Waterman does have his season ending surgery (apparently its just a precaution with the strapping though) then it would be a no brainer to have one of the Williams in as second ruck.
  • Allen should start off in the WAFL: I had him as my starter but in reality he will need at least a WAFL match before he is match ready due to being out for since round 1.
  • Culley should be a tagger: Sheed as a tagger to me isn't really intimidating since a strong midfield bull can simply push Sheed off and lacks defensive presence for it. Culley as slow as he is, actually tries hard and can actually stick tackles. Taggers have been very important in our 2018 run when Hutch shutdown the oppo's most damaging mid which stops them from having a big impact.
  • Thank you for your services Gaff and Sheed, you two are absolute legends to the club :)However they aren't in my team because everyone knows that they're too slow and lack any defensive presence. Sheed is a big culprit of getting beaten and having the audacity to point to his teammates to chase HIS opponent but thank you Sheed for that 2018 GF goal you legend. They can still play if the team has an injury crisis though.
Gov to ruck and Oscar to go back o_O

No chance in the world that this happens

This sounds incredibly awkward and probably wouldnt work. Every quarter at some stage we would be bringing Allen all the way up the ground into the backline, Gov into the ruck, then swapping back a few mins later. Youd need Allen to be all the way up the ground before Flynn went off so it wouldnt leave us vulnerable.
There is a reason every team runs their backup ruck in the forward line, you just dont mess with your back 6/7 structure, its way easier to take a tall from your forward line.
Itd have to be one of Allen/Darling/Waterman as the chop out ruck if we dont have a Williams tbh

The rest seems good though

The alternative is have someone like a Culley or a Maric do as Kennedy/Cripps do for Carlton and chop out for 5-7 mins a quarter, however Flynn's tank probably isn't at the level of De Koning at Carlton.

I think structually a forward line of

Allen, Waterman, Darling, Maric and the smalls

is much better off than Baz added in.

So looking at the team from the weekend's horror show, I've bolded the guys on the edge of selection.

C: Culley, Sheed, Gaff
HF:
Petruccelle, Waterman, Cripps
FF: Ryan, Darling, BWilliams
R:
Flynn, Yeo, Ginbey
I: Jones, Chesser, Cole, Hutchinson, Maric*

Now of those 10 I'm pretty happy to put a line through Sheed, Gaff, Jones & Hutchinson as only getting games if we get another injury crisis.
The first 2 have been spoken about across the board as being past it, and Jones is a bit too loose for mine.
On Hutchinson, I was not convinced at all seeing him on the weekend. Yes first year player, but he's got a lot of work to do to play in a very competitive role.

Of the other 5, I am a massive fan of Culley, Chesser & Maric. I really like those guys & what they bring to the table, so should be prioritised games for the rest of the season imo.
Would like to see Culley in a tagging/blocking role (especially once Harley is back), Chesser on the wing, and Maric to either continue as a forward flanker or pushing up the ground to utilise his excellent kicking skills.

So that leaves HEdwards, Darling & BWilliams. A lot depends on weekly matchups, and how we integrate Oscar into the forward line. Land of the giants never works well, so BWilliams will have to really show a lot up forward to retain his spot as I think Flynn could easily be solo ruck. Not sure Bailey can hold his spot, but Darling too will have to perform to stay in.
I do like Harry in theory, as he allows Gov to play a much looser role where he excels, but Harry's kicking is atrocious (plus his losing streak is embarrassing).
Now as many have suggested perhaps Maric moves to defence at his expense, but in my view that wouldn't allow Gov the freedom to roam & intercept, so Harry stays (or a smaller player comes in).

With all that said, we have some quality inclusions coming back after the bye (Reid, Hunt, Allen, Kelly, Hewett).
Hewett might find it harder to get back in after missing so much footy, but even if we can get him in for a game or 2 at the end of the season we should try.

Harley for Sheed, Hunt for Gaff, Kelly for Jones, Oscar for Hutchinson are pretty straightforward changes.
Chesser, Petch, Culley, other youngster would then be candidates for sub (don't like Maric being the sub).

That would make the best 23 post bye look like this.

C: Maric, Kelly, Hunt
HF: Darling, Allen, Cripps
FF: Ryan, Waterman, Petruccelle
R: Flynn, Yeo, Reid
I: Ginbey, Chesser, Cole, Culley, Player X*
E: BWilliams, Rotham, Hewett, Bazzo

I like the team, but Harry Edwards isn't a half-back flanker. Rotham is better there. Love Maric on the wing, especially opposed to Cox.

I’d like to see gaff and sheed get as much game time as possible as they have credits in the bank.
One small correction …

I’d like to see Gaff and Sheed get as much WAFL game time as possible.

But seriously it would improve both teams. Ressies normally have a few older past-their-prime guys who mentor the young players.

We heard Gaff was doing a good job with that and we know Sheed is exceptional at pointing things out.

One small correction …

I’d like to see Gaff and Sheed get as much WAFL game time as possible.

But seriously it would improve both teams. Ressies normally have a few older past-their-prime guys who mentor the young players.

We heard Gaff was doing a good job with that and we know Sheed is exceptional at pointing things out.
The pointing coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back