News Swans Talk in the Media: 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Announcement: Swans YouTube Channel
So thanks to the awesome Kennedy Parker you will notice a sticky post at the top of the pages now. This link will take you directly to the Swans YouTube channel which features interviews etc.

But is it not his brother talking , if so it can go here . The only reason i go there is to check whether 88 can increase his lead. No reason it can't go on both please.

AFL draft 2021: East Fremantle’s Corey Warner meets with Sydney Swans, dreams of brotherly reunion with Chad

East Fremantle running machine Corey Warner believes he could complement his brother Chad in Sydney’s midfield if given the opportunity in next month’s AFL national draft.

The left-footer winger smashed his personal best time in Sunday’s 2km time trial at WA draft combine, clocking in at 6min 20sec to edge out Claremont and Wesley College speedster Arthur Jones (6min 30sec) and finish a brilliant season on a high.

He also topped the standing vertical jump (76cm) and running right-hand jump (100cm) and came second in the running left-hand jump (92cm).

The Aquinas College skipper, who met with Swans recruiters a few weeks ago, is a different type of player to his eldest brother, an AFL rising star nominee and tough nut inside midfielder.

But he doesn’t think that’s a bad thing and can’t help but dream about a Warner brothers reunion at the Swans.

“I interviewed with Sydney a few weeks ago and it was a pretty exciting one,” Warner revealed.

“Obviously my brother is there and it would be a dream to play with him so I’d be very keen for that.

“I’m definitely different to my brother but I think we could work pretty well together.”

The 18-year-old has ticked every box he wanted to so far this year, including his major goal of playing State footy.

He even surprised himself by breaking into East Fremantle’s league side for four consecutive matches, something his brother couldn’t achieve.

“It’s been an exciting season, I think I played for four different teams so it’s been non-stop but I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it,” Warner said.

“The biggest goal for me at the start of the season was to make that State team so to do that was a really big thing for me to tick off.

“Playing league was something I didn’t really think about at the start of the year, so that was a bit of a bonus.

“I only started training with the league side the week before I made my debut, so it came pretty quick that’s for sure.”

Corey has regularly leaned on his sibling, who has made appearances since getting drafted with pick 39 in the 2019 national draft, for advice about making it as an AFL footballer and even had the chance to follow his pre-season program last year.

“He ended up going lower than expected as well and probably wasn’t someone that was hyped up too much,” he said.

“But seeing his hard work and even getting to train with him last pre-season with an AFL program was a really good way to get into it.

“Even this year I’ve trained with him when he’s been back from COVID lockdowns which is great to see what it’s like.”

Aquinas College midfield coach Lucas Fielding predicted the Warners could become the AFL’s next Selwood brothers with two more, 14-year-old Ashton and 11-year-old Troy, coming through the ranks.

Ashton is hoping to break into the school’s first XVIII next season as a Year 10.

“They’re both at Aquinas as well, I think is keen to play first XVIII footy next year as a Year 10, that’s definitely a goal of his,” Corey said.

“They’ve both got plenty of potential.”

WA Football Commission State talent manager Adam Jones sees plenty of similar traits between the two oldest Warner brothers and backed Corey to find his way onto an AFL list.

“Corey has got similar traits to his brother in terms of his coachability and how driven and dedicated he is towards his footy,” Jones said.

“He’s an outside player with elite-level run and a very good kick.

“He needs to keep working on his disposal efficiency but we feel there’s enough interest in him to get him onto an AFL list.”

19OCT21: Sam Reid re-signs/SEN
Well that question is now settled - a 1 year deal for Sam Reid

From the Herald Sun:

More than 100 footballers are without a club after being delisted but some might get another chance. These are the most likely to find a new club.

Matt Ling (Sydney Swans)

It’s been one injury after another for the No.14 pick in the 2017 draft. Ling was supposed to be a key piece in the Swans’ uprising with his blistering speed and kicking skills but played only four games in as many seasons. Might be the perfect rebuilding project for a club if they think they can get him fit and realise his potential.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aussie Jones on SEN saying that Will Papley is better at the same age as Tom and is worth a shot
So potentially we could have McCartin brothers, warner bros.jpg and the Papley brothers :)

25OCT21: lazybits/Fox Sports
Every clubs biggest issue for 2021

Genuinely don't think these people even know anything about our team.

- Obvious to anyone watching this year that the midfield revolved around Parker and Mills, not Parker and JPK.

- They cite Hewett as a midfield loss, but as has been well-covered, he didn't go into the midfield until round 15.

- Literally the first interview Horse did post-season, he mentioned that Heeney would be getting more midfield time.

- Rowbottom and Warner even exist to these blokes or...?

- Whoever we draft this year won't be seeing any midfield time unless there are injuries.

- Would've thought it plainly obvious that what we are lacking more than midfield depth is key defender depth, given that we had Fox playing key defender for most of this year.

- Obvious to anyone watching this year that the midfield revolved around Parker and Mills, not Parker and JPK.

- They cite Hewett as a midfield loss, but as has been well-covered, he didn't go into the midfield until round 15.

- Literally the first interview Horse did post-season, he mentioned that Heeney would be getting more midfield time.

- Whoever we draft this year won't be seeing any midfield time unless there are injuries.

- Would've thought it plainly obvious that what we are lacking more than midfield depth is key defender depth, given that we had Fox playing key defender for most of this year.
& No mention of Mills as crucial to our midfield now. NFI

Last edited:

exactly what i thought ... same old mainstream footy ignorance
not mentioning mills just makes a fool of whoever wrote this ... even in that limited space, he had to get a mention if they were going to highlight parker/kennedy and the 'next generation' as the key to sydney's next season ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back