Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

4th is bare minimum. And I am being like the AFL and compromising myself. 2nd is a pass. First is expected. I am excited more than I have ever been I think, about our prospects. The addition of Grundy is like an angel sent from heaven. Adams management contacting us says he wants to play and succeed with us. Hamling is the sleeper. Could be huge. Jordon has added premiership depth. We lacked that last year. We have 3 mids who have been on the list for 3 years. 4th year breakout? Now some may push for best 23. But as always, the season has its up and it has its downs. Injuries are a part of every season. We need depth. Depth can become best 23 and stay there. That happens. Then we have players with a lot of experience on the sidelines and players with few games proving themselves. Like I said, I am more excited about this year than I have ever been.
I'm hopeful, but think top 4 as a 'bare minimum' is way too high of an expectation.

We just scrambled into the 8 last year and were totally bullied in the first half of that final.

I'm hopeful, but think top 4 as a 'bare minimum' is way too high of an expectation.

We just scrambled into the 8 last year and were totally bullied in the first half of that final.
After we copped.the worst first half of our season injuries wise in years and then spent the entire second half of the season catching up. We were cooked. Would have been a completely different store if half our injuries didn't occur.

After we copped.the worst first half of our season injuries wise in years and then spent the entire second half of the season catching up. We were cooked. Would have been a completely different store if half our injuries didn't occur.

All of that doesn't mean we should just expect to be top 4 next season.

Yep, 2022 we made the Granny with a good run with injuries
2023, I reckon we were a better team, but injuries crucified us. Horse said we had the 2nd worst amount of injuries after West Coast. We had injuries to 12 KPPs at one stage.
2024, We're a better team again.
Our young tall forwards are all a year older and more experienced
Our young mids are all a year older and more experienced + Grundy could be HUGE + Adams & Jordan add as well.

With a half decent injury list, the only reason we finish outside the top 4 is because the comp is very even
I expect us to play finals, I hope for top 4

All of that doesn't mean we should just expect to be top 4 next season.
You have to read between the lines.
KPD
We were on track until Paddy went down. About game 4 or 5 or whatever. That stuffed us up. We had no tall backup. Especially of his class. We lacked talls. We have 7 KPDs. Some I admit have questions, but they are there and in preseason.
RUCK
We have picked up Grundy. Ruck covered with Ladhams and Stretch in reserve.
MIDS
We were short on experience in the midfield. We picked up Adams and Jordon. We also have a lot of mids that have done 2-3 preseasons now that will be contending for a spot in the best 23. We have experience and youth contending.
Forwards
Talls-McDonald, McLean and Amartey are the talls. On a good day they are all match winners.
Mediums-Heeney and Haywood
Smalls-Wicks + Konstanty

I am happy with the side. It has experience and depth at all levels. We were tracking well until Paddy went down. We have bolstered that part of the ground. We have bolstered the mids. The forward talls are our least experienced players but all have enough games to confidently say they belong in the team. Performances will be key here. Performances will count as to whether we drop a tall and go small IMO. Hopefully Konstanty is ready. Some mids may move here too. We have a stack of mids to fit in.

The side is young. Especially in the midfield and forwards-tall. But very talented. There is a lot of improvement. I expect a lot of improvement in the midfield. I expect Grundy will also add in this area. The forwards have clean air without Buddy dominating their headspace.
With a good amount of luck with injuries I think we will hurt sides. I want to see relentless destruction of opposing sides. We have the talent. We have the experience now.

Bring it on.

I want to see us unleash remorseless destruction of opposing sides. With a deeper more experienced midfield I see this as probable.

Last edited:
KPD
We were on track until Paddy went down. About game 4 or 5 or whatever. That stuffed us up. We had no tall backup. Especially of his class. We lacked talls. We have 7 KPDs. Some I admit have questions, but they are there and in preseason.
RUCK
MIDS
We were short on experience in the midfield. We picked up Adams and Jordon. We also have a lot of mids that have done 2-3 preseasons now that will be contending for a spot in the best 23. We have experience and youth contending.
Forwards
Talls-McDonald, McLean and Amartey are the talls. On a good day they are all match winners.
Smalls-Wicks + Konstanty

I am happy with the side. It has experience and depth at all levels. We were tracking well until Paddy went down. We have bolstered that part of the ground. We have bolstered the mids. The forward talls are our least experienced players but all have enough games to confidently say they belong in the team. Performances will be key here. Performances will count as to whether we drop a tall and go small IMO. Hopefully Konstanty is ready. Some mids may move here too. We have a stack of mids to fit in.

The side is young. Especially in the midfield and forwards-tall. But very talented. There is a lot of improvement. I expect a lot of improvement in the midfield. I expect Grundy will also add in this area. The forwards have clean air without Buddy dominating their headspace.
With a good amount of luck with injuries I think we will hurt sides. I want to see relentless destruction of opposing sides. We have the talent. We have the experience now.

Bring it on.

I want to see us unleash remorseless destruction of opposing sides. With a deeper midfield I see this as probable.

I understand all the reasons why we could be, and probably should be, a better team in 2024.

But there are a lot of good teams in the competition and they all think they are going to improve as well.

I think top 4 as a 'bare minimum' expectation is homer/one-eyed supporter talk.

I understand all the reasons why we could be, and probably should be, a better team in 2024.

But there are a lot of good teams in the competition and they all think they are going to improve as well.

homer/one-eyed supporter talk.

That is the way I roll. I am always confident.

KPD
RUCK
MIDS
Forwards
Smalls-Wicks + Konstanty

Bring it on.

I want to see us unleash remorseless destruction of opposing sides. With a deeper more experienced midfield I see this as probable.
There is a lot to be positive about and given a reasonable injury run we should be there or thereabouts. We need Melican, Hamling or both to play up to the standard and one of Amartey, Buller or Ladhams to crush the third tall role to give ourselves a hot chance of making top 4. We have the best depth and competition for spots that I can recall. There looks to be plenty of motivation around. If not now, when?

08JAN24: Swans Daily Media
Milestones this year:
Luke Parker: 300 games
Jake Lloyd & Dane Rampe: 250 games

Club changes for 2024 - or you can go to our Draft & Trade mega thread and never return from the black hole of bending time, space and reality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't disagree with this but top 4 should be an expectation but not bare minimum if that makes sense. Its time.

Sam Edmund said this morning he expects Hawthorn and Sydney to make contract offers for Ugle-Hagan that will shock everyone with their length and money. He wasn't reporting it as news though, was just a predicition.

Which got me thinking that maybe the supposed Naughton offer was the first of a two-part strategy to ensure the Bulldogs paid the full amount for him, before the much bigger play for Ugle-Hagan a year later.

That's just a conspiracy theory, but I do think the offers for Ugle-Hagan are going to be the biggest offers ever made to a player whether it is from us or someone else. You'd have to think those vic clubs that have been down the bottom for ages would have the salary cap space to offer $2mil+ a season to try and get him out.

Last edited:
Sam Edmund said this morning he expects Hawthorn and Sydney to make contract offers for Ugle-Hagan that will shock everyone with their length and money. He wasn't reporting it as news though, was just a predicition.

Which got me thinking that maybe the supposed Naughton offer was the first part of a two-bit strategy to ensure the Bulldogs paid the full amount for him, before the much bigger play for Ugle-Hagan a year later.

That's just a conspiracy theory, but I do think the offers for Ugle-Hagan are going to be the biggest offers ever made to a player whether it is from us or someone else. You'd have to think those vic clubs that have been down the bottom for ages would have the salary cap space to offer $2mil+ a season to try and get him out.
I don't think we can compete with Hawthorn and similar clubs dollar wise. Especially Melbourne clubs.

We need to re-sign Gulden, Cunningham, Florent, Rowbottom, Hayward and McDonald amoung others. A few of those will need upgrades.

Ugle-Hagan might, however, want on field success. If you look at our history of finals and a great team harmony, that may be a drawcard for him. We won't overpay as he has not done anything yet. Hawthorn would overpay I reckon.

The other thing to keep in mind is if we bid up the price, or are perceived to be in the race for JUH, and Hawthorn win then that reduces their available salary cap by the amount we upped the offer. So even if we lose we may still have a win. Some things are not just black and white. Some games are played off field too.

Last edited:
I don't think we can compete with Hawthorn and similar clubs dollar wise. Especially Melbourne clubs.

We need to re-sign Gulden, Cunningham, Florent, Rowbottom, Hayward and McDonald amoung others. A few of those will need upgrades.

Ugle-Hagan might, however, want on field success. If you look at our history of finals and a great team harmony, that may be a drawcard for him. We won't overpay as he has not done anything yet. Hawthorn would overpay I reckon.

The other thing to keep in mind is if we bid up the price, or are perceived to be in the race for JUH, and Hawthorn win then that reduces their available salary cap by the amount we upped the offer. So even if we lose we may still have a win. Some things are not just black and white. Some games are played off field too.
If Hawthorn push for the 8 they'll get him

10JAN24: Swans Daily Media

Wayward is tradable , oops wrong thread

Wayward is tradable , oops wrong thread
Half forward for medium forwards is the hardest position IMO to shine. I have said this before.
Smalls are to nimble. Talls are too tall. Mids are selfish and take all the glory. You are stuck in the middle.

Cunningham played the same position and found himself out of the team. It is hard.

Hayward is not tradeable. He is a great two way runner. His pace up forward is a weapon.

Last edited:
Half forward for medium forwards is the hardest position IMO to shine. I have said this before.
Smalls are to nimble. Talls are too tall. Mids are selfish and take all the glory. You are stuck in the middle.

Cunningham played the same position and found himself out of the tea. It is hard.

Hayward is not tradeable. He is a great two way runner. His pace up forward is a weapon.
80% are tradable , i really hope he can go better

Eh, some mature pieces to bolt on for a flag tilt was what the list required most could see that

Using HHK as some smoking gun and saying that he wouldn't be delisted otherwise is a bit of a stretch. We just drafted a project ruck with our first and to suggest Horse has pressed some retirement button and is chopping up the list seems a bit sensational. He may retire anyway but connecting all those dots incorrectly isn't the proof

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back