Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing that is very noticeable is that the media is not asking the club (interviews) about warner and his potential to move. This makes me feel like the club is aware of his intentions and has instructed the media not bring it up as to not create a Firestorm of a distraction

One thing that is very noticeable is that the media is not asking the club (interviews) about warner and his potential to move. This makes me feel like the club is aware of his intentions and has instructed the media not bring it up as to not create a Firestorm of a distraction
It got brought up in our 150th presser with Harley?

Chad might take it you know. He'll have no need for premierships because he'd have already won two by then. So he might as well go for the cash.

Rampe will probably retire by 2026 so hopefully we can use that extra money to tempt chad to stay for a few more years in a winning team.
If he helps us win the next 2 premierships, I won’t give 2 hoots if he leaves after 2025 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I'd hope noone is surprised by the number, the salary cap is going from 13.5m to 17.7m next year.

There are currently 19 players on >$1m/year (at 13.5m salary cap).

If chad was playing for another team and you told me for 1.5m/year we could have him I'd be tempted.

Frankly I dont think it will come down to money anyway, Chad will be well paid whether he goes or stays.
If he goes to WA (which lets be honest where there is smoke often there is fire), it wont be because we dont put a very good offer infront of him.

edit:

Anyway we have him for at least the next 18 mths, lets enjoy that, hope it brings a premiership or 2.

18 months on pretty minimal wages too I'd suggest

GWS are rolling out young Gruzewski for his debut against us. Looks a nice moving big unit for a 19 yr old, going by the highlights reel.

Did anyone else notice how long his goal-kicking runup is? We're gonna need a bigger ground.

Mods, this is from a media article but if you think it belongs in the GWS game preview I bow to your judgement.

If the media could get any traction on this story they'd flog it to death but it's hardly a big news item.

"Good player expects new contract offer towards end of next year. Other clubs doing some early tyre kicking"

Yawn...the story practically writes itself.

You see it each year, a team has a blessed run with injuries and makes it all the way or almost all the way. Lions were it last year, and Crows, to a lesser extent, benefitted from a healthy list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

21JUN24: Swans Daily Media New
No love lost

Last edited:
This worries me
Why? In the sense of “why worry”? If we get injuries (and we probably will), we get them. There’s no guarantee that the teams who have already suffered injuries will not continue to get them.

Our lack of soft tissue injuries - I can’t recall one since the season began - could be luck but just as likely indicates a training and fitness sweet spot.

Collision injuries (including concussions) are unpredictable and largely uncontrollable.

Why? In the sense of “why worry”? If we get injuries (and we probably will), we get them. There’s no guarantee that the teams who have already suffered injuries will not continue to get them.

Our lack of soft tissue injuries - I can’t recall one since the season began - could be luck but just as likely indicates a training and fitness sweet spot.

Collision injuries (including concussions) are unpredictable and largely uncontrollable.
Just keep them away from chain-link fences, NFL footballs and open grate drains

He's stating the obvious, but it's also the obvious that no one speaks of.

We were in great nick in 2005 and 2012.

Injuries destroyed our 2013 and 2015 campaigns. I think at one point in 2013 we had 10 first 22 players missing.
Had a big say last year too

No love lost

That's a wind up surely. Isn't Collingwood the team that just pipped North by a point? And only with some late help from the umpires.

That's a wind up surely. Isn't Collingwood the team that just pipped North by a point? And only with some late help from the umpires.
True. But coming back from 50+ points down in the THIRD qtr against any team displays a tremendous amount of heart and should not be underrated due to their opponent's position on the ladder. They are a threat to us especially if we are fortunate to make the Grand Final...and it's against them.

True. But coming back from 50+ points down in the THIRD qtr against any team displays a tremendous amount of heart and should not be underrated due to their opponent's position on the ladder. They are a threat to us especially if we are fortunate to make the Grand Final...and it's against them.
I agree any team is a threat, but I don't see the Pies as our biggest threat. We had a 63 point turnaround on the weekend and it barely got a mention.

North have learned nothing. Teams that try to shut the shop and hang onto their lead are vulnerable to the Pies running in waves. We did too in the '22 PF, but we still squeaked in. When the Pies shift into that all or nothing mode they leave themselves open to a fast counter-attack on turnover. This year the Pies have had the same number of 5 goal runs kicked against them as the 5 goals runs they've kicked.

The Pies model almost relies on the media hyping them up like a bogeyman. Swans are a much more frightening spectre when it comes to fast scoring. Every team will fear that whatever lead they have it against us will have gone by the third quarter and then it's only a matter of by how much we beat them

Had a big say last year too
IMO Sydney's advantage goes much deeper than just a lucky year for injuries or even our improved depth. Continuity is the biggest factor. It's important in any team sport and our list change (at senior level) has been minimal over the past 3-4 years.

I was watched Rd 2 2021 Sydney v. Adelaide last night. What struck me was I could almost have been watching Rd 14 2024 Adelaide v. Sydney. The style of play was instantly recognisable

Only two of that Rd 2 2021 team have left for other teams. A bunch have retired, but their replacements have been well picked and the handover/mentoring has been well managed.

Hewett, Buddy, Kennedy, Hickey, Franklin, Dawson, Reid, Parker and Ling were in that days' 22

swapped for

Roberts, Jordon, Rowbottom, Taylor, McLean, Grundy, Melican and Amartey in last weekend's 22.

The real changes in that time have been the refinement of our game style and the growth of our young players.

Our game style emerged as far back as 2020. In 2021 the finished product emerged but it's been honed since. We've learned ways around when the corridor is guarded off. We're better defensively, getting back into defensive shapes faster on turnover, which allows us to take on risky plays without exposing ourselves.

In Rd 2 2021 the old stagers like Cunningham, Lloyd, Parker and Rampe are already the finished product, but many young players, like McInerney and Warner, are still making their names, attempting some of the same moves they are now well known for. McInenerney lacked polish and Warner lacked strength. Gulden was born finished. Campbell looks that way too, super silky and super confident. He shows signs but I hope he gets that back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back