Preview Sydney Vs North Melbourne - A Danger Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you think Roberts, Wicks, Campbell, etc. are better footballers than Luke Parker??? Especially for a side heading into Finals... righto...

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk
That's not the question though is it. He's a better inside mid and lead/mark forward than those guys, but they offer things Parker doesn't too.

That's not the question though is it. He's a better inside mid and lead/mark forward than those guys, but they offer things Parker doesn't too.
If he's a better lead/mark forward than Wicks - and also a better tackler and ball winner - then I'm super interested to hear the argument for keeping him out of the side that doesn't revolve around "he can run faster"

The question is.
Is Parker better than Adams?
Cause let's be real.
Taylor will grab Heeneys mid minutes in combination with Mills.

If he's a better lead/mark forward than Wicks - and also a better tackler and ball winner - then I'm super interested to hear the argument for keeping him out of the side.
He's a better mid and in congestion at F50 stoppages. At being a defensive fwd, chasing and corraling rebounding defenders, give me Wicks.

There's not one type of "forward".
And Wicks is a worse pressure forward than Hayward, so lets have Hayward play as a pressure forward and Parker as a marking forward given you suggested that Parker is a better marking forward than Wicks

Looks like Adams is the one that's keeping Parker out. It's an interesting dilemma that we didn't face last year.

People call him to be dropped but I think he's impactful in our ground level game and gets highly involved in the attacking chains. Had a good final quarter too last week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Define forward.

We already have three relatively slow forwards.

Parker is exceptional in marking in congestion or at stoppages.

Tackling, harrassment, pressure.
Yeah nah
Wicks averages 1.71 tackles a game, even Joel Amartey averages more tackles then him a game at 1.9.
Pressure wise, Wicks is worse than Adams, Jordan, Hayward & Papley. I don't see the legs he has to stand on that he is a mythically good pressure forward.

They're allowed their opinions
Yeah, I mean I have my thoughts about Parker coming in this week (same with Mills tbh), but I understand and would love the idea of a club champion coming in and rocking the Joeys with some crunching tackles, kicking a few insane goals.

I just find it head scratching that we've all of a sudden got Mills, Roberts, Fox and Campbell in the same team. It's a complete different look
I can't help but feel that at present we are picking a group of individuals and then trying to shoehorn them into a team.

I posted about it earlier this week;

And I stick by my conclusion that;
'IMO Fox is the best defender of the 3 and should take the Cunningham role in deep defence, Campbell rotating wing and HF and I don't think we should play all 3 in the same team.' (the 3rd being Roberts).

The introduction of Mills off no game time this season potentially just makes the problem worse.

It makes much more sense IMO to bring Parker in to play the Heeney mid/hf role than retain Roberts.

My take, and I've been consistent on this - we keep talking about what Parker is, how good he is, what he can do. But we don't actually know.

He's been training, but has he been training well?

Last I saw of him in the VFL I thought he wasn't moving all that well (and he's not exactly the rest of our mids in terms of dynamism at the best of times) and he looked scratchy with the ball, even in his third or fourth VFL game in a row on return from the broken arm.

Maybe that's the version of Parker that's been training the last several weeks throughout his suspension.

I think Horse deserves a lot more credit that he's obviously seeing something - or maybe not seeing something - that he wants from Parker on the track.

It's not like he would've just lost faith in the guy he's picked in the team every week when fit since 2012, voted B&F multiple times, who captained his team and is likely to be the last of his premiership players, all for no reason.

Define forward.

We already have three relatively slow forwards.

Parker is exceptional in marking in congestion or at stoppages.

Tackling, harrassment, pressure.
Yeah nah
What tackling? What pressure? What harassment?

Nobody defended Stephens' place in the side because he covered the ground well.

I can't help but feel that at present we are picking a group of individuals and then trying to shoehorn them into a team.

I posted about it earlier this week;

And I stick by my conclusion that;
'IMO Fox is the best defender of the 3 and should take the Cunningham role in deep defence, Campbell rotating wing and HF and I don't think we should play all 3 in the same team.' (the 3rd being Roberts).

The introduction of Mills off no game time this season potentially just makes the problem worse.

So what you're saying is close to finals the club loses the plot :p?

Wicks averages 1.71 tackles a game, even Joel Amartey averages more tackles then him a game at 1.9.
Pressure wise, Wicks is worse than Adams, Jordan, Hayward & Papley. I don't see the legs he has to stand on that he is a mythically good pressure forward.
It's not all about pressure. He's got a manic style of play and is able to consistently break away from his opponent. This creates space and options forward of the ball. Scraps well and gathers uncontested balls a fair bit in our link up play leading to goals, and is good for 1 or 2 himself.

You need that player in today's game, a good example is McCreary at the pies. He doesn't always rack em up and is MIA quite a bit at times, but his energy in creating space and gathering where others cannot is so important to them.

If you put your mind back, alot of our poor patches after good patches in the last couple of years has lined up with Wicks absence.

Maybe the coaching staff have assessed Parker’s GPS numbers (from the reserves games he played) and perhaps even at training, and feel he’ll be 1 to 2 yards off the pace in the seniors?

In any event, IMO there are only 2 positions he can play in our current setup and game style… one would be for Adams’ spot and the other would be at full forward (for Amartey or McDonald). Don’t really like either of these options, but I can’t see him fitting any other roles atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back