Talia.... Why isn't he getting the love he deserves?

Remove this Banner Ad

Freddy Bassett

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 2, 2005
At Work
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PANTHERS,CHELSEA
Every week I watch him I think to myself, " this performance will shut up his doubters"....

It doesn't.... What the hell are people expecting from him? Phil Davis was very highly regarded as a negating defender.... I would like to know what he was doing that Talia isn't at the same age? ( apart from shoulders )

Last night he kept a champion forward very quiet... But it wasn't good enough because Riewoldt had a niggle.... What a load of crap! Most players would of had a niggle last night...

He could do better offensively and with time I am sure he will. Davis is still no offensive giant..

I thought Talia was great last night. He was playing on one of the best in the game, and held his own. Didn't give Reiwoldt any space, forced him to mark well or not at all.

I agree Freddy. Has been great all year in my view, and is slowly developing a more attacking edge to his game also.

It's nice to hear Sando talk so glowingly about him last night though. He's obviously getting plenty of love from within, which is the main thing.

Because defense is a team game and the credit needs to go to the senior guys who help him beat his opponent .

On a less sarcastic note designed to show the stupidity of Vaders post, at the start of the season CHB potentially was going to be a weakness. But he has stepped up where it's no longer a concern. Brilliant at shutting down his player. What I was surprised about last night was how quick he is. I always thought he was a plodder.

He needs to win a rising star nomination because in a year where no one has really blitzed the field he deserves to be up there for the job he is doing week in week out.

He's been very damn good. Very impressed with his work and have now got quite a lot of confidence seeing him in the backlines.

Rucci, only a 5/10 from him.
He said doubter not w***er.

Rucci was on 5aa this morning trying to justify his rankings. He said since he gave Thommo 8 everyone else was relative, the flaw in that logic was only giving Thommo 8 and not 9. Danger only got 7. And then you had muppets on the Port ranking scoring above our guys because it was done by Capel. Stupid process.

I liken it to the Petrenko syndrome - they both do a lot of hard, intense work which does not reflect in the stats.
I reckon Talia has settled in great at CHB and his game is expanding with the more experience that he gets.
His close-in work is very good and he makes his opponent really earn any contested mark/posession (Talia reminds me a lot of Silvagni the way he uses his body very flexibly and his fists) and with each game he is displaying more and more offensive actions. He is an excellent reader of the play.
IMO he will be a very good KPP and easily a 200 game player - an excellent pick up at pick 13.

Its time those AFL selectors recognised him with the rising star nomination which he has more than deserved for a while now, given that he is a KPP defender having directly beaten opponents such as Reiwoldt, Pods, Dawes etc etc whereas a lot of the other winners were midfielders allowed to run around like headless chooks without direct opposition.

He's getting plenty of love from me! He's getting better each game and already has some impressive scalps. Will be a great key defender for the club for the next 10 years.

Surely he doesn't have many doubters left?

Supposedly getting chewed out on 5aa after the game....

I see him every bit as good as Davis, but with 2 good shoulders... God I love Rendell

Solid start to his career last season but questions over his pace and disposal. No achilles problem this season, pace is fine and the Stevens kicks have disappeared. A major, major plus.

A 10 year key defender who can play on the No 1 forwards... huzzah! And no new expansion clubs on the horizon :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He reminds me so much of Fletcher. He is rangey, gangley & just makes you earn every kick. If you take the mark then you will have those pointy knees and elbows poking into you to let you know it aint gonna be easy. Closing speed and spoiling timing has increased significantly. Anyone bagging him is a clown who has never played the game. What he does is damn hard to do without giving away free kicks these days.

He's starting to win me over. Carl mentioned his two areas of critique, plus very early days he looked a bit timid in the SANFL as a boy against men for the first time. I was warming up to him, then the Showdown performance was a step back but since then has been performing so well I'm more confident with him defensively than Rutten.​
Attack on contest...tick.​
Pace/athleticism, will never be quick but it seems sufficient...tick.​
Kicking...will always look average but is now making good decisions within his limitations under pressure...tick.​
Shutting down dangerous opposition forwards...tick!!!​

Agree I think Rutten has been great for him. He seems a really hard as nails defender in the making, just love it when they make the forward earn it. Loved it when he used big Nick as a landing pillow - that had to hurt! Reminds me of Basset actually.

This thread (and the Shaw one) has me thinking...

Say Bock and Davis never left, is it fair to say that Talia and Shaw would have barely played for us at this stage (or possibly not at all) and we'd currently be wondering whether they should be put in the trade/delist pile with Symes? It's even possible that Shaw might have already been delisted due to his injury troubles.

Now here we are claiming that both could potentially offer us more than Davis ever could.

What a difference a bit of opportunity can make!

Also, it's clear that Rendell can see into the future.

Think everyone needs to understand Talia is a work in progress.

Very unusual for a 196cm 20 YO KPP to be playing consistently in the AFL first of all

Secondly the coaches have been IMO keeping him on a tight leash of what he can & can't do on the field, restricting his kicking and getting him to handball wherever possible ....defend being his 1st, 2nd, and 3rd option before offense.

It appears his mantra has changed recently in that he is looking to kick more now than handball .......just part of his development IMO

This kid is going to be very good and we'll see a more attacking Talia in the future ....not the presti type that he is currently being labelled with

Because defense is a team game and the credit needs to go to the senior guys who help him beat his opponent .

On a less sarcastic note designed to show the stupidity of Vaders post, at the start of the season CHB potentially was going to be a weakness. But he has stepped up where it's no longer a concern. Brilliant at shutting down his player. What I was surprised about last night was how quick he is. I always thought he was a plodder.

He needs to win a rising star nomination because in a year where no one has really blitzed the field he deserves to be up there for the job he is doing week in week out.
Give it a rest. That comment was about a player who was performing so outstandingly well that he was dropped this week. Dropped due to poor form, not "rested" as some of his blinkered supporters would have us believe.

Talia has done exceptionally well so far. He doesn't give much in the way of offensive power, but boy does he do a great job of stopping his opponent. You won't find anywhere that I've been more critical of him than that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Talia.... Why isn't he getting the love he deserves?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back