Team Mgmt. Talk about the makeup of our list - midfield balance, height profile, endurance runners

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In good midfields you don’t have designated blockers or chasers. Players just read the field and act accordingly to the field that’s laid out before them.

It depends. When you've got Dusty, Petracca, Oliver or Fyfe you can set up around them.

Why you would set up around Parish is beyond me. No where near dangerous or good enough. It's just coming up with reasons to maintain what we have out of sentiment.

I do understand that Hobbs is something different to what the other guys in the midfield do, my point remains though that the more team orientated foot soldiers can be found later in the draft.
Agree. I do not think we have to pick a midfielder straight up if there is a better player that is not a midfielder. I have been on it for years about not picking the likes of Luke Parker or Jack Graham in the 30 - 50 range of the draft. I will say this and that is if there is a team beast midfielder with genuine leadership and running power then we take him. We need the star team player as much as we need the Jack Graham mid draft. I know we need KPF but if we can not get the footy to him then he can not kick goals.

What is wrong with you people bringing up Merrett and Parish as trade bait, are you nuts. I'm pretty brash with my calls but even I wouldn't go there.

They are our pillars for the structure. Fix up the rest of the field and culture and they'll push forward. The problem isn't them, it's our dumb blindness in not cleaning out Heppell, Francis, pursuing with Zerk, Stewart as defenders when one is a dud and the latter is a forward at best, and putting our hopes on VFL-dimes and venerating B-grade footballers in Snelling, Durham, Waterman, Baldwin and making dumb trades like Kelly instead of focusing on actual big bodied players that can accommodate Zach and Darc.

Let it be known that until we stop trying to be Richmond 2.0, until we clear out Dodo, until we give Heppell his jacket and start giving up more than what we expect back, we will not be a side worthy of a flag.

Anyway back to Shiel.
Parish is a pillar built on sand. His total disregard to defending is one of our biggest issues. Of course if down hill skiers float your boat then that is fine. :)

Parish is a pillar built on sand. His total disregard to defending is one of our biggest issues. Of course if down hill skiers float your boat then that is fine. :)
He was better with the defensive stuff when he was playing as a small forward. Something about being at the coal face idk.

This crazy fix the midfield and all is ok at Essendon talk here is just as bad as our board of directors and the whole culture.

Let me spell this out for everyone quite simply.

MIDFIELD > DEFENCE > FORWARD LINE

Lets look at fixing our defence and forward line before we rush into trying to create a midfield of Hird, Judd, Ablett, Dangerfield to paper the cracks of the rest of the 22.

FFS.

This crazy fix the midfield and all is ok at Essendon talk here is just as bad as our board of directors and the whole culture.

Let me spell this out for everyone quite simply.

MIDFIELD > DEFENCE > FORWARD LINE

Lets look at fixing our defence and forward line before we rush into trying to create a midfield of Hird, Judd, Ablett, Dangerfield to paper the cracks of the rest of the 22.

FFS.

I'm quite convinced you haven't watched modern football if you think the midfield is the last thing we should address.

We can talk about that big bodied midfielder all we want but until we address the real elephant int he room, we will maintain the myriad of mediocrity for another 20 years.

Smith is finished
Waterman offers nothing but (trying to) kick goals
Francis should be delisted at years end
Guelfi played some forward and didn't lay a tackle (at all during the game)
We were resorting to playing Bryan and Draper as KPF due to no size up fwd.

I know we have injuries but we have no depth to even attempt to cover these injuries. Just putting players in to fill that position, not through natural list management. Another indictment on Adrian Dodoro.

I understand not wanting to blame injuries but with no Hooker, Stringer, Jones, Tipungwuti or Snelling you are taking out 5 of last years 6 starting forwards which will truly **** any forward line.

Obviously Hooker is the exception, I think retiring him with zero plan to replace him is a massive failure by the club. We are seeing how very important he was, everyone talked about how cooked he was, but he kicked 35 goals and was a hugely important target. We walked him out the door with nothing to replace him.

What is this side missing to compete around 2026? Ages at that point in brackets.

B: Mason Redman (28) - Zach Reid (24) - Jayden Laverde (30)
HB: Andrew McGrath (27) - Jordan Ridley (27) - Nik Cox (24)
C: Elijah Tsatas (21) - Ben Hobbs (22) - Zach Merrett (30)
HF: Nic Martin (25) - Harrison Jones (25) - Kyle Langford (29)
F: Sam Draper (27) - Peter Wright (29) - Tex Wanganeen (22)
R: Nick Bryan (24) - Darcy Parish (28) - Archie Perkins (24)
I/C: Jye Caldwell (25) - Alwyn Davey Jr. (21) - Sam Durham (24) - Will Snelling (28)

What is this side missing to compete around 2026? Ages at that point in brackets.

I/C: Jye Caldwell (25) - Alwyn Davey Jr. (21) - Sam Durham (24) - Will Snelling (28)
Thing is, most of those players are best 22 players right now. There’d need to be a lot of improvement from within if this team was to be competitive in 2026. I feel like we need 2 more KPD, another Key forward and a couple more big bodied midfielders. We are just too small.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Proper CHB (be surprised if lav's body holds up until 30. Slide ridley back).

Someone other than hobbs as a contested beast in the middle

Not a lot is going to change until we get players who’s nature is the play a more physical game. Right now it is not in the nature of a lot of these guys to play hard uncompromising football.
We play most weeks without applying any physical pressure.
We just can’t afford to draft anyone that is not a super competitor from this point.

Not a lot is going to change until we get players who’s nature is the play a more physical game. Right now it is not in the nature of a lot of these guys to play hard uncompromising football.
We play most weeks without applying any physical pressure.
We just can’t afford to draft anyone that is not a super competitor from this point.

Might mean sacrificing a highly credentialed assistant coach but I’d argue we need to break the bank on player development and strength and conditioning just as much as look at the type of player we get in the door.

Might mean sacrificing a highly credentialed assistant coach but I’d argue we need to break the bank on player development and strength and conditioning just as much as look at the type of player we get in the door.
My experience is it is either in a person’s nature or it is not. No amount of development changes that. We have a line up of assistant coaches all from successful systems anyway.

My experience is it is either in a person’s nature or it is not. No amount of development changes that. We have a line up of assistant coaches all from successful systems anyway.

Fair comment, perhaps they all need to change just as much.

Forwards are so hard to replace.

Until 2017 our forwardline was atrocious for years post Lloyd then we finally had Danhier, Fantasia, Tippa, Hooker, McKernan for 1 season.

Now we are down to the injured Stringer.

We desperately need to find 2 small forwards that are super fast. No more Guelfi's, Smith's and Cahill's of the world.

Hopefully the Davey Twins can be something immediately as it is a position where natural talent exceeds moreso than needing to develop like talls do.

Forwards are so hard to replace.

Until 2017 our forwardline was atrocious for years post Lloyd then we finally had Danhier, Fantasia, Tippa, Hooker, McKernan for 1 season.

Now we are down to the injured Stringer.

We desperately need to find 2 small forwards that are super fast. No more Guelfi's, Smith's and Cahill's of the world.

Hopefully the Davey Twins can be something immediately as it is a position where natural talent exceeds moreso than needing to develop like talls do.
In spades. When the ball hits the deck it is transported with lightspeed to the opposition forward line. Tippa's retirement has made the situation dire. More pressing than a big bodied midfielder IMO.

We have no pure speed, in fact the opposite.

We should be getting as many games into Wanganeen as possible.

49 entries for 48 points is atrocious.

I understand not wanting to blame injuries but with no Hooker, Stringer, Jones, Tipungwuti or Snelling you are taking out 5 of last years 6 starting forwards which will truly duck any forward line.

Obviously Hooker is the exception, I think retiring him with zero plan to replace him is a massive failure by the club. We are seeing how very important he was, everyone talked about how cooked he was, but he kicked 35 goals and was a hugely important target. We walked him out the door with nothing to replace him.
Chuck Langford into that group too. Think we would have used him forward even more this year. Can’t wait till he returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back