Team Mgmt. Talk about the makeup of our list - midfield balance, height profile, endurance runners

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Merrett/Parish/McGrath midfield is not winning a final.

Merrett’s a gun who I think would be a better two-way player with the right midfielders around him. He’s at least shown the ability/want to defend in the past, but he needs some bigger/defensive guys around him who are willing to block/put their body on the line

Parish is an accumulator with below average skills who seems to think that because he gets 20 sideways/backwards handballs a game, that for some reason excuses him from defending. I’d trade him for a 1st rounder from any club if it was on offer.

McGrath is a defender, but the club’s too stubborn to admit it. McGrath would be about 5x better than Heppell in his current position.
Stringer + merrett + parish with a brayshaw added though.
Esp with caldwell, hobbs, langford, perkins and martin in support.

Shiel isnt stringer and we're severely missing 2021 stringer

Stringer + merrett + parish with a brayshaw added though.
Esp with caldwell, hobbs, langford, perkins and martin in support.

Shiel isnt stringer and we're severely missing 2021 stringer

We are, but I think we need to accept Stringer is going to be a part time player from here on out. Brayshaw, at least on paper, would be a massive get and seems to be exactly what we need.

We are, but I think we need to accept Stringer is going to be a part time player from here on out. Brayshaw, at least on paper, would be a massive get and seems to be exactly what we need.
Sadly de goey is the perfect one, but comes with warning signs everywhere. Dont trust our culture for him to come in.

Brayshaw would be slightly different. Id bring him in for the shiel role (blocks/clearances).

Whats the chances bevo alienates bailey smith and we walk him to the psd :)

We need to draft that stringer replacement. Too expensive to get from another club.

A Merrett/Parish/McGrath midfield is not winning a final.

Merrett’s a gun who I think would be a better two-way player with the right midfielders around him. He’s at least shown the ability/want to defend in the past, but he needs some bigger/defensive guys around him who are willing to block/put their body on the line

Parish is an accumulator with below average skills who seems to think that because he gets 20 sideways/backwards handballs a game, that for some reason excuses him from defending. I’d trade him for a 1st rounder from any club if it was on offer.

McGrath is a defender, but the club’s too stubborn to admit it. McGrath would be about 5x better than Heppell in his current position.

100% this. I would trade Parish in a heartbeat if it meant more balance and a better team. It would hurt a little bit seeing him thrive elsewhere because we drafted him, (and honestly, this is probably why he is allowed to be less accountable than others defensively), but he would also yield us the greatest return out of these three. I am also of the opinion that he isn't always the most damaging player out there. Almost to the point that if I was an opposition coach, I don't even know if I would tag him.

I've said it before, but with McGrath, I would sooner a Luke Hodge- or Wanganeen-esque back than a B-Grade midfielder. Not everyone has to be an inside bull.

We need players who love the contest, Parish, Merrett, McGrath are the problem, they aren't the types we need. Cripps, Green, Oliver, Mills, Wines, Boak, Steele even chad Warner, I love the way this kid plays. Brodie, Brayshaw, so many just none at Essendon, even with all the top picks we have had over the last 20 years not to have 1 is horrendous.
Wouldn't exactly say they are the whole problem. You still need those types of players but you need the guys who play similar to who you've mentioned in order to bring the best out in them. The lack of balance that we have is killing us right now.

So once again it's on Dodoro?
It's a mix IMO.

Him & the coaching staff have to take a big part of the blame for either not prioritizing/securing the balance that we need. The guys on the field also need to take the blame for their lack of defensive effort as well. They don't get a free pass.

Gonna do a delusional fire sale version of my usual spiel:

5 years: Kyle Langford
3 years: Nick Hind
2 years: Andrew McGrath, Archie Perkins, Kaine Baldwin, Matt Guelfi, Nik Cox, Zachary Reid
1 year: Andrew Phillips, Cian McBride, Cody Brand, James Stewart, Josh Eyre, Patrick Voss, Tex Wanganeen, Alex Hird

Delist: Brayden Ham, Alec Waterman, Tom Cutler
Retire: Dyson Heppell, Michael Hurley, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti

Trade:

1. Darcy Parish and Devon Smith for pick 12 and F1 (Geelong, pick up 250k of Darcy)
2. Zach Merrett for pick 13 and F1 (St. Kilda, pick up 250k)
3. Dylan Shiel, Aaron Francis and pick 21 for pick 11 and 55 (Port, pick up 250k)
4. Pick 11 and F1 (Geelong/Saints) for Tom Green and Xavier O'Halloran
5. F4 for Jack Payne
6. Pick 75 for for Toby Bedford

FA:

Give Angus Brayshaw 5 years at 800k so they get band 1, front load the contract

Draft:

Pick 3: Elijah Tsatas (186 cm/79 kg Inside Midfielder)
Pick 12: Oliver Hollands (184/74 IM)
Pick 13: Mattaes Phillipou (188/79 Outside Midfielder/Medium Forward)
Pick 18: Alwyn Davey (181/74 Small Forward/Outside Midfielder)
Live trade F2 and F3 for pick 30, take Anthony Munkara (183/75 Small Forward)
Match bid on Jayden Davey (181 Small Forward)

List Breakdown:

Defenders:

Key Defenders: Nik Cox (fwd), Brandon Zerk-Thatcher, Zachary Reid, Josh Eyre (fwd), Cody Brand, Jack Payne
Medium Defenders: Jordan Ridley, Jayden Laverde, Jake Kelly
Small Defenders: Andrew McGrath (mid)*, Nick Hind, Mason Redman, Alastair Lord, Garrett McDonagh

Midfielders:

Inside Midfielders: Jye Caldwell (fwd), Ben Hobbs (fwd), Archie Perkins (fwd)*, Tom Green, Angus Brayshaw (def), Elijah Tsatas, Oliver Hollands
Outside Midfielders: Kyle Langford (fwd), Sam Durham (def), Matthew Guelfi (fwd/def), Nic Martin (fwd), Xavier O'Halloran, Matteas Phillipou (fwd)
Rucks: Sam Draper, Nick Bryan (fwd), Andrew Phillips

Forwards:

Key Forwards: James Stewart (def), Peter Wright (ruc), Harrison Jones, Kaine Baldwin, Cian McBride (def/ruc)
Medium Forwards: Jake Stringer (mid), Patrick Voss (def)
Small Forwards: Will Snelling (mid), Tex Wanganeen, Tom Hird (mid), Alwyn Davey (mid), Anthony Munkara, Jayden Davey, Toby Bedford

*These two only happen if the fire sale happens.

Theoretical Seniors:

FB: Jayden Laverde - Zachary Reid - Jake Kelly
HB: Andrew McGrath - Jack Payne - Jordan Ridley
MF: Kyle Langford - Jye Caldwell - Nic Martin
HF: Will Snelling - Harrison Jones - Archie Perkins
FF: Jake Stringer - Peter Wright - Toby Bedford
OB: Sam Draper - Tom Green - Angus Brayshaw
IC: Mason Redman - Xavier O'Halloran - Elijah Tsatas - Ben Hobbs
MS: Sam Durham

Theoretical Reserves:

FB: Cody Brand - Brandon Zerk-Thatcher - Josh Eyre
HB: Nick Hind - Nik Cox - Garrett McDonagh
MF: Sam Durham - Oliver Hollands - Mattaes Phillipou
HF: Alwyn Davey - James Stewart - Jayden Davey
FF: Tex Wanganeen - Kaine Baldwin - Cian McBride
OB: Nick Bryan - Matthew Guelfi - Tom Hird
IC: Patrick Voss - Anthony Munkara - Alastair Lord - Andrew Phillips

Both. Neither. Whichever you choose.

Confused Friends Tv GIF

2 years: Andrew McGrath, Archie Perkins, Kaine Baldwin, Matt Guelfi, Nik Cox, Zachary Reid
1 year: Andrew Phillips, Cian McBride, Cody Brand, James Stewart, Josh Eyre, Patrick Voss, Tex Wanganeen, Alex Hird

Trade:

1. Darcy Parish and Devon Smith for pick 12 and F1 (Geelong, pick up 250k of Darcy)
3. Dylan Shiel, Aaron Francis and pick 21 for pick 11 and 55 (Port, pick up 250k)
5. F4 for Jack Payne

FA:

Draft:

List Breakdown:

Defenders:

Key Defenders: Nik Cox (fwd), Brandon Zerk-Thatcher, Zachary Reid, Josh Eyre (fwd), Cody Brand, Jack Payne
Small Defenders: Andrew McGrath (mid)*, Nick Hind, Mason Redman, Alastair Lord, Garrett McDonagh

Midfielders:

Inside Midfielders: Jye Caldwell (fwd), Ben Hobbs (fwd), Archie Perkins (fwd)*, Tom Green, Angus Brayshaw (def), Elijah Tsatas, Oliver Hollands
Outside Midfielders: Kyle Langford (fwd), Sam Durham (def), Matthew Guelfi (fwd/def), Nic Martin (fwd), Xavier O'Halloran, Matteas Phillipou (fwd)

Forwards:

Key Forwards: James Stewart (def), Peter Wright (ruc), Harrison Jones, Kaine Baldwin, Cian McBride (def/ruc)
Small Forwards: Will Snelling (mid), Tex Wanganeen, Tom Hird (mid), Alwyn Davey (mid), Anthony Munkara, Jayden Davey, Toby Bedford

Theoretical Seniors:

Theoretical Reserves:

Do it Dodo
do it jewish GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trade:

5. F4 for Jack Payne

FA:

Draft:

List Breakdown:

Defenders:

Midfielders:

Forwards:

Theoretical Seniors:

Theoretical Reserves:

since we're doing delusional
retire Hurley early & LTI Cox - 2x MSD picks. what ya got?

One thing that surprises me... for ages people have been pointing out we have deficiencies in the midfield, whether it be type of player, attitude or being too nice. And yet it seems most of our recent leaders are midfielders or ex midfielders.

One thing that surprises me... for ages people have been pointing out we have deficiencies in the midfield, whether it be type of player, attitude or being too nice. And yet it seems most of our recent leaders are midfielders or ex midfielders.
Learnings are flankers don't make great mids. just took 18 years to realize this.

Last edited:
deficiency has been the imbalance
Also Heppell is/was a flanker.

deficiency has been the imbalance
Also Heppell is/was a flanker.

True, but I meant VCs and leadership group as well. Leadership at our club seems based more on popularity than good leadership skills.

One thing with the midfield 'mix', even the addition of Hobbs as it sounds like he is simply another ball hunter. Who is going to block? run defensively? pick up Parish's man to allow Darcy to hunt the ball?

This is where we shouldn't be using first round picks on more midfielders, I would be going something different and picking up those role players later in the draft. Midfielders are dime a dozen, we have literally taken something like 3 U18 mids since 2010 (yes, I did look this up) outside the first round. Alarming and a big reason why we are so lopsided imho.

One thing with the midfield 'mix', even the addition of Hobbs as it sounds like he is simply another ball hunter. Who is going to block? run defensively? pick up Parish's man to allow Darcy to hunt the ball?

This is where we shouldn't be using first round picks on more midfielders, I would be going something different and picking up those role players later in the draft. Midfielders are dime a dozen, we have literally taken something like 3 U18 mids since 2010 (yes, I did look this up) outside the first round. Alarming and a big reason why we are so lopsided imho.
Not sure you have the right read on Hobbs. The guys who block and run defensively are also allowed to win hard footy. Hobbs is a true competitor. That’s what we need.

Not sure you have the right read on Hobbs. The guys who block and run defensively are also allowed to win hard footy. Hobbs is a true competitor. That’s what we need.
I do understand that Hobbs is something different to what the other guys in the midfield do, my point remains though that the more team orientated foot soldiers can be found later in the draft.

In good midfields you don’t have designated blockers or chasers. Players just read the field and act accordingly to the field that’s laid out before them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back