Tarryn Thomas - The next superstar?

Remove this Banner Ad

Davies uniacke is the real prima donna, thoma is just the flashy sideshow but he can kick a lot of goals though...

Re. Thomas, from very early on in his playing career you could see the class and sense he had a bright future. It may have been just a misperception on my behalf, but a negative was that he seemed quite soft and unwilling to put his body into a contest. And he had a poor tank. Now I know he came in as an 18 year old and he can't be expected to bully around seasoned pros from the get go, but it was that hesitancy to even commit which I saw as a bit of a concern.

My question to North fan's (as I haven't kept up with his trajectory): 1) do you think his contested work and "mongrel" can be improved with continued focus strength and conditioning, or is he a more naturally "timid" player. Note that he has a very high ceiling in other areas so this is not implying he's not a gun.

He was born in Sydney, didn't move to Tasmania until he was 12, but he played rugby as a kid, he was identified as a potential rugby talent as a kid and joined the Penrith Panthers' development academy. If you play rugby, you do not really have a contested ball problem.

He isn't really an inside midfielder, he is more of a balanced midfielder, so this year he is currently 41.2% contested disposal rate, which is similar for Simpkin, LDU is around 43%, Scott 30%, Powell 32%, Stephenson 27% and 35% for Phillips. Cunnington, who is a season inside beast, is going at 57% contested possession. So Thomas is at a healthy rate for a balanced midfielder in the role he plays.

2) Where do you see him spending most of his time if he were to develop his midfield craft to the level of elite inside mids? Personally despite what I said about him seeming timid, he's just so bloody skilful by foot I'd want it in his hands in open space as much as possible - forget having him try be the extractor.

Bit of a ramble there but yea TT's potential is unlimited. If he can increase his contested ball winning/ball winning in general and start to do that on a regular basis, then we will be talking in a few years about arguably the best player in the league. Lot of if's there though.

Bont's CPR this year is lower than Thomas. So I don't think that is a significant factor. The big difference is Bont weighs 93kg vs Thomas 76kg so he is far more capable of breaking tackles. Thomas is never going to have the physique of someone like Bont and it doesn't make much sense trying to play that way. He has come along way this year, his footy came a long way this year. How high his ceiling is and how hard does he work to achieve it is anyone's guess. It is obvious that the direction we are going now suits his strengths a lot more than how Scott/Shaw wanted to play.

At present he is a handy goal kicking mid, I hope that is what he continues to focus on.

Thomas has the same aura as a young McLeod, Burgoyne, Goodes and Franklin all possessed.

Exploding game by game.

Does he have the potential to join the Petracca and Bontempelli group?
Lol. Created by a North fan as well. I'm sure creating a thread comparing his "aura" to some of the greatest players in AFL history will end well.

There are many people who want Thomas banned for life from the AFL for his treatment of women. Some of those same people were ok with a man beating the crap out of a women in the boxing at the Olympics? Strange world we live in.
do you prefer to sniff paint in the morning or the evening?

They're very different players. I can't imagine Bont ever doing this:

He just doesn't move that smoothly. He especially didn't before he'd even played 10 games.

I don't think much of Bont, tho he is playing well this year. I was just having a go at that poster cos I think he's a bit of knob. No one is comparing him to Bontempelli, they are saying he is a "Bontempelli like player". I don't think he's Bontempelli like myself. He hasn't gone crying to the media about one of his own players ducking into a tackle after we lost a game, or anything else, yet.

As he reached your expectations yet?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Tarryn Thomas - The next superstar?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back