List Mgmt. Team 2014 (out: BJ, DJ, AD, AK, JR, DT, HS, JP, CG; in: JW, Adams, PK, Armstr, 6, 10, 67, Dwyer, Ox)

Remove this Banner Ad

Assuming Armstrong in the PSD and Kelly in the rookie draft under Father Son we now have one other position on the list after picks 6 and 10..

Pick 67 now becomes a wildcard entry for a Hine special, if he doesn't see anything he likes then he elevates Martin (along with Dwyer) and goes to the rookie draft to take a punt
I think we have to nominate our intended rookie upgrades by 1st list lodgement next week, hence we have to make the call before the draft.
I would upgrade 2 rookies now (Dwyer & Martin), add Armstrong in delisted free agency period.
Have 2 nominated rookies (Hudson & Frost). Add Kelly plus 1 more on rookie list (with Oxley & Yags).
Add Edwards to cat B rookie list (with Mooney), with room for 1 more cat B rookie from somewhere?

Also good point raised on trade radio before, we have huge salary cap room to play with at the end of next year to target a free agent. The room we've created this year and Dane Swan's 850k contract coming to an end of next season. Exciting times for our list development.

With the gap in the cap next year, surely we will rewrite a number of contracts and bring forward payments to this year so we have tons of space next year. Pendles might be on 1 Million this year and $300K next....

It's a pretty sorry list, only Witts has survived and he is no certainty of having an AFL career

Young is doing well at the Bulldogs. I think Hartley showed a lot of promise but was cruelled by shoulder injuries.

I consider the other rookie options, the Irish, the internationals and the guys who had not been registered at a club when assessing this experiment.

We got some good value out of Clarke the first time round. We still have Mooney and he could come good. But the real jewel in all of this is Keeffe. We picked him up as the sole player that was unregistered at a club. He had only played a handful of games for his high school team in Gympie. Now he looks to have a promising career ahead of him as a key defender.

Team 2014
38 - 8 (Shaw, BJ, Jolly, Krak, Dids, Russell, Paine & the other bloke) = 30
Add White, Adams, Karnezis = 33
If we add Armstrong then 34.
Upgrade 2 rookies Dwyer & Martin? = 36
Draft picks 6 & 10 = 38 players senior list

Nominated rookies 2: Hudson & Frost?
Rookie list: Yagmoor, Oxley (2 empty slots)
Cat B Rookie list: Mooney (2 empty slots)

Hine must decide if we upgrade 2 rookies next week or go with 3 live picks in the draft (assuming Armstrong is coming, which appears to be the case).
The naming of nominated rookies will be held over until 2014 (after pre season matches).
Looks as though Gault & Yagmoor are safe at this stage (unless Hine feels there is some late pick potential in the draft......but doubtful, as he does not rate this draft apparently).

I gave our best side a crack:

FB Keeffe, N.Brown, Toovey
HB Seedsman, Reid, O'Brien
C T.Adams, Beams, Sidebottom
HF Swan, J.White, Goldsack
FF Fasolo, Cloke, Elliott
FOL Grundy, Pendlebury, Ball

INT Macaffer, Karnezis, C.Young, J.Thomas

DEPTH (in no particular order): Witts, Q. Lynch, Maxwell, Hudson, B.Kennedy, B. Sinclair, Broomhead, K. Martin, Dwyer, M. Williams, Blair, Armstrong*

Now throw in picks 6 and 10 - makes for a very young team. I like it.

Fast forward a year, all the kids have another 15-20 games under their belt. Q. Lynch/Maxwell/Hudson out the door, a good trade or two (don't rate Sinclair/Kennedy too highly), cash in the salary cap to go for a gun free agent - 2015 is looking really really good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB Keefee, N.Brown, Toovey

DEPTH (in no particular order): Witts, Q. Lynch, Maxwell, Hudson, B.Kennedy, B. Sinclair, Broomhead, K. Martin, Dwyer, M. Williams, Blair, Armstrong*

Fast forward a year, all the kids have another 15-20 games under their belt. Q. Lynch/Maxwell/Hudson out the door, a good trade or two (don't rate Sinclair/Kennedy too highly), cash in the salary cap to go for a gun free agent - 2015 is looking really really good.

Keeeeeeeeeefeeeeeeeeeeee

FB Keeffe, N.Brown, Toovey

surely Marley is a starting 22 player!

FB: Reid Keeffe Toovey
HB: Seedsman Brown Williams
C: Ball Beams O'Brien
HF: Adams White Sidebottom
FF: Fasolo Cloke Elliott
FOL: Grundy Pendlebury Swan

BENCH: Kennedy Thomas Young
SUB: Broomhead

Good mix of height, speed and experience, still unsure about that running HB position.

FB: Reid Keeffe Toovey
HB: Seedsman Brown Williams
C: Ball Beams O'Brien
HF: Adams White Sidebottom
FF: Fasolo Cloke Elliott
FOL: Grundy Pendlebury Swan

BENCH: Kennedy Thomas Young
SUB: Broomhead

Good mix of height, speed and experience, still unsure about that running HB position.

I had a pretty similar setup.

Interesting that some of the "role players" in Goldsack, Blair, Macaffer, Sinclair, Dwyer not there, as well as Maxwell, I also struggled to include them in my best 22. I guess if the quality of your emergencies says something it says that we are able to cope with the first few injuries ok before things get hairy.

Bump.

For those who are confused about what draft picks we have that are in play ... The thread title attempts to confuse even more.

Hine is on record as saying we'll be going with the same list number strategy as last year (ie: 38 on the main list post draft and upgrade 2 rookies pre-season). It would seem that one of those will need to be Hudson.

So the number of "outs" will be the same as the number of "ins".

We have 8 outs ...

Ben Johnson
Darren Jolly
Alan Didak
Andrew Krakouer
Jordan Russell
Dale Thomas
Heath Shaw
Jackson Paine

So we need to recruit another 8 to replace them. So far we've recruited 4 ...

White
Adams
Karnezis
Armstrong

And the club has committed to upgrading 2 rookies to the senior list

Dwyer
Oxley

So that leaves 2 players left to recruit (2 = 8 - 4 - 2) and they will be pick 6 and pick 10. Dwyer and Oxley will be upgraded with picks 67 and 85.

So sorry folks, there ain't gunna be no "Hine Specials" in this year's national draft.

But just in case he does spot one he's got 2 list lodgements to go.. Clarke and Gault would feel justifiably nervous until then

Surely they would both know where they stand now? (as Shaw and Paine did). And if the players know, then there's no reason for the rest of the world not to know? Better to get it out of the way.

It's in the club's best interest to handle the nasty business of list management as respectfully as possible. Karma always returns to bite back.

Inconsistency, changing minds, recruitment-on-the-run would seem to be the acts of less professional clubs.

Gault I think is thought of much more highly of by the club than he is by most posters on bf,where not many have much time for him.
Whenever I read a story about Gault it always seems to me that he does featured in the clubs plan for the future as the people who have the most to do with him ie the coaches think well of him.
I would think also that he would fit well into the new culture the club is aiming for,as he looks like a boy who keeps his head down and will not cause any problems for the club.

I think Clarke will also remain on the list for 1 more season purely as depth though as Ramsay Oxley and Broomhead will go past him.I am happy the club the club have upgraded Oxley because he deserves it and after a rocky start he also seems to be getting better as a player and even more importantly as a person offield.

I think Marley and Seedsman have also both gone past Marty and the most thing now is to re sign Ben Reid to a long term deal ie at least 3yrs would be perfect but 4 would be great too.:thumbsu:

Gault I think is thought of much more highly of by the club than he is by most posters on bf,where not many have much time for him.

Yeah, the thing about Gault is that nobody has any idea about what the club has planned for him; or what aspects of his game the club wants him to work on.

IIRC he started the year in forward line, then moved to defense, and ended up in the ruck before closing off the season not playing at all. Folks speculated he was going to be delisted, but given he hasn't been then he must have been injured.

Off the top of my head, Gault is potentially the only developing KPF on our list? No way is he going.

I think Clarke will also remain on the list for 1 more season purely as depth though as Ramsay Oxley and Broomhead will go past him.I am happy the club the club have upgraded Oxley because he deserves it and after a rocky start he also seems to be getting better as a player and even more importantly as a person offield.

Clarke is contracted. He reportedly has a strong work ethic. Couldn't imagine the club replacing him with a pick #67.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Team 2014 (out: BJ, DJ, AD, AK, JR, DT, HS, JP, CG; in: JW, Adams, PK, Armstr, 6, 10, 67, Dwyer, Ox)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back