Team Vs Port Adelaide - POWER OUT

Remove this Banner Ad

I think there wil be a late change but it will be one of the talls. Goldstein is the only player in our 22 that has been selected in a VFL side as well. Hope that if they do drop Goldstein, they bring either Jones or Lower. Lower could be a good matchup for Ebert

Do you see how silly that statement is that we should play the blokes who will play in our next flag side.

How can anyone predict when we are going to win a flag and the players who make up that team? Simple fact is you can't. Some of those players might not even be drafted yet.

There is still a game to be won on the weekend and the Selection committee have to make decisions based on alot more than youtube highlight videos and hypothetical premiership teams.

I think we have done a good job of playing the young blokes and the good thing is that most of them have been good enough to have made an impact rather than just being played for the sake of playing them.

Unless the theory is broken, I'm sticking to it. 70's we won our first 2 premierships then in the 80's we were there abouts, then came the 90's with another 2 premierships and we sit in the 00's sitting there abouts again.

Coincidence that we had the krakouers in the 80's and Campbell and Thomas in the 00's.

I'll follow this pattern until I'm proven wrong.

Can't agree with that TT, we had all the run in the last quarter and lost it because we couldn't take a grab in the forward 50.

Sad reflection of our season, but i reckon the Dogs game was the best we have played so far.

Selecting Goldy for the Dogs game wasn't the blunder, dropping him against the Hawks was.
Bringing in an extra ruckmen in the wet wasnt a blunder? Youd be on your own there.

Bringing in an extra ruckmen in the wet wasnt a blunder? Youd be on your own there.

I agree with him. And I didn't before the game.

Have you noticed how many stoppages are created due to poor conditions? We tried to build on our strength rather than try to scratch together an improvement on our weakness and then chase their arse all day. And it basically worked.

IMO, the mistake was not playing him the week after v Hawthorn.

I agree with him. And I didn't before the game.

Have you noticed how many stoppages are created due to poor conditions? We tried to build on our strength rather than try to scratch together an improvement on our weakness and then chase their arse all day. And it basically worked.

IMO, the mistake was not playing him the week after v Hawthorn.
The Dogs were coming back from Perth and we did run out of steam in the last 10 minutes.
It was wet as shit and we were tall before an extra lumberer was brought in. Honestly cant see any way of justifying perhaps the biggest selection blunder of modern times. (Apart from Watt and Power)

The Dogs were coming back from Perth and we did run out of steam in the last 10 minutes.
It was wet as shit and we were tall before an extra lumberer was brought in. Honestly cant see any way of justifying perhaps the biggest selection blunder of modern times. (Apart from Watt and Power)
You dont exaggerate much, time for your anti depression pills buddy - "biggest selection blunder of modern times", give me a spell.

Hamish is released forward because Goldstein is playing. He marks any one of 45 chances late on and we win. You'd still find something to blame the selection panel for because you're a flog, but everyone would proclaim a work of genius.

I'm normally inclined to agree with Zebs and NB, but I'm with RN1 all the way on this.

The selection error was compounded by Dean's bullshit claim that he thought Goldy went well, when we all saw that he didn't (mainly because Dean gave him eff-all game time, probably because the conditions didn't suit. Go figure). Then, given this claim that Goldy went well, Dean dropped him for the next game, one in which most of us thought he was suited. Go figure.

I'm a fan of Goldy and pleased to see him back in. Even with three other talls, given conditions will suit (Dome), plus the fact that Drew and Hale should stay in key positions, H and Goldy is a great ruck combo. I'd be happy for that ruck combo to play all year, subject to form, and drop Hale when conditions don't suit 4 talls. Actually, Hale is already on his last chance, IMO.

Hamish is released forward because Goldstein is playing. He marks any one of 45 chances late on and we win. You'd still find something to blame the selection panel for because you're a flog, but everyone would proclaim a work of genius.
It was WET and didnt suit the marking forward or the RUCKS MARKING FORWARD. Jesus give it a break, we all have brains, use it.

It was WET and didnt suit the marking forward or the RUCKS MARKING FORWARD. Jesus give it a break, we all have brains, use it.

Hamish went forward and they had nothing, the Dogs. No answers. They were guessing. He clunks two of those chances we beat a side who made a prelim the year before.

You would have been wrapt we lost. Allows you to bleat and whinge like a fairy.

Give us a bigger moronic selection blunder?
Well the first one that comes to mind is when Charlie Tyson (who was captain coach at the time) dropped himself for Billy McCabe in Round 2 of 1928. Unbelievable.

Didn't Goldy spend about 90% of the last qtr on the bench?

The members in our area were all scratching our heads asking why pick a bloke when it's wet and then leave him off the ground for 3/4 qtrs of the game.

Anyway on topic, pretty happy with the ins and outs this week apart from the obvious "Watt The?"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hamish went forward and they had nothing, the Dogs. No answers. They were guessing. He clunks two of those chances we beat a side who made a prelim the year before.

You would have been wrapt we lost. Allows you to bleat and whinge like a fairy.
Dogs are pus this year, only you and JYD dont think so. Not sure why Laidleys opinion is needed on a forum like this, we all know it well. When is LT going to kick that 6 goals to justify your intense worship? 2 wrongs dont make a right.
I think we will beat Port and will be happy for it.

Didn't Goldy spend about 90% of the last qtr on the bench?

The members in our area were all scratching our heads asking why pick a bloke when it's wet and then leave him off the ground for 3/4 qtrs of the game.

Anyway on topic, pretty happy with the ins and outs this week apart from the obvious "Watt The?"

IIRC, he had about 40% game time. It was drizzling but we're making it sound like it was pouring.

It was the best game we've played and we could have/should have won for so many reasons, including Hamish's butter fingers and the fact that Dean picked Hamish and then didn't have the confidence to play him on the ground.

What Goldy did while he was on the ground was OK for a 4 game veteran. I'm still in shock that he was dropped the following week when we were playing 'indoors' against a weakened Hawthorn.

Water under the bridge.....question is, can we regain our form from the Bulldogs game?

IIRC, he had about 40% game time. It was drizzling but we're making it sound like it was pouring.

It was the best game we've played and we could have/should have won for so many reasons, including Hamish's butter fingers and the fact that Dean picked Hamish and then didn't have the confidence to play him on the ground.

What Goldy did while he was on the ground was OK for a 4 game veteran. I'm still in shock that he was dropped the following week when we were playing 'indoors' against a weakened Hawthorn.

Water under the bridge.....question is, can we regain our form from the Bulldogs game?

Yeah the dropping of Goldy the next week was the real perplexing one for me, too.

I think with the happenings of the last week or so along with a couple of returning regulars and some fresh blood, we can give the Port game a real shake.

Just on Ben Ross, his form had dropped off in the last 2 rounds in the VFL, but maybe he is the type of bloke who can respond to the bigger occasion. Look at Lachie Hansen,... was pretty ordinary in the two's, start's getting some real game time in the ones and bang, he's off and flying.Not saying Benny has the same natural ability as Lachie, but fingers crossed.:)

I hope Wellsy comes back fit and firing, and matty C regains his run and willingness to take the game on.

These three in's alone can give the side some real run and drive.

Just on Ben Ross, his form had dropped off in the last 2 rounds in the VFL, but maybe he is the type of bloke who can respond to the bigger occasion. Look at Lachie Hansen,... was pretty ordinary in the two's, start's getting some real game time in the ones and bang, he's off and flying.Not saying Benny has the same natural ability as Lachie, but fingers crossed.:)
To be honest I dont think his drop in form has been as drastic as some people are saying. He had a shocker against Willy but the conditions meant this was no ordinary game of football. I am willing to disregard all players form in these conditions, we wont see the same conditions in the AFL, especially at the dome (obviously) or MCG where stands provide that much shelter.

Last week he had a solid game without being outstanding. He definitely didnt have a cracker but it wasnt a stinker at all. And we dont know what was asked of him so hard to judge whether performance was average or better. Anyway worse case scenario was that he was good without being great.

Lets hope he handles the step up in class, his pace and carry and liveliness will be required against the Power.

other than Watt I think they got the selections pretty much spot on..Port have quality talls and quicks..the guy who worries me is Tredrea...if he is on his game then who will stop him....Drew to CHB from the start...

Hale needs to kick 4+...Edwards probably the same if we are to get close...

their defence is settled and their midfield is up there with the best...

the boys need to be accountable this week...or it could get ugly..

I'm normally inclined to agree with Zebs and NB, but I'm with RN1 all the way on this.

The selection error was compounded by Dean's bullshit claim that he thought Goldy went well, when we all saw that he didn't (mainly because Dean gave him eff-all game time, probably because the conditions didn't suit. Go figure). Then, given this claim that Goldy went well, Dean dropped him for the next game, one in which most of us thought he was suited. Go figure.

I'm a fan of Goldy and pleased to see him back in. Even with three other talls, given conditions will suit (Dome), plus the fact that Drew and Hale should stay in key positions, H and Goldy is a great ruck combo. I'd be happy for that ruck combo to play all year, subject to form, and drop Hale when conditions don't suit 4 talls. Actually, Hale is already on his last chance, IMO.

THIS is pretty much where I was coming from Zebs, as summed up by LtK.........and I include the last paragraph in that as well.

The talls will work, in the right conditions, AS LONG AS Hale's performing in his role as well. The delivery forward should improve this week *fingers crossed* and Hale has to be strong in the contested marking contests, ala Geelong last year, and grab the bloody ball like it's his newborn baby and he's trying to save him/her from hitting the ground! Half arsed marking attempts from him end up making us one tall too many!

Let's hope this is his breakthrough game for '09! I love Goldy so his selection's a good one FOR JIHAD DOME'S PERFECT CONDITIONS. Hopefully he'll tap to advantage and our midfield will give us first possession out of the middle.

The talls will work, in the right conditions, AS LONG AS Hale's performing in his role as well. The delivery forward should improve this week *fingers crossed* and Hale has to be strong in the contested marking contests, ala Geelong last year, and grab the bloody ball like it's his newborn baby and he's trying to save him/her from hitting the ground! Half arsed marking attempts from him end up making us one tall too many!
Hale is only part of the issue TT. I cant remember how many times I've seen Hale one out with his (shorter) opponent with the ball kicked up in the air heading towards the couple, only to see one of our guys trying to pluck one from behind and spoiling Hale in the process.

And its been our senior most experienced guys that do it. FFS, Petrie and Pratt should know better. More often than not our two up and one of the opposition leaves the second attackers opponent free to clear the ball away. Stupid, stupid football.

Play petrie down back while Lauchie is out. Hale in the square with Thomas or Campbell at his feet and and Edwards roaming around the 50 metre line and wing.

Hale is only part of the issue TT. I cant remember how many times I've seen Hale one out with his (shorter) opponent with the ball kicked up in the air heading towards the couple, only to see one of our guys trying to pluck one from behind and spoiling Hale in the process.

And its been our senior most experienced guys that do it. FFS, Petrie and Pratt should know better. More often than not our two up and one of the opposition leaves the second attackers opponent free to clear the ball away. Stupid, stupid football.

Play petrie down back while Lauchie is out. Hale in the square with Thomas or Campbell at his feet and and Edwards roaming around the 50 metre line and wing.

I agree that there are a few issues contributing to Hale's lack of form, including the point highlighted, and you can include the slowness of ball movement and crappy delivery as well. However, of the one out opportunites he HAS had, he's been too weak in the contest, when his height and weight advantage should've seen him impossible to beat. THAT's where he must improve.

The forward setup you mention at the end is what we wanted at the start of the year and, now Azza's returned and looked pretty good, we finally get it. I hope they all play out of their skins!

Hale needs to keep his feet and actually use his strength to his advantage. So frustrating watching him go to ground so easily when we should be exposing his height :mad:

I agree that there are a few issues contributing to Hale's lack of form, including the point highlighted, and you can include the slowness of ball movement and crappy delivery as well. However, of the one out opportunites he HAS had, he's been too weak in the contest, when his height and weight advantage should've seen him impossible to beat. THAT's where he must improve.

The forward setup you mention at the end is what we wanted at the start of the year and, now Azza's returned and looked pretty good, we finally get it. I hope they all play out of their skins!
Agreed. He has been poor. His mates havent helped, but he has been poor.

What's worse is, these new rule interpretations should be perfect for a guy like him. Get front spot, kick the ball in the air on his head, he should mark or free kick at least 50-75% if he is one out.

I like Petrie as a CHB while Lockie is out, and with Goldy in should be no need for him to pinch hit in the Ruck either.

Edwards as a roaming half forward has always been a good play. Gives the forward line a much more balanced look, and if Matty or LT aren't firing Ross can fill their role. Kids got good goal sense.

I like Petrie as a CHB while Lockie is out, and with Goldy in should be no need for him to pinch hit in the Ruck either.

Edwards as a roaming half forward has always been a good play. Gives the forward line a much more balanced look, and if Matty or LT aren't firing Ross can fill their role. Kids got good goal sense.
Yeah and Warren has shown he can 'drop back to space' to outrun his opponent and mark. There are many reasons why we should open up our forward line. But they seem to prefer to line up from the ball up with a straight line of six guys from the goal line to the square. Wierd. Would have thought more advantage to play a couple of forwards as wingers and have them running towards our goal not away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Team Vs Port Adelaide - POWER OUT

Remove this Banner Ad

Back