The Bar - Beer, Wine & Spirits Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Oooh yeah, that Nail Red Carpet is sublime, an improvement on their already great Red Ale. The Mash Red Cat is also well worth a look.

Missed the chat about Innate but I agree that they produce some excellent beers, their coffee milk stout that is doing the rounds at the moment is delicious.

I also have not had a Shelter beer that has really impressed me yet. Had a pint of the Squid Ink XXPA at Old Faithful over the weekend and wouldn't rush back for more.

Oooh yeah, that Nail Red Carpet is sublime, an improvement on their already great Red Ale. The Mash Red Cat is also well worth a look.

Missed the chat about Innate but I agree that they produce some excellent beers, their coffee milk stout that is doing the rounds at the moment is delicious.

I also have not had a Shelter beer that has really impressed me yet. Had a pint of the Squid Ink XXPA at Old Faithful over the weekend and wouldn't rush back for more.
Whilst I agree on Shelter, I had their newly released stout on the weekend and it was bloody solid! First beer from them I have got around

Million bucks doesn't get you too far. I would say they're expanding at their current premises (usually by way of additional fermenters, perhaps some solar or waste water recovery/green initiatives).

The owner has found some good ways to get funding/approval for the operation. If I recall, those warehouses were all dead to the world in Burswood and the local council said they'd basically green light any type of business just to inject some life into them. At the time other councils were shitting on any micro brewery plans and creating way too much red tape.

Million bucks doesn't get you too far. I would say they're expanding at their current premises (usually by way of additional fermenters, perhaps some solar or waste water recovery/green initiatives).

The owner has found some good ways to get funding/approval for the operation. If I recall, those warehouses were all dead to the world in Burswood and the local council said they'd basically green light any type of business just to inject some life into them. At the time other councils were shitting on any micro brewery plans and creating way too much red tape.
Do you work in hospo? Always know so much inside word

Had a few pints of the Mash Red Cat up at the Kalamunda Hotel a few weeks back, is a top shelf beer. Not surprised considering how good Copy Cat is.

Do you work in hospo? Always know so much inside word

Nah. I work in construction 🤣

But I have a now dormant beer blog/Instagram page which opened a lot of doors, and before my son was born did plenty of chatting to those in the mix. I don't think the Burswood/Blasta thing is any secret though. And when it comes to Federal funding I'm just taking a guess that one of the main ways they'd cough up any cash might be to turn a business green. Brewing is particularly wasteful, from the sheer volume of water required at all stages, power needed, waste product created (spent grain)..

But I have a now dormant beer blog/Instagram page which opened a lot of doors, and before my son was born did plenty of chatting to those in the mix. I don't think the Burswood/Blasta thing is any secret though. And when it comes to Federal funding I'm just taking a guess that one of the main ways they'd cough up any cash might be to turn a business green. Brewing is particularly wasteful, from the sheer volume of water required at all stages, power needed, waste product created (spent grain)..
Soooooo what you're basically saying is that I should start a beer blog/insta page for some door openings to more beer?

as.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Soooooo what you're basically saying is that I should start a beer blog/insta page for some door openings to more beer?

View attachment 1167536

Pretty much, although that space is quite saturated now. Back then there weren't many doing it. Guy (good times craft beer) and Pia (girl plus beer) were the two already established, but Guy got a lot more into it in the last few years. Pia was always pretty consistent.

Can't remember which brewery over east it is, but they were championing the sales of their spent grain to local farms for cattle feed. Dunno why more breweries don't get onboard something similar as it's good PR, great for waste management and could even make them a few bucks back.

Pretty much, although that space is quite saturated now. Back then there weren't many doing it. Guy (good times craft beer) and Pia (girl plus beer) were the two already established, but Guy got a lot more into it in the last few years. Pia was always pretty consistent.
Oh yeah I follow them. Guy takes ripper photos. It kinda pisses me off coz the photos are so good that I end up getting sucked into buying the beer but about a quarter of the beers he posts aren't super sub par haha

Can't remember which brewery over east it is, but they were championing the sales of their spent grain to local farms for cattle feed. Dunno why more breweries don't get onboard something similar as it's good PR, great for waste management and could even make them a few bucks back.
Pretty sure Beerfarm do this

Yeah they're quite environmentally focused.
You ever been to one of their steak nights? ****ing mind blowing. Pretty sure their ethos for that is breeding enough cattle so that they always have young cattle coming through and growing up on the property and giving them full lives before they turn into delicious meat. As in they always have a consistent number of the same cattle on the property at any given time. I explained that like shit but I'm sure you get it

Oh yeah I follow them. Guy takes ripper photos. It kinda pisses me off coz the photos are so good that I end up getting sucked into buying the beer but about a quarter of the beers he posts aren't super sub par haha

His photo game improved out of sight. Was run of the mill and then started reading up and researching some aps for post editing and stuff. Took off from there. Was only using an old clunker iPhone too.

You ever been to one of their steak nights? ******* mind blowing. Pretty sure their ethos for that is breeding enough cattle so that they always have young cattle coming through and growing up on the property and giving them full lives before they turn into delicious meat. As in they always have a consistent number of the same cattle on the property at any given time. I explained that like sh*t but I'm sure you get it

Burnt ends smoking co do some really good food! But how good is the system they've got? Brew beer -> feed cow -> feed punters while they drink your beer brewed with the grain to feed the cow.

His photo game improved out of sight. Was run of the mill and then started reading up and researching some aps for post editing and stuff. Took off from there. Was only using an old clunker iPhone too.

Burnt ends smoking co do some really good food! But how good is the system they've got? Brew beer -> feed cow -> feed punters while they drink your beer brewed with the grain to feed the cow.

Brewception

You ever been to one of their steak nights? ******* mind blowing. Pretty sure their ethos for that is breeding enough cattle so that they always have young cattle coming through and growing up on the property and giving them full lives before they turn into delicious meat. As in they always have a consistent number of the same cattle on the property at any given time. I explained that like sh*t but I'm sure you get it

No I have not, alas I'm not down south as much as I'd like to be these days.

No I have not, alas I'm not down south as much as I'd like to be these days.

Book in to Beerfarm for the Friday night next time you head down. What a way to kick off your next stay. It's not overly cheap food, but the wife and I got their big T bone platter and we stood no chance of finishing it. It'll fill the kids up.

Burnt Ends arguably doing the best BBQ in WA. Big Don's is bloody good but I think Burnt Ends do better brisket. Beerfarm are a smooth operator. I know a few people who work for them and they speak so highly of the whole organisation

Remove this Banner Ad

The Bar - Beer, Wine & Spirits Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back