Autopsy The Good (lol!) The Bad and the Beveridge.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we are actually in agreement. I was responding to posters who thought it was unfair to put Buku in the role he found himself in on the weekend.

I don’t think it was unfair.

A difficult assignment for him, sure, but not an unreasonable one.
Not unreasonable?

About a 3rd of the goals we conceded were from poor play, and another 3rd was avoidable because we put too much pressure on players to overcome size differences.

Buku and Richards were both victims of this. How can it be reasonable to play A WHOLE GAME, not just a few minutes here or there, against opponents who are 4inches taller.

FFS!

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Makes you miss the “rat pack” who were a bunch of assholes on and off the field, they either all retired or were moved on because they were “too difficult” to deal with.

Redpath, Biggs, Smith, Dalh, Boyd, Hunter, Stringer, Jong & Libba, the only remaining one from the group.

You can throw in picko too - lovely bloke off the ground, but ruthless on it. Won us a flag - forever grateful.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Correct, when you push an extra up to the contest and they keep a player back that is a strategic decision the opposition is taking to give up territory knowing they’ll more then offset that with easy mop-ups and rebound.
Yeah still doing this is mind blowing, teams are try to create more space around their stoppages to work in and every time we did it the Dees rearranged their defence and had Lever sitting in the hole. It was clear as day from level 2 behind the goals.

How can we be so incompetent? This hasn’t worked in 3 years and we still insist

Makes you miss the “rat pack” who were a bunch of assholes on and off the field, they either all retired or were moved on because they were “too difficult” to deal with.

Redpath, Biggs, Smith, Dalh, Boyd, Hunter, Stringer, Jong & Libba, the only remaining one from the group.

Boyd?

Quite enjoyed Lobb letting Max roam free for the outlet kick about 4 times, only chasing him when he realised the ball was going to him then overcommitting and falling over after Max had completed the uncontested marks.

Macrae shirks the coalface work? In what dimension? Blokes been on the bottom of the pack more than anyone in his tenure.
I'm talking about Bailey Dale, zero tackles yesterday. Macrae too slow to chase when the opposition get the run on.

They posted bevos post match presser on youtube. No usual talking to improve and positives. Looks very disappointed and talks about what went wrong. Also Macrae wasn't included because he's recovering from injury and had an interrupted preseason with a hamstring.

I’ve seen a lot of Dale bashing in this thread, but we had and have bigger problems.

Everyone knows his best strength is his kicking out of defence, but the main problem with that is too often he’s gone for a “risky option” because no teammate has worked to give him the right option.

I’ve said it multiple times before and it was evident yesterday, we don’t run, lead and create space anywhere near as much as an AFL team should.

An old school dragging of McNeil would’ve been suffice (worst game I’ve seen from a Bulldog since VDM in that Freo final), but it was the right call to take Sanders out. He was gassed and I thought he really struggled with the pace of the game at times.

Sanders will be fine, some debuts work out like that with mids and he was against good opponents. Expect him to take a lot out of that match.

I was really impressed with Gallagher, he just looks a player. Not completely there yet, but has got plenty to work with. Bramble was handy and agree with some here that Buku wasn’t as bad others think.

Yeah some of the selections stunk (is that all Bevo, though?) but the players have to take responsibility.

Our defence spoiling each other (I think it was English both times?) got the Dees rolling with a few gifts in that first quarter, while Weightman and Naughton were doing the same at the other end all game (say what you like about Lobb, but he gets himself into much better positions aerially than those 2).

We had enough momentum to probably hit the front in the third quarter and simply couldn’t capitalise. Maybe it’s a different game if we take those chances, that’s what you’ve got to do against good sides.

Frustrating, but not losing faith after one match and a lot of that work will naturally tidy up. The response this week is what’s most important.

McNeil was terrible, but he demanded selection because of pre season form ( unfortunately)
But we also had a lot of senior players well down.

Gawn , Oliver and Petracca must wake up in the morning when playing us , and think the world is a wonderful place.
Absolutely no change in how we handled them just waltzing out of stoppages and centre bounces.

Having 2 Milton The Monsters as ruckman don’t help either ! ( some of you older blokes will get the drift )
Season Over 2024.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still can’t believe we had Daniel as the sub. It just stinks of arrogance. The bloke is a leader, versatile and besides Bont, the best kick at the club.

VDM and McNiel over him in the worst selection I’ve ever seen.

Wait until this week and the week after that and that? We have a whole season of bizarre, negligent, lose before the game starts selection decisions to come.

Is it a truth universally acknowledged that Weightman flys for too many marks and spoils out KPFs? I think so. Bev either agrees with this or he doesn’t. If he doesn’t fine, I have been wrong before ( once in the early eighties I think it was) and Weightman probably has “ a licence to fly for his marks”. But if Bev does agree then he has probably told Weightman to stop doing it. But Weightman doesn’t stop . Is this what is meant by losing the players?
Given Weightman continues to be selected the only conclusion is that Bev is happy with what is happening. Fair enough Bev does know more about football than me.

Is it a truth universally acknowledged that Weightman flys for too many marks and spoils out KPFs? I think so. Bev either agrees with this or he doesn’t. If he doesn’t fine, I have been wrong before ( once in the early eighties I think it was) and Weightman probably has “ a licence to fly for his marks”. But if Bev does agree then he has probably told Weightman to stop doing it. But Weightman doesn’t stop . Is this what is meant by losing the players?
Given Weightman continues to be selected the only conclusion is that Bev is happy with what is happening. Fair enough Bev does know more about football than me.

At what point does he get dropped?

It's at the point now where he destroys potential scoring opportunities with these desperate attempts to be the hero in every situation.

Enthusiasm is great, but there also has to be some ability to use the brain. Having said that he's far from alone in our 22 right now when it comes to not using the brain.

I’ve seen a lot of Dale bashing in this thread, but we had and have bigger problems.

Everyone knows his best strength is his kicking out of defence, but the main problem with that is too often he’s gone for a “risky option” because no teammate has worked to give him the right option.

I’ve said it multiple times before and it was evident yesterday, we don’t run, lead and create space anywhere near as much as an AFL team should.
It's not Dale bashing, it is simply the opposition know his kicking was a strength so for the last 2 seasons work hard to close down options as they know he will still take the risky kick.

It worked for one season, but has not worked for a while. Defensively down back is not a strength so we his strength evaporates as it has for a fair chunk of time now, change it up and see if his attributes can be used elsewhere, particularly when we do have a gaping hole on our wings

At what point does he get dropped?

It's at the point now where he destroys potential scoring opportunities with these desperate attempts to be the hero in every situation.

Enthusiasm is great, but there also has to be some ability to use the brain. Having said that he's far from alone in our 22 right now when it comes to not using the brain.
Play him up higher where there is more space. Use his marking for his height as an advantage, like Toby Greene does, not try to make him something he is not. Also get him to more center bounces

David King’s comment yesterday on SEN was spot on.

Because Weightman doesn’t play as a small, we have 4 marking targets in him, Jamarra, Naughton and Lobb.

Therefore we have to play McNeil and VDM to apply pressure (you could argue they don’t even do that though).

The problem being, McNeil and VDM aren’t AFL standard players.

Because Weightman doesn’t play as a small, we have 4 marking targets in him, Jamarra, Naughton and Lobb.

Therefore we have to play McNeil and VDM to apply pressure (you could argue they don’t even do that though).

Then Clarke, Scott or Bedendo come in and we hope they can apply the pressure we need.

In separate interviews last year (I Think) both weightman and spangher both said that he had a licence to fly for his marks

Yep one of JUH, Naughton and Lobb/Darcy has to go out of the forward line. Either Naughton goes back, JUH goes to the wing or the Lobb/Darcy role is removed from the 22 and we use someone like Keith or JOD as a backup ruck.

I thought that's why we got Harmes.

Charlie Clarke has a bit of that about him. One of the few non-APS Victorians we've drafted in forever. I think it's time we try and fast track him. Play him deep forward pocket, by god we need one. I don't think we'll see much change for next week but I want to see him sooner rather than later and hope his VFL game goes ok.

Yep one of JUH, Naughton and Lobb/Darcy has to go out of the forward line. Either Naughton goes back, JUH goes to the wing or the Lobb/Darcy role is removed from the 22 and we use someone like Keith or JOD as a backup ruck.
How about weightman goes out until he learns to play like a small play Lobb Darcy Naughton jamarra Clarke and west that forward line actually looks dangerous, and have the smalls in the middle full forward and chf, play the talls as forward pockets and high half forwards so there are 2 seperated focal points going forward instead of the traditional one, just a thought

Last edited:
An old school dragging of McNeil would’ve been suffice (worst game I’ve seen from a Bulldog since VDM in that Freo final), but it was the right call to take Sanders out. He was gassed and I thought he really struggled with the pace of the game at times.

Sanders will be fine, some debuts work out like that with mids and he was against good opponents. Expect him to take a lot out of that match.

I was really impressed with Gallagher, he just looks a player. Not completely there yet, but has got plenty to work with. Bramble was handy and agree with some here that Buku wasn’t as bad others think.

Yeah some of the selections stunk (is that all Bevo, though?) but the players have to take responsibility.

Our defence spoiling each other (I think it was English both times?) got the Dees rolling with a few gifts in that first quarter, while Weightman and Naughton were doing the same at the other end all game (say what you like about Lobb, but he gets himself into much better positions aerially than those 2).

We had enough momentum to probably hit the front in the third quarter and simply couldn’t capitalise. Maybe it’s a different game if we take those chances, that’s what you’ve got to do against good sides.

Frustrating, but not losing faith after one match and a lot of that work will naturally tidy up. The response this week is what’s most important.
That's a good considered response. I think we need more of that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy The Good (lol!) The Bad and the Beveridge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back